Ibiza - quo vadis?

interesting to hear a documentary that gives a real insight into the island other than the usual "4 english guys 1987" guff. Having said that, it gave a very bleak assessment of where things are at. Obviously locals are better placed to comment, and a lot of things need to be improved with better resources/planning but it doesn't feel to me like things have yet reached critical mass

interesting to hear a documentary that gives a real insight into the island other than the usual "4 english guys 1987" guff. Having said that, it gave a very bleak assessment of where things are at. Obviously locals are better placed to comment, and a lot of things need to be improved with better resources/planning but it doesn't feel to me like things have yet reached critical mass
As I alluded to, the general impression I get is the island's full (in summer at least) and they want to reduce numbers but retain/increase the income. I suppose if they keep it as it is and put up the "full house" signs in August, they could put more effort into getting tourists to come off-season, maybe even through the whole of winter? If fans are going for the music, does it matter if it's chilly outside when it can be roasting inside a club?
If it's inside and sound-protected, then let them have as much noise as they like!
I dunno, it's hard to keep everyone happy, from the beer-and-sun brigade, to the clubbers, to the families to the retired who want a bit of P+Q. Maybe Ibiza's just too small to cater for everyone now?
But certainly let's stop building any more hotels - there are even developments of (horrible!!) boutique hotels on Formentera as I write!!

Matthew Benjamin aka Bushwacka! says...

Bye bye Ibiza....

I have been awake since around 5.30am, way before the dawn.
As I sit and start to write, I realise the end is almost upon me. I have lived in Ibiza since 2013. The dream began like this:
On the 9th April 2013 I left my flat in Ladbroke Grove, London, to buy a pint of milk. The shop was only across the road from my place. It was snowing heavily, and windy. By the time I had arrived in the shop I decided that next winter I would take 3 months away from London. By the time I had reached the warmth of home again, minutes later, I had made a decision. I was going to move to Ibiza, and start my life there. Exactly one month later, on the 9th May 2013 I boarded the plane, a one way ticket. This was not a “I am going to spend the summer in Ibiza” manoeuvre - this was for the long haul.

Yet now, as I finish deconstructing the house and life I have built here, putting the last few things into boxes, having sold all the furniture, save for the sofa I am sitting on now, which gets picked up tomorrow, I contemplate what has happened in these five years, in fact five and a half. I watched the sunrise this morning from one of my two happy places, this one close to my house, overlooking the bay of Talamanca. I sat with my dog, taking in the sounds, and the sights. The swell of the sea, the stereo waves hitting the pebbly shore, and dragging the pebbles back out, gentle, yet powerful. The low rumble of the ferry boat engines from the other side, the seagulls gliding and swooping, the odd plane coming in, and yacht going out, the gurgle of the drainage flute nearby. A deep red half orb started rising up from the blue grey low cloud, soon becoming a solid circle, through haze and creating colours I could only dream of. The beauty and majesty of nature unfolding in front of me yet again. I took it all in and contemplated the fact I will only have one or two more of these magic morning moments in this spot, before I move on in a few days.

Moving back to the UK has been on my radar for over a year now. Last August I took a road trip round some of the English Countryside, and fell in love with the English culture again. Weather aside, there is something that resonates deeply inside me going back to my roots. I have what I regard as good reason to go back. I am studying and need to be in London to fulfil my responsibilities and training, at least for a few years. My family is there, my son, my father, his wife, my little sister soon to return too, and my instinct is telling me I need to be there for them now, as life passes us by oh so quickly. Its time to go home. Its time to rebuild, and to ground myself again.

And what of Ibiza? Well I arrived here clean and sober in May 2013. However an addict living with a dealer was never going to end well, best friends or not, and in August 2013 I relapsed. The next 24 months became the Matthew equivalent of “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas”. In between me desperately searching for another way to get and stay clean - hypnosis - ayahuasca - boot camps - juice cleanses - none of it worked for long, and from 2014 to August 2015 my life became total insanity and a living nightmare for most of the time, degrading from crazy benders to eventually me locked in a dark room in my own house for moths, expecting imminent death and praying someone would rescue me. Those were the bad times. On the 7th August 2015 I took myself out of the loop, and went to treatment for 6 weeks. I have never looked back. My life in recovery has been 100% clean and sober ever since, and I am now living what I regard as a life beyond my wildest dreams. And its all happened in Ibiza. I have lived the dream, then the nightmare and now the dream again.

So its almost time to say goodbye to my home here. I will be coming back, for gigs, for hikes, swims, holidays, and quality time. So much has happened here in Ibiza for me. Ive lost myself, I’ve found myself, I’ve written a book, built two studios, fallen in love, rescued three adoring animals, including my dog Laika who is the most loving adoring creature ever and has changed my life. I have had psychotic crazy flatmates that have been toxic to me, and have had the best flatmates in the world, who I have stayed friends with and love dearly. I have found my artistic side and took a year painting here. I have finally learned to slow down and breathe. Appreciate nature. Ive learned what it means to love myself, to be good to myself, to really feel what that means. And I have learned to love others again. Something I thought may never happen, and now I am head over heels in love with the most amazing woman in the world. And friends too - I can count on one hand the friends that I have made here that really are friends. They know who they are and I know who they are. I love them dearly and am so grateful for their friendship. All these things have been given to me here in Ibiza. As for my Djing I’ve been blessed to have had two amazing residencies here in the last 5 years, one at Sankeys for Dance 88/89 where I did 20 shows the first year and 14 the second year. Then there is Pikes, for me the last bastion of Ibiza eccentric naughtiness on a regular basis. I have been gifted with Saturday nights there for the last two years and though I don’t do the whole season it’s just one of the best residencies I’ve ever had. Magic still exists in my world with the illegal parties too, for those who know, we have thrown incredible full moon outdoor parties in special secret locations at least once a year and they still beat everything else vibe wise. So I feel very lucky to be able to share my gift of music in many ways here. Still this island can drive one crazy of course!
For all the bullshit, the flakey people, the pirates, the politics, the egos, the let downs, the piss takers, the rip off merchants, and the infuriating bureaucracy, Ibiza has given me more than I could ever have dreamt.

Its not what it was here. Nowhere near it. In the 5 years I have been here its changed beyond measure. In the 24 years I was here every year before that it was much more constant. It was magic for its craziness, its after parties, its sexiness, its lunacy, its colourful energy, and its freedom. Now those qualities are a shadow of what they were. Yes they still exist, but only just. This isn’t a moan, its a fact. The gentrification of Ibiza has totally changed the type of people that frequent the island now. Its out-priced itself and the greed of a few has affected the lives of many. Will it ever be the way it was years ago? I think not. At least not for my generation. Nothing stays the same. Its a victim of its own popularity. This tiny island has given millions upon millions of people the time of their lives. There is nothing secret here anymore. But its still the most beautiful energetic special little island in the world to me, and to loads of others, and there are some amazing people here.

I came here for the weather. Everything else has been an adventure. A roller coaster. The highs and the lows have been galactic. I can’t believe I am still here to talk about it, all things considered. Im so grateful. Thank you Ibiza for giving me all you have given. I will miss you terribly. I will always love you.

thank you so much for this, very intresting to read, wow, wish you all the best.

Ibiza observations (not clubbing realted so didn't post in there)
I was pleasantly surprised at Ibiza feeling no less busy than all previous times listed below – this can only be a good thing...

One thing that let me down though was lack of service in some places and how places don’t want to accommodate/embrace simple things, or custom in general. For example the first day was mega hot and I fancied a sangria on the beach – went into two well established local bars in Talamanca (none of the neon beach-club rubbish) and they couldn’t accommodate a sangria in a glass to take to the beach. Then spent the next hour wishing I was at Sa Trinxa (they do take-away glasses and it’s a good Sangria to boot).

Same theme on Talamanca – in the Italian restaurant (along from El Pulpo) my mate stood at the bar and asked for 2 bottles of water to take away so we could sit on the beach with them (it was so hot) and the woman practically had a melt-down as it was take-away and 2 bottles. Never seen a farce like it.

Even though I was a paying guest at Ryans – in the end I got my room card out and put it on the bar top in the hope they would notice/acknowledge me – I was ignored over two separate customers who were asking for drinks. It wasn’t busy at all. When I finally started to look around and got a bit vocal/animated I was told to ‘relaaaaaaaaaaaaax’ – but I’d blatantly been ignored for ten minutes for no reason – I was completely sober and dressed completely normal.

Was completely ignored in Calma café when we arrived for drinks on a sunny afternoon to embrace the view, despite finally going in for a menu myself after 5 mins of no staff. That changed nothing, so we left.

6pm, one table taken only for drinks in Simbiosis (vegan place under Dalt Vila walls was recently another name) we strolled in for vegan food (mate is vegan under docs orders due to arthritis) and my mate asked for one of the tables with a cushion pad due to her pain but were told by the bearded grumpy guy under no uncertain terms to take a table on the left hand side only. There was no reservado sign on any of the other tables and as I say, one table of two in the whole place. His attitude didn’t change throughout the meal (amazing food though) and we never really felt welcome…as I’m typing this in now paranoid I was wearing leather or fur or something, but no I didn’t pack any of that nor was I inappropriately dressed any other way– all of the above places we’ve been 2 mid-thirties lasses – one blonde, one brunette, normally sober/smiley/friendly/polite….

I wonder was all of the above because it’s the ‘tired’ end of the season? If that was the first time of certain friends or family to the island I know it would put them off going to Ibiza for life . It wouldn’t put me off, I’d either avoid or be more wary next time, but I’ve never experienced that before in any of the times I’ve been previous; which is usually at the first half of the season.

There was still younger couples at the airport proclaiming their undying love for the island which is always a good conversation starter during the security queue, and the same ‘there’s always one’ on the flight over – yes they were sitting next to me even on a 6.45am flight – so some things never change and its always my luck. I like change and embrace it – I can possibly understand the reason the really lovely staff/owners of Bai-Bai didn’t want anyone using their toilets for reasons other than peeing, and they were accommodating in their service so can let them off for that but to conclude; do the locals really favour our custom or are they sick of it come end of September when the money has broke even? I hate to be negative but its only what I experienced. Still had a great time.

I was pleasantly surprised at Ibiza feeling no less busy than all previous times listed below – this can only be a good thing...

One thing that let me down though was lack of service in some places and how places don’t want to accommodate/embrace simple things, or custom in general. For example the first day was mega hot and I fancied a sangria on the beach – went into two well established local bars in Talamanca (none of the neon beach-club rubbish) and they couldn’t accommodate a sangria in a glass to take to the beach. Then spent the next hour wishing I was at Sa Trinxa (they do take-away glasses and it’s a good Sangria to boot).

Same theme on Talamanca – in the Italian restaurant (along from El Pulpo) my mate stood at the bar and asked for 2 bottles of water to take away so we could sit on the beach with them (it was so hot) and the woman practically had a melt-down as it was take-away and 2 bottles. Never seen a farce like it.

Even though I was a paying guest at Ryans – in the end I got my room card out and put it on the bar top in the hope they would notice/acknowledge me – I was ignored over two separate customers who were asking for drinks. It wasn’t busy at all. When I finally started to look around and got a bit vocal/animated I was told to ‘relaaaaaaaaaaaaax’ – but I’d blatantly been ignored for ten minutes for no reason – I was completely sober and dressed completely normal.

Was completely ignored in Calma café when we arrived for drinks on a sunny afternoon to embrace the view, despite finally going in for a menu myself after 5 mins of no staff. That changed nothing, so we left.

6pm, one table taken only for drinks in Simbiosis (vegan place under Dalt Vila walls was recently another name) we strolled in for vegan food (mate is vegan under docs orders due to arthritis) and my mate asked for one of the tables with a cushion pad due to her pain but were told by the bearded grumpy guy under no uncertain terms to take a table on the left hand side only. There was no reservado sign on any of the other tables and as I say, one table of two in the whole place. His attitude didn’t change throughout the meal (amazing food though) and we never really felt welcome…as I’m typing this in now paranoid I was wearing leather or fur or something, but no I didn’t pack any of that nor was I inappropriately dressed any other way– all of the above places we’ve been 2 mid-thirties lasses – one blonde, one brunette, normally sober/smiley/friendly/polite….

I wonder was all of the above because it’s the ‘tired’ end of the season? If that was the first time of certain friends or family to the island I know it would put them off going to Ibiza for life . It wouldn’t put me off, I’d either avoid or be more wary next time, but I’ve never experienced that before in any of the times I’ve been previous; which is usually at the first half of the season.

There was still younger couples at the airport proclaiming their undying love for the island which is always a good conversation starter during the security queue, and the same ‘there’s always one’ on the flight over – yes they were sitting next to me even on a 6.45am flight – so some things never change and its always my luck. I like change and embrace it – I can possibly understand the reason the really lovely staff/owners of Bai-Bai didn’t want anyone using their toilets for reasons other than peeing, and they were accommodating in their service so can let them off for that but to conclude; do the locals really favour our custom or are they sick of it come end of September when the money has broke even? I hate to be negative but its only what I experienced. Still had a great time.
Mate try living here ,,

Every day you get a twat that has no real world idea how to talk to someone

Today I popped into a fancy dress shop ,, got told to “come back tonight for Halloween”

How about I don’t come back at all ??

Passion cafe is the best in santa e ,,,
Go check laura ,, lovely girl I’m sure ,, Walks around in circles keeps checking to see if you are looking then ignores you ,,
I eat there every few days but she dose my head in ..

The owners just don’t give a shit , the Spanish don’t know better ..

5Star vip???
Hahahah

Long way to go

On our trip in June we went to a beach bar on Port Des Torrent beach.recently taken over by Cala Bassa Beach Club. So prices gone up considerably from 2017. Two couples three kids. Waiting for ten mins for a server, so the girls went in and bought the (overpriced) drinks at the bar. Next minute the guy serving our area of the beach comes over quite agitated and aggressive cos we hadn’t used him to get our drinks! I refrained from putting the vodka glass up his a-hole as it would’ve ruined the sunset ambiance and instead we moved on. Found out the next gaff along is CBBC owned too , and swerved that as well. Martin Makepeace wrote on his Man in San An blog recently – do people settle for this bad service as an “idiosyncrasy” of Ibiza , it’s a decent read.

On the flip side the Staff in Relish in the bay were great with our little boy and went out of their way to play with him and make his high chair comfy. Top marks. The Staff in the Occidental Ibiza hotel were great too.

Pretty sure a lot of the staff in restaurants and bars are on drugs. Explains their erratic behaviour. You get the same in UK !!

La Bodega in Talamanca - great staff, heads screwed on right, friendly, attentive and very tolerant. Skinny Kitchen in San An marina - space cadet central.... !! Think it really depends on the place and the top-down culture.

best customer service we had was at Tapas Restaurant. ok it's not exactly authentic and all the waitresses sounded like they came from Leatherhead but couldn't really fault the food or friendliness. we experienced no rudeness all week apart from some of the pikes staff.

generally speaking I think face to face customer service in Spain is way better than the UK but lags behind for online transactions, deliveries and opening hours.

Let's see how many mistakes can we find in this phrase...

Mallorca and Ibiza are considering banning All Inclusive hotels
It should say the Balearic government is considering banning free unlimited booze in All Inclusive hotels!

Actually, Ibiza is against it:
https://www.diariodeibiza.es/pitius...sell-pedira-eivissa-sea-excluida/1009539.html
The AI regulation won't happen for now...

https://www.diariodeibiza.es/pitius...ecide-renunciar-regular-incluido/1024682.html

Have to admit (again this is if we go) AI may well be the way forward for us next year. There are so many nice restaurants and we love eating and drinking out but the prices in most places are just ridiculous !

Worked for us this year. First time i have ever been AI anywhere. Like yourself we love to eat out but have felt the cost in recent years. All in all it saved us a fortune as the initial cost was very reasonable for what we got in return.

@stivi Seems like clubs are making a push to announce earlier, while that does not necessarily mean an extended season, it does mean that the (tourism) working community is expected to be "on" year round, where previously it was expected that folks could mentally and physically disappear for 3-4 months. As a sporadic visitor it helps me plan and gives me more vacation daydream porn to escape the moment.

How do you personally feel about it, personally as someone who expected to stay on top of it (if you care to share)?

Presumably this is a reaction to the 'slow' season last year. I think about it in contrast with locals protesting the saturation and massification of the island.

@stivi Seems like clubs are making a push to announce earlier, while that does not necessarily mean an extended season, it does mean that the (tourism) working community is expected to be "on" year round, where previously it was expected that folks could mentally and physically disappear for 3-4 months. As a sporadic visitor it helps me plan and gives me more vacation daydream porn to escape the moment.

How do you personally feel about it, personally as someone who expected to stay on top of it (if you care to share)?

Presumably this is a reaction to the 'slow' season last year. I think about it in contrast with locals protesting the saturation and massification of the island.

over the last decade, the clubbing season has infact become one month longer. it used to be start of june to end of september, now it‘s mid may to mid october. this alone obviously means people are working longer.

apart from that, clubs & promoters have realised their clients (all of you guys) need to make plans early - ask for holidays at work etc. over the last few years I repeatedly told everyone they should work on this because in the end it‘s beneficial for you guys as well as for them.

so, compared to years ago when promoters left to travel after the season and only started prepping the next summer in february or so, nowadays the first deals for the next season are done at ADE which is right after the closings. obviously not everything, but people have realised it‘s better to sort things early. you can still go on hols in february if you do your homework well and early.

in short - I think it‘s a positive evolution.

Back