Ibiza - quo vadis?

All inclusive?
Portinatx was 80% All inclusive 20 years ago.

And now, it's 80% adults only.
Another problem to come for ibz tourism I think...

Last edited:
now, a quick recap on the past few years and how we've ended up in a summer in which the island just isn't as full as it normally is.

one - a factor a lot of people underestimate. if we look back roughly 5-10 years, the balearics have been benefitting from a number of things happening around the mediterranean: greece had a really hard time during the economic crisis, turkey/tunisia/egypt suffered massively whenever there were terrorist attacks which included tourists...whereas the balearics have always been (and luckily still are) a safe haven in the med. balearics were always a bit more expensive than those other places in the mediterranean, but especially families were happy to exchange turkey for ibiza and pay a little more and be sure to be safe. for the clubbers this point might not be that important, but we need to understand a lot of people don't necessarily need to come to ibiza - they want a nice beach holiday and be safe. now, greece is better off again (at least a little) and especially mykonos has become quite fashion, turkey/tunisia/egypt have luckily been quiet in terms of bad news and so those destinations have been recuperating numbers big time in the last two summers.

two - the consequence of point one was that in the last few years, ibiza has thriven not only because of its name, but also because of reasons that ibiza actually didn't have much to do with. now, since up until (and including) 2016, all numbers kept on going up up up and up and so did prices. but I felt already last year, we got to a tipping point. prices kept creeping up to silly levels while you could see other destinations regaining power. and this year it's worse - the price difference between ibiza (but also mallorca and menorca) and other med destinations is just massive. it's true that a lot of hotels lately have done remodeling/renovations (in lots of cases also about 10-15 years too late if we're honest) and that these things cost, but the hoteliers saying that because of that prices must go up are just idiots, sorry. in a lot of cases the hotels haven't become better - just a bit of fresh paint so they don't look 1984 anymore.

three - I don't care if matutes junior keeps insisting on this, but his vision of 'ibiza will only survive if we go luxury' is just about the opposite of what I think. yeah you can make a lot of money with only a few people if they pay big cash, but ibiza still needs the masses. and I believe that with the upscale movement and combined with the inflated accom prices, we have been scaring people away lately. ibiza worked so well for a lot of years because it was an island where just about everyone felt at peace. no matter your social status or your bank account statement.

four - personally I feel the upscale movement has negative consequences on the crowd mix in the clubs too. you used to have everything on the dancefloor at once, now it's the plebs on the floor and anyone that is famous, rich or think's they're anyone, is in the VIP zone. it's true the vip's have existed for a long time already (amnesia, pacha, privilege), but years ago people still came down to mingle on the dancefloor. I remember dancing next to lindsay lohan in space and giorgio armani in privilege years ago. doesn't happen anymore today. not an ibiza-only evolution this, but a global phenomenon sadly.

five - like it or not, there ARE alternatives to ibiza nowadays. and most of them are cheaper. croatia festivals, but also mykonos has now a very decent selection of clubbing options. it's true that festivals are a weekend only and probably no place on earth will ever have the density and sheer choice of events as ibiza, but paired with above reasons, I do understand people saying they want to try something else now.

we (james and I) lately have had lots of talks to a lot of our business partners (clubs, hotel chains etc) and we have said that we strongly think we've reached (actually more like passed) a price limit and that because of said reasons (other destinations recuperating tourist numbers) PRICES NEED TO COME DOWN. it's all across the board. accomodation, prices in restaurants, club tickets (although some clubs have already made big improvements on that this year, needs saying) and lastly also drinks inside the clubs. yeah the drink deals exist, but if you don't buy one or aren't aware of them and you buy at standard price and you pay 12€ for a water and 20€ for a longdrink, the perception of ibiza being a super expensive destination will never change. the drinks deals might help, but they don't solve the problem.

maybe it needs another 'bad' season (ibiza isn't going that badly this year, just to be clear) next year, but eventually people will understand that we have become a place which a lot of people aren't willing to afford anymore. because there's cheaper places for families, and because there's now also cheaper places for clubbers. and also, it's a fact that for example the real underground lovers stay away in big numbers, not because they couldn't afford it - but because they either have an ideological problem paying 40€ for two drinks in a club or have an ideological problem with the whole VIP thing.

All inclusive?
Portinatx was 80% All inclusive 25 years ago.

And now, it's 80% adults only.
Another problem to come for ibz tourism I think...

are you sure it was all-inclusive and not full board? it's not the same eh....

yeah the adults only thing is another mistake they made in my opinion.

Very refreshing to read all that stivi.

Is there any plans to sort this criminal activity targeting tourists any time soon? I understand crime is everywhere but something surely needs to be done at the current level in San an? It's becoming big news here in Blighty on all social media to do with Ibiza I find it incredible it's allowed to keep on going.
Are the a sniffer dogs here to stay to?

If you think people that used to go AI are suddenly going to start turning up in bars then you are sadly mistaken. The majority will simply take their business to another country. All research points to AI being priority for AI customers.

I used Majorca as my example, and my experience was that before AI the bars were busier and in my view for that type of holiday, the experience was better before some of the big hotels started doing AI. I have experienced both sides. Only my research like, didn’t have access to ALL research for a properly rounded point of view.

Very refreshing to read all that stivi.

Is there any plans to sort this criminal activity targeting tourists any time soon? I understand crime is everywhere but something surely needs to be done at the current level in San an? It's becoming big news here in Blighty on all social media to do with Ibiza I find it incredible it's allowed to keep on going.
Are the a sniffer dogs here to stay to?

yeah san an does have a very visible problem with that right now. pdb also has it, but I think not on the same level.

as for san an - it's evident closing the west end at 3am won't solve the problem. rather people then stream out of it and carry on elsewhere. someone please explain this to the people in power: as long as ibiza has the clubs, it will attract clubbers. it will also always attract people which either can't or don't want to go to the clubs every night (especially considering the drinks prices...) but it's young people who do wanna go out and they simply won't go to bed at 3am when they're at their peak of the night. it's so obvious. they will continue somewhere. it's the same as with the afterhours prohibition. if you have an island with 10 big clubs and clubnights, there will always be at least a few hundred people that aren't ready to call it a night at 7am. now instead of having them nicely together in one place where they don't disturb anyone, they are spread over villas or hotel rooms where they keep on making noise.

Reading reports in the UK media that Mallorca and Ibiza are considering banning All Inclusive hotels to get more money spent in the resorts.

If they organise that well it could be a big boost to local bars and restaurants...but done badly and it risks yet another drop in visitor numbers. Also got to consider that some All Inclusive hotels can't just switch over quickly, some may need minor building work, more cash bars, a la carte menus rather than buffet style etc

Reading reports in the UK media that Mallorca and Ibiza are considering banning All Inclusive hotels to get more money spent in the resorts.

If they organise that well it could be a big boost to local bars and restaurants...but done badly and it risks yet another drop in visitor numbers. Also got to consider that some All Inclusive hotels can't just switch over quickly, some may need minor building work, more cash bars, a la carte menus rather than buffet style etc
Done at all and it will take away AI tourists from Ibiza. All of the research shows that AI tourists want AI. They aren’t going to clubs, bars or local restaurants. Like it or not, the AI crowd. Want AI. It’s a decent sized market and matched with declining arrivals numbers, and shorter stays, I do fear for the island as the alternative appears to be a vision and the reality seems to be ad hoc. I know what the authorities want to do but they are not executing that plan quickly

Just to add. Last week i had 4 days in Ibz with Mrs lbs. it was my 21st year there and fortunately I can afford the place. This week I’m in Malaga with the wife and kids right now. The cost differential for the same country is extraordinary. It’s not going to end well for the clubs or authorities if the current lackof big term thinking exists (for every party involved).

Just to add. Last week i had 4 days in Ibz with Mrs lbs. it was my 21st year there and fortunately I can afford the place. This week I’m in Malaga with the wife and kids right now. The cost differential for the same country is extraordinary. It’s not going to end well for the clubs or authorities if the current lackof big term thinking exists (for every party involved).

Don't be daft, the VIPs will save the day! :oops:

My first visit to Ibiza I went AI at San Remo in the Bay. This was back when Group Playa Sol had a not so good reputation. It was pretty awful and I vowed never again. Ended up eating and drinking out most of the time as the food as inedible and the beers were served in a paltry plastic cup you get at children's birthday parties.
In 2016 I went AI again - this time in Kos - and my experience could've have been different. Didn't leave the complex - mainly because we had no additional funds - and it felt like we got our money's worth.
My Dad used to always say that the Spanish never quite got AI right compared to other destinations. In my limited experience, I agree.

Dad was right !

we (james and I) lately have had lots of talks to a lot of our business partners (clubs, hotel chains etc) and we have said that we strongly think we've reached (actually more like passed) a price limit and that because of said reasons (other destinations recuperating tourist numbers) PRICES NEED TO COME DOWN.

What was their response?

Must be frustrating for Spotlight, as being the “broker” you are at the mercy of the business owners.
Plus you see the bigger picture.
I hope apathy doesn’t get the better of them.

Must be frustrating for Spotlight, as being the “broker” you are at the mercy of the business owners.
Plus you see the bigger picture.
I hope apathy doesn’t get the better of them.

the thing is, we are actually at the mercy of all the people that come to the island....same as each and every business on the island that has to do anything with tourists! but of course we are somewhere in between all the big clubs (as well as many other businesses) and all of you guys. and this summer we simply said 'enough - we need to talk to our partners', because yes, I believe we do see the bigger picture. hope this doesn't come across arrogant.

the thing is, we are actually at the mercy of all the people that come to the island....same as each and every business on the island that has to do anything with tourists! but of course we are somewhere in between all the big clubs (as well as many other businesses) and all of you guys. and this summer we simply said 'enough - we need to talk to our partners', because yes, I believe we do see the bigger picture. hope this doesn't come across arrogant.
Are you ever consulted by the club and bar owners and promoters regarding strategy?

Back