M&T's Move to Ibiza

Woaaah, has it been a month since I've written on here? Time flies when you're stuck in a country hey?

Anyways, at this point in time there's only a couple of things to update. We have had confirmation of our repatriation flight today to London Heathrow on 12th July, landing around midday. What I will look to do is literally book onto a flight from LHR the very same day out to Ibiza. We were going to spend a bit of time in the UK with family etc, but because we're now 3 months past the point where we were supposed to already be there, we're kind chomping at the bit.

At this moment in time, airlines from the UAE aren't allowing any hand luggage, and looking around this apartment we have got wayyyy to much stuff to be dealing with, so the next stage is to pack up as much completely unnecessary stuff as possible and either add it to our stored items or send it forward to our friends on the island so we can pick it up right away.

In the meantime, and during our boredom, we've started a podcast that will document everything and we're just getting in as much as we can (with all the restrictions) before we head off! A few more staycations booked between now and the 12th, plus a boat for a friends birthday (at 40% capacity as per the law).

Life update!

We’ve had confirmation today that Apple travel are being super nice to us and have changed our flights to be MUCH more helpful to our cause!

July 12th - 2:50am
DXB > AMS > IBZ

This is great news for us really, as we won’t need to do anything with our luggage at our layover and it’s like 1hr 15 in Amsterdam and straight onto another flight.

So the next few days entail packing a last box to give to our removals company, actual leaving do’s (socially distanced of course) and a couple of chill days before leaving the UAE after 5 years!!! We do need to find somewhere to lay our heads for a couple of weeks while we find a proper apartment to live in and start the whole process of living in a new country!

Where’s good for an Ibiza Sunday Roast? ?

All-righty-roo,

It's coming to the end of our last week here in Dubai... and everything is coming together.

I managed to sell my car pretty quickly for a big chunk more than I was happy to settle for, so I popped to the Road Transport Authority this afternoon to have it transferred over to the new owner. With that done and dusted - it's Ubers from now on! We sat in HSBC for waaaayyyy too long to get our accounts closed, but that is now done too. Both of our visas have been cancelled and so we are technically tourists for the last few days here.

I've added Matts bike box to our luggage, along with an extra case for all of our camera/podcast equipment...so we're going to be travelling prettttty heavy - but there's not much you can do about that when you're moving countries. I'm guessing we'll have to get a taxi each or something from the airport as the bike box is a boot-full on it's own! (unless anyone knows of any alternative we can do to get us to Figueretas on Sunday?)

We've booked an AirBnB for the first couple of weeks, so as I've mentioned, we'll be based our of Figueretas for the time-being. Already booked in a couple of apartment viewings and hopefully will get the bank sorted pretty swiftly as well. I've got the gestor on standby to sort all the residency side of things, so as soon as we have a bank account and insurance we'll be good to get cracking!

It's starting to feel a little weird that it's all actually coming to an end here now. I find myself getting a little emotional when I think about our time here in the UAE. Matt and I moved here only 6 months after meeting each other, and so a huge majority of our relationship has been here and there are a lot of memories and a lot of amazing things to look back on. But JHEEEEEZZZZ are we excited to get to Ibiza!

So, with one last brunch on Friday, and one hungover podcast recording on Saturday... we will be well and truly out of here!

See you on the island people!

QR code received - had to obviously put the UAE as our origin destination and was a little worried that I was going to get stopped from getting a code but it's in my inbox and ready to go.

BRUNCH TIME!

WE. HAVE. ARRIVED

The one and only thing I was worried about was getting into Ibiza. I didn't know whether we'd be turned away for coming from Dubai. Literally THE ONLY thing playing on my mind.

We got through the checks at the airport and I promptly burst into tears! It all finally feels real. Magically, all of our cases and the bike fit into one very large taxi and is in easy lockers for a while as we wait for our AirBnB in Figueretas.

In the meantime....
61624554920__AA420983-97B6-40B4-9850-2B0B67469A2B-min.JPG

WE. HAVE. ARRIVED

The one and only thing I was worried about was getting into Ibiza. I didn't know whether we'd be turned away for coming from Dubai. Literally THE ONLY thing playing on my mind.

We got through the checks at the airport and I promptly burst into tears! It all finally feels real. Magically, all of our cases and the bike fit into one very large taxi and is in easy lockers for a while as we wait for our AirBnB in Figueretas.

In the meantime....
View attachment 9564
Well done both of you.. enjoy the peacefulness of the weeks ahead.. perfect for settling in.. restrictions my Arse, we've just moved from bloody Dubai..?

WE. HAVE. ARRIVED

In the meantime....
View attachment 9564
Love this... although first time commenting I’ve been following your move for a while, great to see things coming together! Hopefully your story will prove to my Mrs that it CAN be done haha! All the best :)

monkey.gif

Back