Mobile phones in clubs

so you can only have a good time in a club if drunk or drugged? I disagree.

It wasn't meant like that at all. I'm just trying to end the whole phones in clubs thing. At the end of the day we all know they'd be better off not involved in clubbing but, phones are here to stay. We'll all have to learn to live with them as realistically there is no way of stopping them.

That and the few beers I've had after work, listening to the Diggers mix from Space a couple of weeks ago in anticipation for my trip in 3 weeks!:eek:

There is a slight difference between a fixed installed camera and someone waving their smartphone into your face.

DJ's are beginning to accept it, some may not like it, some are definitely embracing it.....but they all know it's a sign of the times. You only have to look at their Twitter feeds, some are putting up video's of themselves.

Sure someone will quote the Richie Hawtin incident yet again, but those are few and far between

aah yes videos. so fundamental aren't they when listening to music

I didn't know what certain DJs looked like for years - for a long time I thought Joey Negro was from New York via Puerto Rico! Until it was brought to my attention that he actually came from Essex via the Isle of Wight.

for a while there were two DJ Pierres - one Yank and one Italian. This caused endless, amusing confusion as did Orbital and The Orb.

and all sorts of sneaky middle of nowhere promoters claimed Sasha was on the local lineup after the Son of God nonsense in the early 90s - but a lot of people had no idea what he looked like. It could have been the caretaker playing.

and the point is, nobody really much cared either....

Like most I'm not really a fan of phones in the club but its a tough thing to enforce. Output in Brooklyn for examples explicitly states "No pictures or videos" yet you still catch people taking them on night's especially where its more crowded and security is worried about other concerns. I dont see any harm in catching a picture or quick video, I personally always avoid these because i dont like pictures of myself in a club and take terrible videos. However, as stated when someone is recording the entire night as if to make a documentary, it can be agitating for those around them. For me, its the age old discussion about common courtesy, some have it, a lot of people dont, unfortunately it's something we have to live with and just try to avoid the parties and spots where its more prevalent.

Proper clubbing when it's at its best is a communal experience, people from different walks of life come together and all contribute to make for what can be an incredible experience.

Taking selfies or videos of DJs is an inherently selfish act, you are not contributing, you are taking from the experience for yourself, for later.

This may only be a tiny take if it's a quick photo, so no matter as hopefully your contribution will heavily outweigh this. If it's endless photos and videos you're taking more away so you better make up for it by having a right good go at it when you finally put the phone down!

Proper clubbing when it's at its best is a communal experience, people from different walks of life come together and all contribute to make for what can be an incredible experience.

Taking selfies or videos of DJs is an inherently selfish act, you are not contributing, you are taking from the experience for yourself, for later.

This may only be a tiny take if it's a quick photo, so no matter as hopefully your contribution will heavily outweigh this. If it's endless photos and videos you're taking more away so you better make up for it by having a right good go at it when you finally put the phone down!

Great post.

I've just seen a video of Eric Prydz at Creamfields. Looked a good show but every single person was filming it on their phones.

I've just seen a video of Eric Prydz at Creamfields. Looked a good show but every single person was filming it on their phones.

I went creamfields last year and although they do get massive lineups especially if youre into that EDM gear., i opted to give it a massive swerve this year as its just full of kids and bandwagoners, and like you say camera phones aplenty.
Saw Prydz there last year was a decent tent (sasha, beyer, maceo) if i remember rightly

I went creamfields last year and although they do get massive lineups especially if youre into that EDM gear., i opted to give it a massive swerve this year as its just full of kids and bandwagoners, and like you say camera phones aplenty.
Saw Prydz there last year was a decent tent (sasha, beyer, maceo) if i remember rightly

Yo do remember rightly - was the Pryda tent on the Sunday, and he came on after a heavy set from Maceo. Did mostly Cirez D stuff for a majority of his set!

Back