Music On at Pacha & Destino

Don't ask me why.... but I decided to listen to the most recent Marco Carola set from the Music On Festival this weekend just gone and all I kept thinking, is how much further his sound has softened again, even further than what it had in the last two years. For me, verging more towards the housey end of the spectrum (and bang obvious house, think 'you used to hold me') as opposed to the monotonous tech house sound that he seems to have adopted in the 2/3 years prior to that. Could he be potentially toning it down for Pacha as the per the rumored instructions given to him upon changing venue? Either way, it surprised me... I rarely listen to a set from Marco but he's sound has changed so drastically in the last 5 years it's incredible!

All said and done I found it a really truly uninspiring set - really poor and in some parts obvious track selections, with one or two exceptions - always good to hear 'Sterac - Asphyx'. If there was one thing I could admire about Marco in years gone by it was his technical ability as a DJ and even that seems to have gone out of the window for the most part here, some really poor mixing/transitions.

https://www.mixcloud.com/ricardo-barattea/marco-carola-live-music-on-festival-2019-amsterdam-120519/

On another note Cassy in the second room every week is absolutely superb! Can imagine the music and crowd in there on a Thursday will be great - that's a major coup for me!

Every video i watched from said festival was just draining tech house. Absolute bore

I went to Music On festival, I personally thought it was the best festival I have been to in terms of atmosphere, musically was also very good. Everyone dancing and having a good time.

Watching videos on your phone doesn’t have the same affect as being there. Also how you can say tech house is boring is beyond me. There is shit tech house don’t get me wrong, Fisher for example. But the music being played at the festival was quality tech house and house. Music to make you want to dance. Which is what dance music is all about? Personally tale of us and Solomun bore me to tears but that’s just me. Most people on this forum disagree.

Well said @Luke_beefa , there's garbage music in every sub-genre. Techouse done properly can be beautifully enlightening. I see a lot of bashing of this subgenre on this forum. Likely basing that hatred on live sets or Dj's, not time spent browsing a genre when shopping for music.

Coming from someone who still spends too much time and money on beatport after not being active in the scene, I can assure you I browse thru lots of new music of all genres and its a hard job picking one track out of every 100 you listen to.

Its music tho, cant please everyone.

Well said, there's garbage music in every sub-genre. Techouse done properly can be beautifully enlightening. I see a lot of bashing of this subgenre on this forum. Likely basing that hatred on live sets or Dj's, not time spent browsing a genre when shopping for music.

Coming from someone who still spends too much time and money on beatport after not being active in the scene, I can assure you I browse thru lots of new music of all genres and its a hard job picking one track out of every 100 you listen to.

Its music tho, cant please everyone.
A single track and a 2hr set of the same sounding loop cannot be compared though...

15th august is a confirmed music on daytime thing at destino - matthias tanzmann just posted his summer dates and it's up there.

obviously more to come.

Am i right in thinking that Pacha wouldve said, play here Marco and any fines we will foot the bill? Wouldnt pay out his own pocket surely

tech-house has become such a lazy catch-all term. The stuff Carola plays compares to people like Fisher is miles apart, yet they all seem to get this ‘tech-house’ label attached by people who don’t happen to like the music.

Just to echo the sentiments above Pacha's and Luca Dea's IG showing Pacha as VERY busy last night throughout the night as I'm sure we would have all guessed. The dancefloor did look considerably darker too which can only be a good thing!

tech-house has become such a lazy catch-all term. The stuff Carola plays compares to people like Fisher is miles apart, yet they all seem to get this ‘tech-house’ label attached by people who don’t happen to like the music.
Don't use labels.. enjoy the now...?

Back