Im finally going to Berlin!

40749_166272000056900_100000223026971_566549_8299625_n.jpg

:!:

Is that going to be the main room?????? WOW :!::!:

Line up is immense too :twisted:

Off tomorrow , all touristy suggestions welcome please!
Toying with idea of going berghain sort of early as then if we dont get in we can go somewhere else then try coming back for panorama bar nearer lunchtime or something. Tresor looks pretty crazy

Went to Berghain after Watergate around 6am last time. No que and no trouble getting in then. Have a good one.. you'll love it!! 8)

Right here goes , mainly with a view to giving some info to ppl planning to go:

We were staying in an apartment in Strausbergerplatz which is just to the east of Alexanderplatz. To get there or indeed Alexanderplatz take the S9 from the airport (remember you need to validate your ticket you get from the machine at the little post on the platform) to Frankfurter Allee then change on to the U5 which ends at Alexanderplatz.

The apartment was great value for money and perfect for a couple and a single or 2 couples .
Here is the link , we were in Strausbergerplatz 7

http://www.booking.com/hotel/de/berlin-barcelona-rooms.html?aid=320536;label=postbooking_confemail

They are near a big supermarket but slightly out the way for sights. We chose that area as it was walking distance to Alexanderplatz and Berghain club but more on that later!

We walked around Alexanderplatz for a while and got some particularly strong cocktails at the big place under the railway arches by Hackescher Markt before going for late dinner at
Monsieur Vuong.
http://berlin.unlike.net/locations/291-Monsieur-Vuong

This place is very very nice , we waited for about 10mins with a drink then squeezed into a little table by the bar. I had the soupy noodles with beef which made wagamama's look like flavourless garbage. We got talking to the waitress and her friend who recomended going for a drink at Kunsthaus Tacheles before going out later

http://super.tacheles.de/cms/

Tacheles is a massive squat (about 6/7 floors) most of which is full of workshops/stalls/galleries/cinemas and exhibitions. Its also 100% coverd in graffiti. We got pretty wasted in the bar where the cinema is then spent abit of time exploring before calling it a night.

Got up late friday , went to check out shops. The best of the brand name shops and indeed smaller independent ones seemed to be loosely around Hackescher Markt area. We then walked the long way up to The Bird in Prenzlauer Berg for the best burger in Berlin. It was in fact , the best burger in the world! so far. All of the staff were hot girls , none of whom were german and dont even think about using a knife and fork they have issues with them!
The area up there is really nice tho , lots of trees and parks , would have liked to have spent more time exporing. The food knocked us for 6 so we went back to the apartment.

Saturday we hired bikes which was briliant and def recommended! Cycled east past Berghain and got some pics then on to Checkpoint Charlie/EastSide Gallery. Went over the bridge to a bike shop and saw some pretty worse for wear dj's and co coming out of Watergate at 2pm. Had another burger at Burgermeister , again recommended if you in the area.Very cheap and very good. This area over the bridge to the east is called Kreuzberg and was our favourite. Somewhere in between Amsterdam and parts of New York . Lots of little makeshift galleries and cafes as well as shops. Back over to Tacheles to meet some more friends then we went to their apartment before going to Watergate.
Getting into Watergate was fine they were turning away groups of guys and ppl in shirts/shoes so best to go as a couple or mixed group. Nice club directly on the river with 2 floors but not that big. Would have been really nice to stay late till the sun comes up but we left around 4 as wanted to get up for Berghain next day.

I woke up at around 7.30 and got a vodka redbull prepped whilst others got up. Lovely sunny morning walk down to Berghain which took about 20mins. Weirdly my friend decided last minute with Berghain in view that he couldnt do a morning rave so left me n caz to it. There were a few couples ahead of us but no queue at all which almost made it abit more daunting. First couple seemed to be turned away just as we rounded the corner so we ended up at the door just as they let the couple in front in. We had to wait a minute or 2 whilst the bouncers talked amongst ourselves. We didnt really say anything and just waited. they then motioned us forward to say " Sorry ,you need to go somewhere else.." I said in german we were here to see Marcel Dettmann and some others but the decision had been made so we left without a fuss. Maybe it was what were wearing (fairly bright clothes) that gave away our englishness or it was luck of the draw but we didnt take it personally and vowed to be back!

Rest of day was bit of a write off but ended with a lovely Mexican Meal back over in Kreuzberg at a place i cant remembe the name of.Great cocktails and food from a painfully hot waitress! We wound down the night with a few drinks down the road at a great little pub playing old Punk records.

Monday I felt really rough after the marathon drinking of last 2 days. Nevertheless got up and headed back towards Kreuzberg but went a different way past another massive factory sized Squat. We didnt go in tho as the wild dogs looked pretty scary and started picking on this one smaller dog who i hope was ok it looked pretty vicious. We walked all the way to Sonnenalle in Neukolln which is the Arabic end of town , abit like Edgeware Road to go to City Chicken. This is basically a standard chickenshop from the outside but they serve , for 5 euros half a rotisserie chicken with salad and fries! It looked amazing tho I couldnt stomach it so just had fries.Obviuosly very popular in the local community and you cant hang around once you've finished!
http://berlin.unlike.net/locations/306161-City-Chicken

Took the walk through back to Kreuzberg through the park and stopped off for couple drinks along the way and sat in the punk bar for quite a while.

Tuesday got some food in Alexanderplatz then headed to the airport. Schonefeld airport is tiny and pretty crap if im honest. Got hit with a 2 hour delay so basically sat on the floor with lots of screaming kids till ryanair sorted it. All felt really depressed coming home but was nice we'd found a city we definitely will be coming back to

Now on a diet after all the fast food we ate!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great reading, MM. Making me even more determined to go back and explore the full delights of the city.

Our recent trip was a shoddy boys beerfest (my last ever). I thought the people and staff everywhere were sooo friendly despite us being a large group of blokes.

Gret review. I am dying to go to Berlin.

Sorry you couldn't get into Berghain. If that was me I would have been so upset :lol:

haha yeah we saw a few stag do's and was thinking it might not be the best place for that. Already looking at going back , maybe stay the south side of the river but to be honest that apartment was good value when u compare the amount of space compared to a hotel / hostel.

I'll get to Berghain eventually if it kills me!
Also forgot to mention we were walking through alexanderplatz on saturday and there was a massive rave going on under the railway arches at around 3pm . was gona have a look but going by the people milling around outside we thought it best to leave em to it. was cool how they had stuff like that going on right in the center where ppl were shopping

Ha ha. Indeed.

Will you buying tickets for the clubs or just winging it when you get there?

Paul its the best ever! I dread to think how good their steaks are as the burgers taste like your eating a premium medium rare fillet steak as they are!

Back