M&T's Move to Ibiza

craig72

No longer active
We have just moved here too, landed 4th March, the dog and belongings arrived 6th March...thank you Ibiza Transport....and my husband rode over on the Harley with his friend...who is now riding like the wind to get back to England before everything locks down....😨
LoL .. what an entrance..
 

TiffyBennett1

Well-Known Member
We have just moved here too, landed 4th March, the dog and belongings arrived 6th March...thank you Ibiza Transport....and my husband rode over on the Harley with his friend...who is now riding like the wind to get back to England before everything locks down....😨
Nice! We're waiting it out to see what happens in the next few weeks now...
 

TiffyBennett1

Well-Known Member
So...with things heating up all around the world, it's actually pretty hard to think about what is going to happen with our planned move to Ibiza.

5 weeks today is when our flights are booked for and we are supposed to leave Dubai for good > first stop UK.
At the rate the UK is going and the rate of infections and death, I won't even feel like flying in there, let alone staying there for time before we can get to Ibiza.

So now we have to think. Do we try and stick it out Dubai for a bit until everything is safe..? Do we ask our respective works if we can hold off on our departures even though we've both handed in our notices 2 months ago?

It's a tough time, and ours is definitely a 'first world problem' of simply trying to move to a different country... but I still believe that people have a right to feel disappointed in whats happening but still know deep down that it's the right thing.
 

stivi

Super Moderator
Staff member
So...with things heating up all around the world, it's actually pretty hard to think about what is going to happen with our planned move to Ibiza.

5 weeks today is when our flights are booked for and we are supposed to leave Dubai for good > first stop UK.
At the rate the UK is going and the rate of infections and death, I won't even feel like flying in there, let alone staying there for time before we can get to Ibiza.

So now we have to think. Do we try and stick it out Dubai for a bit until everything is safe..? Do we ask our respective works if we can hold off on our departures even though we've both handed in our notices 2 months ago?

It's a tough time, and ours is definitely a 'first world problem' of simply trying to move to a different country... but I still believe that people have a right to feel disappointed in whats happening but still know deep down that it's the right thing.
tricky situation eh.

if I was in your place I'd certainly wait a little - europe isn't going to be fine in 5 weeks time. first I was gonna say 'postpone all of it to next year', but there's one good reason for you to come here early once you can: you'll find year round rentals at prices you would have dreamed of two weeks ago still.
 

craig72

No longer active
tricky situation eh.

, but there's one good reason for you to come here early once you can: you'll find year round rentals at prices you would have dreamed of two weeks ago still.
Check those rentals out a few times a week,if you see something you really like try contacting the owners telling them your story, keep in contact and try seal the deal..
 

TiffyBennett1

Well-Known Member
Yeah thats possibly a good idea for timeframe - it's just a bit scary because we are 100% in limbo. Our visa's will be cancelled so we have to make a choice. And also with the Brexit deadline we do need to be in Ibiza before the end of the year. Yes there's a possibility that'll get extended but who know's really!

We're always looking at idealista and some nice ones are coming up - so thats a great idea Craig thank you!
 

Vinyldreams

Active Member
September October great time to find places , this year god knows , there is reductions on rentals already , the truth is, this is going to clean a lot out , so more choice for you , and fingers crossed at a lower price , maybe this is the price correction we have been taking about for years .

1 things for sure we will not se a season like this for a long time ,

fingers crossed it gets better sooner
 

TiffyBennett1

Well-Known Member
Little update from our side...

We had a conversation the other night with some 'B & C Options' considering everything that is going on, and we made the decision that M should speak to his management team at Apple to discuss what would happen with our visa's if the border closes extend further and further (as his original finish date was April 16th, and the store is confirmed closed until at least the 9th April right now).

After some chats, luckily his management has come back to say that as long as we're 'stuck' in the UAE, he will still be on the payroll and we will continue to be looked after as normal. This simply means we'll push back his end date until we are actually in a position to have our visa's cancelled and leave the country.

We are VERY much counting our blessings and understand how much of a lucky situation that we are in!
 

TiffyBennett1

Well-Known Member
That seems good! At this stage we're not too worried about being able to get to Ibiza before December, but you never know - it might get that far!

Update
Matt has been speaking to his management and legal/HR team at Apple today and we are initially looking at postponing his resignation for a month, so his last day would be at the end of May instead of the end of this month. What this means for us is that we are able to earn (and therefore save) a little more money in a pretty safe place. Currently waiting on approvals from higher up the chain but that is what it's looking like currently... and then we will play it by ear throughout May to see whether an additional extension would be needed. At this stage, we're half hoping it does extend because if he gets to the 1st of July it would be his 5 year work anniversary in the UAE - which means a bit of a jump in his gratuity payment!! Funny how things could end up!

From my side - I've not mentioned it to work as yet - I'll wait and see once it's approved from M's side. But, considering I work in the events industry and not much is going on then I don't think they have a reason to keep me on at this stage!

We will see...
 

TiffyBennett1

Well-Known Member
A little update from our side:

If you've read this thread before, you'll know that we were due for M to finish work on 31st May and have Apple fly us out of the UAE and back to the UK around the 8th June. With everything still going on, and the basic shit show of the UK right now, we've decided to extend here (again) and stick on until the first week in July. Though it's a little bit depressing, there are a couple of positives thoughts coming out of it:

  1. M crosses his 5 years working here in the UAE, therefore a bit of a jump in the gratuity payment. We also have a month more of savings we can add into the pot. I've managed to negotiate down the hotel apartment we are staying in to half the price of what it was for the first month. They're clearly desperate as well.
  2. We don't have to go to the UK and have to isolate for 2 weeks before being able to do anything else.
  3. We know that we can't get to Ibiza right now, so what's really the point in leaving yet...?
So M's final work day will now be July 4th, and after visa cancellations and what-not, we'll be looking to leave around the 11th. If the UK is still a shit-show, and maybe if Spain aren't letting people fly in from the UK, we might decline Apple's repatriation flights and purchase our own straight to Ibiza flying in through a safer European country. We'll see.

Obviously we don't know what the situation will be in 2 months time with flights and borders and quarantine restrictions etc... but at least we have security for the next couple of months and no uncertainty. Yes, we might miss some of the lower rental prices if Spain suddenly opens their borders (unlikely) and our dream move is starting a bit later that we originally planned - but we've been so happy looking at people out and about in Ibiza yesterday and today, and we'll get there soon!
 
Top