ibiza gossip 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no underground in Ibiza clubs,. for a start my underground ain't the same underground as some kid in London right now sometimes you catch a proper house head dj or a Chicago don, but for the most part the lineups are dominated by tech house which is where the numbers are. The different music genres making in-roads reflects the need for bums on seats and bums on seats these days ain't what it used to be if u need to fill up 6+ venues 7 nights a week all summer. I personally go for the spirit, and a fairly careful selection of events. Derek Carter played octan at the start of the summer at a defected/classic event - so proper is there, it's just hiding. Honey Dijon and Luke Solomon do glitterbox in September and I'll be there for that with bells on.

There is no underground in Ibiza clubs,. for a start my underground ain't the same underground as some kid in London right now sometimes you catch a proper house head dj or a Chicago don, but for the most part the lineups are dominated by tech house which is where the numbers are. The different music genres making in-roads reflects the need for bums on seats and bums on seats these days ain't what it used to be if u need to fill up 6+ venues 7 nights a week all summer. I personally go for the spirit, and a fairly careful selection of events. Derek Carter played octan at the start of the summer at a defected/classic event - so proper is there, it's just hiding. Honey Dijon and Luke Solomon do glitterbox in September and I'll be there for that with bells on.
Speaking of ‘proper’ djs…Kevin Saunderson plays @Trick tonight!

Also had/have Chez Damier one week

More to the point since when he became relevant in the electronic music scene?
After a bit of digging, cos I’m laying in my hotel room with no chance of getting to sleep. He has teamed up with lufthaus and co-produced and sang on there debut track. And one of the djs/duo wrote a number of tracks on his album take the crown 10 years ago.

Everyone is protective of something they love. Whether music, or otherwise, when it stops being exactly what we/they cherished about it, it feels like it's slipping away. That's a real feeling and experience, and no one can convince otherwise. It's also wholly defined by each individual.

I think @Bahamas quoted a good point, (Bill Brewster & Frank Broughton) "For a long time the word 'house' referred not to a particular style of music so much as to an attitude".

I'm not sure why "gatekeeping" music, clubs, etc. is seen as a good thing. That's how you make something insular and problematic. That's how you ensure there is no chance for other people to become informed about new ways of thinking. That's how diversity stops.

As @Tourist said, "The whole DIY spirit meant anyone could do anything. It brought all sorts of people together who would never have met." Apply that sentiment towards human rights. Levels of social equality were achieved through the popularization of some music scenes, such as 1960s rock and civil rights. I think 90s rave culture applies similarly.

Everything needs balance. I've heard a quote, "everyone eventually comes to techno" (perhaps quoted to Carl Cox, although I couldn't confirm if that was accurate). I always understood that quote to equate to "everyone matures and becomes a better member of the community". I still see Ibiza as one of the gateways to a better future.

What's the latest with the noise restrictions? Have they been sorted around PDB/DC10 etc?
Dont know about dc10, but been here now since aug 6th. All of the beach Clubs on PDB as well as Salinas are dead quiet. Some play music but you cant hear it because of the low volume.

Dont know about dc10, but been here now since aug 6th. All of the beach Clubs on PDB as well as Salinas are dead quiet. Some play music but you cant hear it because of the low volume.
I can't help but think there are going to be some unintended, negative side effects as a result. My first thought is less business to smaller establishments.

General question: are the aggrieved parties happy with the results so far?

my observations are that both pdb and the port area are quieter than i'd expect at this time of year - but i think this simply reflects the fact that people have less money to spend whilst over here. so instead of opting for a meal and drinks and then the club, they do one or the other - and judging from the numbers in the clubs at the moment, the traditionally younger crowd in august is opting for clubs.

i think in september this should balance out a bit more.

my observations are that both pdb and the port area are quieter than i'd expect at this time of year - but i think this simply reflects the fact that people have less money to spend whilst over here. so instead of opting for a meal and drinks and then the club, they do one or the other - and judging from the numbers in the clubs at the moment, the traditionally younger crowd in august is opting for clubs.

I noticed the same while looking For The "Vibes" from Ibiza Town/Calle De Virgen. So sad 🥹

I think you are right, cheap supermarket pre-drinks on the balcony are winning over more expensive bar drinks. That side of the island of course doesn't have the sunset as a draw either.

Club Chinois is a disgrace. An hours queueing to tell us its too full to get in. Didnt realise Luciano was that popular? Alot of unhappy people outside. We and many others had tickets
Blooming hell…we had guest list before 1 but didn’t make it and so glad I didn’t go to pay at door. Others went to Elrow but no chance I was doing that…went to Eden for first time in about 15 years (which was actually really good albeit only about 100 people left by 5) after O Beach (which I enjoyed more than I thought I would)

The Island has/is changing massively as is the world. This year was my 19th year but I’ll never stop going. It’s sad to see the places changing and venues closed, struggling but I just try and enjoy it for what it is, I don’t look back as such and feel lucky that I can still visit and return smiling and wanting to go back…….. normally immediately 😂

Could have been a real disaster that…wonder if people will get a refund on their tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back