Im finally going to Berlin!

Hello :lol:

Well we made a cheeky return visit to Berlin for my birthday - this really was a flying visit, we left Heathrow at 10am Saturday and were back at Heathrow midday Monday, and the sole purpose of the trip was basically another visit to Berghain/Panorama. Because we were going to hardly be spending any time in the hotel (and when we were going to be in there it was going to be Sunday night when I would have probably slept in the gutter :rolleyes:) then we booked 2 nights in the Easyhotel on Rosenthaier Platz because we really liked this area and it's handily located for everything. I wasn't sure what to expect because the room was a ridiculously cheap 20 euros a night but they are absolutely fine - the rooms are quite small (but you're not going to have much luggage for a weekend break), really modern and comfy and a good shower - highly recommended for a cheap as chips option for a clubbing break.

We headed to Berghain/Panorama at around 2am like we did last time and there was a similar length queue. Last time we saw some evidence of the club's door policy (we saw two lots of people turned away) but nothing like the notorious reputation it has. Well this time the door men were RUTHLESS - in the 15 minutes we spent in the queue about 50% of the people in front of us got turned away and there didn't seem to be any pattern to it (2 girls, a mixed group, 2 blokes, a bloke on his own - all got the 'look' and were banished to one side :eek:) We got in fine but I'm under no illusion that we're part of the 'too cool for school crowd' and I think it's just the luck of the draw. I would definitely say go at that time because if you do get turned away, then you can go elsewhere and then come back later on Sunday when it's apparently easier to get in. And if you do get in on the first attempt then believe me spending 12+ hours in there is no hardship!

Because of the somewhat w@nky door policy you do want to have a moan about it, but the thing is it really is THAT good once you get inside, that you let them get away with it...and just feel so happy that you're in!

I did think that because our last visit was our first to the club, would subsequent visits live up to this 'honeymoon visit' and be as good as the first time. I can honestly say (and I didn't actually think this would be possible) it was even better. The music which was amazing last time was absolutely out of this world this time - a short bloke (think he's one of the residents as he was there last time) played 9am - 2pm and was absolutely blow you away material, followed by Miss Honey Dijon untl 5pm who is one of my favourites. Combine that with a brilliant crowd and atmosphere, anything goes attitude and super cheap drinks (we drank the full 16 hours we were in there and spent less than 50 euros between us!) then I'm not exaggerating when I say it was probably the best clubbing experience of my life.

We left at 7pm (I would have liked to stay longer but my body isn't used to 16 hour clubbing marathons these days and is more used to 16 mile runs :oops:) but we still felt like we'd had a good 16 hour innings.

If you haven't been then all I'd say is if you do one thing this year book a cheeky trip to Berlin and go, it absolutely knocks the spots off anything else I've been to in the last few years - in fact I would quite happily hang up my clubbing shoes save for a trip to Panorama Bar every few months because in comparison everything else just seems so 'normal' :lol:

Great review Barb. I lived in Germany 6 years and some clubs have a very selective door policy which I find strange.

Well we made a cheeky return visit to Berlin for my birthday - this really was a flying visit, we left Heathrow at 10am Saturday and were back at Heathrow midday Monday, and the sole purpose of the trip was basically another visit to Berghain/Panorama. Because we were going to hardly be spending any time in the hotel (and when we were going to be in there it was going to be Sunday night when I would have probably slept in the gutter :rolleyes:) then we booked 2 nights in the Easyhotel on Rosenthaier Platz because we really liked this area and it's handily located for everything. I wasn't sure what to expect because the room was a ridiculously cheap 20 euros a night but they are absolutely fine - the rooms are quite small (but you're not going to have much luggage for a weekend break), really modern and comfy and a good shower - highly recommended for a cheap as chips option for a clubbing break.

We headed to Berghain/Panorama at around 2am like we did last time and there was a similar length queue. Last time we saw some evidence of the club's door policy (we saw two lots of people turned away) but nothing like the notorious reputation it has. Well this time the door men were RUTHLESS - in the 15 minutes we spent in the queue about 50% of the people in front of us got turned away and there didn't seem to be any pattern to it (2 girls, a mixed group, 2 blokes, a bloke on his own - all got the 'look' and were banished to one side :eek:) We got in fine but I'm under no illusion that we're part of the 'too cool for school crowd' and I think it's just the luck of the draw. I would definitely say go at that time because if you do get turned away, then you can go elsewhere and then come back later on Sunday when it's apparently easier to get in. And if you do get in on the first attempt then believe me spending 12+ hours in there is no hardship!

Because of the somewhat w@nky door policy you do want to have a moan about it, but the thing is it really is THAT good once you get inside, that you let them get away with it...and just feel so happy that you're in!

I did think that because our last visit was our first to the club, would subsequent visits live up to this 'honeymoon visit' and be as good as the first time. I can honestly say (and I didn't actually think this would be possible) it was even better. The music which was amazing last time was absolutely out of this world this time - a short bloke (think he's one of the residents as he was there last time) played 9am - 2pm and was absolutely blow you away material, followed by Miss Honey Dijon untl 5pm who is one of my favourites. Combine that with a brilliant crowd and atmosphere, anything goes attitude and super cheap drinks (we drank the full 16 hours we were in there and spent less than 50 euros between us!) then I'm not exaggerating when I say it was probably the best clubbing experience of my life.

We left at 7pm (I would have liked to stay longer but my body isn't used to 16 hour clubbing marathons these days and is more used to 16 mile runs :oops:) but we still felt like we'd had a good 16 hour innings.

If you haven't been then all I'd say is if you do one thing this year book a cheeky trip to Berlin and go, it absolutely knocks the spots off anything else I've been to in the last few years - in fact I would quite happily hang up my clubbing shoes save for a trip to Panorama Bar every few months because in comparison everything else just seems so 'normal' :lol:

Sounds AMAZING. Am going in May, really really hope we make it in to Berghain / Panoramabar, particularly after reading this review and your last one. 8)

I would say if you dont get in and its night time go down the road to Maria am Bahnhoff its not too far. Watergate is further

The music which was amazing last time was absolutely out of this world this time - a short bloke (think he's one of the residents as he was there last time) played 9am - 2pm and was absolutely blow you away material, followed by Miss Honey Dijon untl 5pm who is one of my favourites.

a short bloke? haha

where's jon carter and dlc when you need them?

Ahhhhhh... I really really want to go, and am thinking of getting in a trip this summer but I worry about not getting it. It seems so random... or is it? ha!

we didnt get in and still had the best time having already been to Watergate. We did a longer trip tho so wasnt totally focussed around Berghain. Will be going back in Spring/Summer.

Was wondering actually , what were you and your group wearing???

Sad developments out there recently. :(

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/201...rrests-liebig-friedrichshain?CMP=EMCGT_030211

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/16/berlin-gentrification-yuppification-squat

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/10/berlin-anarchists-torch-cars

Make the most of it kids...the next five years may see the beginning of the end of Berlin as we know it.

The famous Tatcheles recently closed (a former squat turned community/arts centre) to make way for fun ruining property developers. :rolleyes:

You'd think the state of the economy would deter the rich from entering but it seems these aren't business people but rich kids from the outer boroughs (and abroad) wanting a piece of the action.

I guess this is fine but it becomes a problem when there's no investment in local communities - which seems to be the case.

Soon enough, the yummy mummy brigade will be used to front campaigns around sound restrictions and we'll be back to '94 again.

The Berlin scene (not just nightclubs) is driven by the undercurrent of the squat community. Berghain is the tip of the iceberg - a tourist trap (albeit an amazing one!) that locals hardly ever set foot in.

Might be time to book a flight then. ;) :lol: (like I ever needed an excuse.)

NOOOOOO!

we went to Taschelles nearly every day we were there!
Found some other big squats near the river but they weren't the type you would just walk into as a tourist

edit* although I do see the irony in being against the gentrification of the city and previously asking what to wear to get in to a club!

Last edited by a moderator:
although I do see the irony in being against the gentrification of the city and previously asking what to wear to get in to a club!

Nowt wrong with that! It's not like you were wanting to show off your new designer £££ silk shirt or pair of dolly shoes is it? :lol:

...and the door policy is hardly pretentious - it's just rightfully fickle and stops the place selling out to gimpsville (Fabric/Ministry etc).

err... Yeah!
(definitely wasnt in fabric saturday night and definitely didnt have a good time :lol::oops::lol:)

:lol:

Nothing to be embarrassed about! It's a brilliant space - as is the Ministry. It's just a shame London is more about quick money wins than considered promotion.

But hell, what do I know anyway, I'm more likely to be on a bloody hippy retreat than a dance floor these days. :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds AMAZING. Am going in May, really really hope we make it in to Berghain / Panoramabar, particularly after reading this review and your last one. 8)
Just found out the people I'm staying with this weekend live just 6 blocks from Berghain. Bonus! :D
Now just hoping we get in...

Back