ibiza gossip 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, first, stop selling enters at a prohibited price for 80% of the youth.
Well, while I agree a lot of prices are higher than I'd personally be willing to pay, here's the thing: these are the most popular parties that have no trouble filling out! It's almost like a bull to a red flag. Set your price high and watch the masses roll in.

And here's another truth bomb that some people probably don't wanna hear: a lot of the parties in that category are Reggaeton parties

While we sit on the precipice of a global downturn (and consciously consider that next year and the year after may take a different turn) what's clear is this year, no matter the average age, people are happy to pay more for a party they can bank on enjoying, than paying less for a party that's an unknown quantity

Last edited:
Well, while I agree a lot of prices are higher than I'd personally be willing to pay, here's the thing: these are the most popular parties that have no trouble filling out! It's almost like a bull to a red flag. Set your price high and watch the masses roll in.

And here's another truth bomb that some people probably don't wanna hear: a lot of the parties in that category are Reggaeton parties

While we sit on the precipice of a global downturn (and consciously consider that next year and the year after may take a different turn) what's clear is this year, no matter the average age, people are happy to pay more for a party they can bank on enjoying, than paying less for a party that's an unknown quantity
Wonder which demagraphic the reggae ton parties are aimed at?

No fan of Steve Aoki and cake throwing either but it comes back to the diversity of your programme and hitting as many different key demographics as possible

Amnesia in this case (but it might as well be any club) has plenty of underground parties on offer if you want that - and let's be honest, some of them aren't as full as they would like them to be

So if you owned a 3,000+ capacity club with 5 months worth of trade a year, what would you do?
No doubts makes business sense if that’s what the punters want but it appears to me, rightly or wrong, demographic swaying way more towards EDM and this type of scene and away from underground.

Can see many acts doing that as well.

Last edited:
Wonder which demagraphic the reggae ton parties are aimed at?

Pretty much any native Spanish speaker aged 10-30. It's as dominant now as Timbaland/NERD were in the UK/US in the 2000s.

Ibiza is not Berlin. Berghain is full ( if they want ) with Underground people. Ibiza Clubs not.

People need to stop using the word underground in relation to anything in Ibiza, because it just looks a bit ridiculous. The free party psy scene was the last underground in Ibiza and they killed it. Perhaps DC10 in the very early years too before they sold out. In other countries, I see things like Dekmantel which obv buy into an underground ethos and host some excellent DJs (not music you'll ever hear on the high street) but nevertheless it's still incredibly safe, tame and middle class, light years away from the real underground that defined warehouse culture in dangerous parts of town where you had to climb through some fence and get past a psychopath 'security team' run by Toothpick Terry with a swan on his neck and hope the cables didn't run through pools of water and where on the dancefloor you would genuinely find yourself surrounded by students, gangsters, crusties and even pitbulls all in the same room whilst some projector blasted mad lasers and the DJ played records that blew your senses apart.

Much like balearic, underground was never a type of music but a way of life, for the rebels, misfits and outcasts or in the case of 80s kids in East Berlin an act of political defiance against the stasi. I'm not gonna pretend to be Mr Underground because I'm too young and only really caught the tail end of the London squat scene late 90s/early 2000s, but once you've caught a taste of this parallel world, going to a normal nightclub is never the same again. So bringing it back to Ibiza, sure you can still have a lot of fun and places like Pikes and Akasha are in it for some of the right reasons but let's not pretend any of this is edgy or subversive in any way. So those much coveted after parties that FGP and his 'bros' (real or imagined) are so desperate to gain access to are simply a status symbol, because they're seduced not by the quality of the event but the secrecy lending them the kudos. Turning up at someone's villa to hear them playing anodyne tech house dross is not underground, trust me...

Pretty much any native Spanish speaker aged 10-30. It's as dominant now as Timbaland/NERD were in the UK/US in the 2000s.

People need to stop using the word underground in relation to anything in Ibiza, because it just looks a bit ridiculous. The free party psy scene was the last underground in Ibiza and they killed it. Perhaps DC10 in the very early years too before they sold out. In other countries, I see things like Dekmantel which obv buy into an underground ethos and host some excellent DJs (not music you'll ever hear on the high street) but nevertheless it's still incredibly safe, tame and middle class, light years away from the real underground that defined warehouse culture in dangerous parts of town where you had to climb through some fence and get past a psychopath 'security team' run by Toothpick Terry with a swan on his neck and hope the cables didn't run through pools of water and where on the dancefloor you would genuinely find yourself surrounded by students, gangsters, crusties and even pitbulls all in the same room whilst some projector blasted mad lasers and the DJ played records that blew your senses apart.

Much like balearic, underground was never a type of music but a way of life, for the rebels, misfits and outcasts or in the case of 80s kids in East Berlin an act of political defiance against the stasi. I'm not gonna pretend to be Mr Underground because I'm too young and only really caught the tail end of the London squat scene late 90s/early 2000s, but once you've caught a taste of this parallel world, going to a normal nightclub is never the same again. So bringing it back to Ibiza, sure you can still have a lot of fun and places like Pikes and Akasha are in it for some of the right reasons but let's not pretend any of this is edgy or subversive in any way. So those much coveted after parties that FGP and his 'bros' (real or imagined) are so desperate to gain access to are simply a status symbol, because they're seduced not by the quality of the event but the secrecy lending them the kudos. Turning up at someone's villa to hear them playing anodyne tech house dross is not underground, trust me...

Underground is a middle class thing.

Bur nobody knows what underground is. Gun Club ? Suicide ( the band ) ? Bedouin ?

Bur nobody knows what underground is. Gun Club ? Suicide ( the band ) ? Bedouin ?

but it wasn't always this middle class. Punk and then acid house were very egalitarian. The whole DIY spirit meant anyone could do anything. It brought all sorts of people together who would never have met. Ibiza was obv different to London and very bohemian of course from the beatniks onwards but they were different to today's bland middle class kids who totally dominate dance culture. It can never be underground again unless there was an actual revolution or another dictatorship which drove people to the margins (which of course is why Ibiza and Sitges were seen as subversive from the 60s - and how this whole circus as we know it started in the first place)

Underground is a place in San Rafael.

It's not something you can claim, it's a feeling. It used to have another name in matter of fact: house

As a wise man once said: "And, you see, no one man owns house because house music is a universal language, spoken and understood by all."

Or as Bill Brewster & Frank Broughton have put it: "For a long time the word 'house' referred not to a particular style of music so much as to an attitude. If a song was 'house' it was music from a cool club, it was underground, it was something you'd never hear on the radio. In Chicago, the right club would be 'house', and if you went there, you'd be 'house' and so would your friends. Walking down Michigan Avenue, you would be able to tell who was 'house' and who wasn't by what they were wearing. If their tape player was rocking the Gap Band, they were definitely not 'house', but if it was playing Loleatta Holloway or the Eurythmics, they were, and you'd probably go over and talk to them."

I personally think that the underground is a space in the very beginning of something. Then there is club music, which is more marginal and for people who have more serious requirements for music and are ready to accept something new and "dangerous". Then there is this "overground" music that is made for a big audience, like EDM. Nowadays, we want to categorize music very precisely, but before this was known as "Dance". All kinds of dance music could be put under this "Dance" title, from low-tempo reggae rhythm to pop-trance. So.. In my world, throwing cakes only belongs in old funny black-and-white movies, but it says a lot about the content of the music if you have to come up with circus tricks like this to get attention. Ibiza doesn't have an underground like Berlin does, but I can find all three of these categories there. One of the subtleties of Ibiza has been its renewal and I believe it is the hidden force why the island has remained so popular from decade to decade. It would be really sad if this renewal stopped. Should the dance culture of Ibiza get on the World Cultural Heritage list, like Techno in Germany?
Ibiza is not Berlin. Berghain is full ( if they want ) with Underground people. Ibiza Clubs not.

Just seen amnesia post a video of someone in the crowd getting hit with a cake to Aoki.

It’s a f***in shame that sound and scene has such presence and demand on the island.

I’m getting older but struggling to connect to many of the nights and line ups.

Is this EDL and instagram scene taking over everywhere? If it’s not fisher it’s Bibi and then at the far end of the scale this crap.

As I said probably getting too old but doesn’t interest me in the slightest. Clearly sells though.
No different to manumission though, no?

Looks like The Beat Hotel are heading back to Ibiza for a week. Last years was excellent and it falls on my visit again this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back