Ibiza - quo vadis?

we actually do have much more talks now compared to a few years ago. I wouldn't say they consult us for their strategies but they are certainly listening!
That’s good then. Maybe shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted but it would be good to see a dose of realism introduced to clubbing in Ibiza. It’s never been cheap, but no one offers what Ibiza does. The problem is most people have a tipping point. And a number of clubs breached that a couple of years ago, for me. Clearly others have the same issue. Question is, can they be brought back?

Last edited by a moderator:
a lot of people are aware of it. convincing the ones that aren't, that will be the trickiest part ;)

really though, after this summer, ibiza 2019 should be an interesting one to watch.

Anecdotally, how much lower are the tourist numbers this year from 2017?

Is it 5-10%, worse? My last trip was in 2012, and it didnt seem too far off that.

Anecdotally, how much lower are the tourist numbers this year from 2017?

Is it 5-10%, worse? My last trip was in 2012, and it didnt seem too far off that.

I couldn't tell right now. the numbers you get depending on sources vary greatly - airport numbers aren't down that much, but that's also because people nowadays come twice for a long weekend rather than once for 7-10 days and that is why the actual airport traffic isn't so much down. also lots of businesses will never honestly admit how much they are down...

Cheers @McRackin. Interesting read. Interesting quote.

‘It is not a question of class - replies Gian di Terlizzi, Italian transplanted in the island, responsible for the mobility of the Council and local leader of Podemos - we would like to recover the tourism of families, go away for the impossible coexistence with the excesses of other visitors. It's a long process, but we're on the right track’.

It’s not about class, yet he still wants to pursue tourism, albeit with a different type of tourist. So, that will be the Ibizan proletariat serving bourgeois holiday makers then. Not about class at all.

And, he certainly wants rid of us.

All I see is less holiday makers. And holiday makers making shorter visits. And they are on the right track, apparently? I hope they are careful about what they wish for.

Matthew Benjamin aka Bushwacka! says...

Bye bye Ibiza....

I have been awake since around 5.30am, way before the dawn.
As I sit and start to write, I realise the end is almost upon me. I have lived in Ibiza since 2013. The dream began like this:
On the 9th April 2013 I left my flat in Ladbroke Grove, London, to buy a pint of milk. The shop was only across the road from my place. It was snowing heavily, and windy. By the time I had arrived in the shop I decided that next winter I would take 3 months away from London. By the time I had reached the warmth of home again, minutes later, I had made a decision. I was going to move to Ibiza, and start my life there. Exactly one month later, on the 9th May 2013 I boarded the plane, a one way ticket. This was not a “I am going to spend the summer in Ibiza” manoeuvre - this was for the long haul.

Yet now, as I finish deconstructing the house and life I have built here, putting the last few things into boxes, having sold all the furniture, save for the sofa I am sitting on now, which gets picked up tomorrow, I contemplate what has happened in these five years, in fact five and a half. I watched the sunrise this morning from one of my two happy places, this one close to my house, overlooking the bay of Talamanca. I sat with my dog, taking in the sounds, and the sights. The swell of the sea, the stereo waves hitting the pebbly shore, and dragging the pebbles back out, gentle, yet powerful. The low rumble of the ferry boat engines from the other side, the seagulls gliding and swooping, the odd plane coming in, and yacht going out, the gurgle of the drainage flute nearby. A deep red half orb started rising up from the blue grey low cloud, soon becoming a solid circle, through haze and creating colours I could only dream of. The beauty and majesty of nature unfolding in front of me yet again. I took it all in and contemplated the fact I will only have one or two more of these magic morning moments in this spot, before I move on in a few days.

Moving back to the UK has been on my radar for over a year now. Last August I took a road trip round some of the English Countryside, and fell in love with the English culture again. Weather aside, there is something that resonates deeply inside me going back to my roots. I have what I regard as good reason to go back. I am studying and need to be in London to fulfil my responsibilities and training, at least for a few years. My family is there, my son, my father, his wife, my little sister soon to return too, and my instinct is telling me I need to be there for them now, as life passes us by oh so quickly. Its time to go home. Its time to rebuild, and to ground myself again.

And what of Ibiza? Well I arrived here clean and sober in May 2013. However an addict living with a dealer was never going to end well, best friends or not, and in August 2013 I relapsed. The next 24 months became the Matthew equivalent of “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas”. In between me desperately searching for another way to get and stay clean - hypnosis - ayahuasca - boot camps - juice cleanses - none of it worked for long, and from 2014 to August 2015 my life became total insanity and a living nightmare for most of the time, degrading from crazy benders to eventually me locked in a dark room in my own house for moths, expecting imminent death and praying someone would rescue me. Those were the bad times. On the 7th August 2015 I took myself out of the loop, and went to treatment for 6 weeks. I have never looked back. My life in recovery has been 100% clean and sober ever since, and I am now living what I regard as a life beyond my wildest dreams. And its all happened in Ibiza. I have lived the dream, then the nightmare and now the dream again.

So its almost time to say goodbye to my home here. I will be coming back, for gigs, for hikes, swims, holidays, and quality time. So much has happened here in Ibiza for me. Ive lost myself, I’ve found myself, I’ve written a book, built two studios, fallen in love, rescued three adoring animals, including my dog Laika who is the most loving adoring creature ever and has changed my life. I have had psychotic crazy flatmates that have been toxic to me, and have had the best flatmates in the world, who I have stayed friends with and love dearly. I have found my artistic side and took a year painting here. I have finally learned to slow down and breathe. Appreciate nature. Ive learned what it means to love myself, to be good to myself, to really feel what that means. And I have learned to love others again. Something I thought may never happen, and now I am head over heels in love with the most amazing woman in the world. And friends too - I can count on one hand the friends that I have made here that really are friends. They know who they are and I know who they are. I love them dearly and am so grateful for their friendship. All these things have been given to me here in Ibiza. As for my Djing I’ve been blessed to have had two amazing residencies here in the last 5 years, one at Sankeys for Dance 88/89 where I did 20 shows the first year and 14 the second year. Then there is Pikes, for me the last bastion of Ibiza eccentric naughtiness on a regular basis. I have been gifted with Saturday nights there for the last two years and though I don’t do the whole season it’s just one of the best residencies I’ve ever had. Magic still exists in my world with the illegal parties too, for those who know, we have thrown incredible full moon outdoor parties in special secret locations at least once a year and they still beat everything else vibe wise. So I feel very lucky to be able to share my gift of music in many ways here. Still this island can drive one crazy of course!
For all the bullshit, the flakey people, the pirates, the politics, the egos, the let downs, the piss takers, the rip off merchants, and the infuriating bureaucracy, Ibiza has given me more than I could ever have dreamt.

Its not what it was here. Nowhere near it. In the 5 years I have been here its changed beyond measure. In the 24 years I was here every year before that it was much more constant. It was magic for its craziness, its after parties, its sexiness, its lunacy, its colourful energy, and its freedom. Now those qualities are a shadow of what they were. Yes they still exist, but only just. This isn’t a moan, its a fact. The gentrification of Ibiza has totally changed the type of people that frequent the island now. Its out-priced itself and the greed of a few has affected the lives of many. Will it ever be the way it was years ago? I think not. At least not for my generation. Nothing stays the same. Its a victim of its own popularity. This tiny island has given millions upon millions of people the time of their lives. There is nothing secret here anymore. But its still the most beautiful energetic special little island in the world to me, and to loads of others, and there are some amazing people here.

I came here for the weather. Everything else has been an adventure. A roller coaster. The highs and the lows have been galactic. I can’t believe I am still here to talk about it, all things considered. Im so grateful. Thank you Ibiza for giving me all you have given. I will miss you terribly. I will always love you.

Generally I have never seen IBZ town so empty in September. Last night when I went to the town at 2am I found 90% of the restaurants to be closed. Streets were empty. When walked up to the old town I found the place totally dead. I mean totally dead, not a single person there. Night before it was more crowed but this is only because there were two ships staying over the night. Last night no cruisers. Hotels look dead as well. You notice things like this straight away. At midnight most of the hotels windows are dark, no towels on balconies etc. Local paper is saying that occupancy dropped by 3.5%. I think they are not telling the whole true. I spoke to a few people and they said they won't be coming back as the hotel prices are crazy. Something has to change.. .

Yep even around the port was dead when we were there the other night (weather wasn’t the best) but still just seemed like there was no armosphere about the place like i’d seen in the past.

Must say though in Santa E all the bars/restaurants in the cobbled streets up from those dogs have been packed almost everytime we’ve walked past

Clubbing wise definitley the most space i’ve had on the dancefloors the past week!

Generally I have never seen IBZ town so empty in September. Last night when I went to the town at 2am I found 90% of the restaurants to be closed. Streets were empty. When walked up to the old town I found the place totally dead. I mean totally dead, not a single person there. Night before it was more crowed but this is only because there were two ships staying over the night. Last night no cruisers. Hotels look dead as well. You notice things like this straight away. At midnight most of the hotels windows are dark, no towels on balconies etc. Local paper is saying that occupancy dropped by 3.5%. I think they are not telling the whole true. I spoke to a few people and they said they won't be coming back as the hotel prices are crazy. Something has to change.. .

I used the word dead last week and many disagreed

Obviously everyone has a different perspective.

This year has just been unfortunate,

The World Cup / Uk weather being great , Brexit , euro being poor , and now the weather here is crap

We will only know next year if it’s a lasting affect

Last night in playa den bossa there was a road block for 1 hr while hard rock and ush emptied out .

The bars were quiet at 1 , seemed like there was no drinks being served where we was ..

I really hope it picks up

Heard about this a couple of times while listening to BBC 6Music today and it seems fitting with several threads I'm following contained in this forum about the 2018 season. I sure don't want the party to be over - I land there in less than 4 days and the headline below breaks my heart. Could be for an interesting listen putting a bit of local 'policy' theroy behind the observations for this year - even just hearing a tiny section of this made me realise perhaps why Teatro Pereyra in Ibiza Town closed. Not listened to it myself yet but will be after this post. Hopefully things will change for the better going forward.
Long live Ibiza!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3cswgvz

upload_2018-9-20_13-47-25.png

Last edited:
I know people go for the music loud and everywhere, but if the music's cracked down on, maybe they think will attract many more who would prefer Ibiza to be generally a quiet, peaceful island again? Maybe fewer tourists but bigger spenders and reducing the cheap apartments + Air b/b???

It would be nice to know exactly in which direction Ibiza wants to go.

Back