Make Privilege big again

He blames daytime beach events as the reason why in the end Privilege was a ruinous business...
View attachment 16051

Partially true as someone who has done a day at OBeach is less likely to have the stamina to do an all nighter at a club...but also the decline of commerical dance music over the last 5 years or so another factor.

Guetta and Calvin Harris still have hits, but its not like the early late 00s/10s where the charts were flooded with dance music. Aside from the two just mentioned thetr arent many acts big enough to sell 10k tickets each week theres a few brands like Resistance that would be in with a chance for one-offs but thats about all.

As stated before live Pop/Rock gigs might be the only way forward, but the venue would have to supply the equipment to keep travel costs down and hope artists take a diversion on their world tour just for the kudos of having Ibiza on the poster.

Partially true as someone who has done a day at OBeach is less likely to have the stamina to do an all nighter at a club...but also the decline of commerical dance music over the last 5 years or so another factor.

Guetta and Calvin Harris still have hits, but its not like the early late 00s/10s where the charts were flooded with dance music. Aside from the two just mentioned thetr arent many acts big enough to sell 10k tickets each week theres a few brands like Resistance that would be in with a chance for one-offs but thats about all.

As stated before live Pop/Rock gigs might be the only way forward, but the venue would have to supply the equipment to keep travel costs down and hope artists take a diversion on their world tour just for the kudos of having Ibiza on the poster.

On the mainland, the big out of town openair music venues all have summer seasons, mixing up different types of live acts, with some local and some international. I don’t see why that would be any different in ibz, if you had a ready infrastructure and inhouse setup? Everyone would want to perform there. Don’t see how it would be a diversion? Those shows would sell out immediately imo.

As i said earlier in thread, a golden opp to think big and imaginatively.

Last edited:
On the mainland, the big out of town openair music venues all have summer seasons, mixing up different types of live acts, with some local and some international. I don’t see why that would be any different in ibz, if you had a ready infrastructure and inhouse setup? Everyone would want to perform there. Don’t see how it would be a diversion? Those shows would sell out immediately imo.

Indeed, in Marbella right now and Cat Stevens, Black Eyed Pease and Tom Jones are coming ove the next few weeks, not saying they are ideal Ibiza acts but as you say there is demand for this type of gig

I don't think it's nearly that simple

Marbella doesn't have six of the world's biggest DJs playing at various other places within a 10 mile radius on the same night and the rest of the week either side and for (as much as we like to moan about the price of club tickets) considerably cheaper than the price those artist will charge.

It's not just so simple to book Shakira here and hope that everybody in the 20-30 age bracket on the island will come. There's a lot of competition, even if you don't think it's direct

Obviously if you live in or visit a city and you going out once a month or two or less, €150-€250 for a special concert is justifiable. But that's not going to be the case for holidaymakers and the locals wouldn't be able to afford to that every week. Probably couldn't afford to even do it once a month

I am in 100% agreement with what @W_I_C says. look how badly the ibiza123 festival performed if you want to take live performances (come on they had lenny kravitz for example!!) and it becomes clear you just cannot compare ibiza to any other destination when it comes to setting up a party OR a concert. you play champions league all day, every day here for 5 full months, and no matter how big your name, you will always have at least 5 other very big names going up against you.

yeah sorry, but no my friend, this is exactly what doesn't just happen like that.

yeah sorry, but no my friend, this is exactly what doesn't just happen like that.

If the competition is between one rock/hiphop/pop/celeb (or jazz, classical, comedian, theatre whatever) playing live and electronic djs elsewhere aren't they pitching at different audiences though? Feels to me there is a gap in the market.

to give an example, imagine say a middleranker like New Order were lined up for a gig, either alone or as part of some retro 80s synth tour with a multilineup, however it was marketed. My guess is their cumulative cut wouldn’t be that different to an A list DJ, possibly a lot less. My guess is the sound staff would all be inhouse, there would be a party after, the crowd would be older, not people necessarily ordinarily out in the clubs, maybe a few locals starved of live music, and a lot of fans/tourists who flew in for the occasion. By packaging it as a one-off and as perhaps the last chance you’ll get, you maximise demand. Maybe the costs getting the ‘elite’ Sheerans, beyonces and Coldplays would be prohibitive, but the second division acts? am not pretending to be an expert but it is doable, and potentially profitable surely?

Back