*** ibiza gossip 2019 ***

Not the right thread but seems everyone is on the Berlin hype today! Only been once myself and loved it!! Yes we got rejected from Berghain, well Panorama Bar as it was only for Get Perlonized but had an amazing trip.

Done CDV, Chalet and Watergate. Found Watergate to be a very nice venue and loved CDV. Chalet smoking area was better than the venue imo.

With the door policy stuff it is very annoying and 100% stops me going more often. For example Sven 55th Birthday at Watergate is very tempting but the thought of going and being turned away for no real reason would be hard to take. I know there is plenty more on offer but I like flying places for specific events and that's very hard with Berlin. You have to go out with a proper "lets see where the night take us" kind of attitude.

I do respect the door pickers though since what it does eliminate is the complete and utter train wrecks who shouldn't be near the music scene. Yes I agree it is open to everyone but some people you can very clearly see are not in to that scene and by asking a simple questions you can work this out. So even though they may well turn away an awful lot of people who love the scene and deserve to go in at least it means once you are in you are pretty much guaranteed a good party crowd, something not many places can do.

It's also been said that a lot of Berlin venues don't want non-German people in their venues, or want to limit the number; you could argue this extends to being racist. My comment about racist door staff refers to Berlin more than Ibiza.

I have no issue with any venue controlling who enters, to be clear - it's right of admission reserved, and if I ran a club and wanted to only let skinny blonde white guys in, that would be up to me.

That doesn't change the fact that door policy can be (and is) largely based on appearance, including skin colour, and you sometimes can't tell what kind of person or clubber someone is, or how much they like their music, just by looking at them and uttering a few sentences in German.

I was with a German Polish guy for a bit and we tried Berghain and still didn't get in. He's saying how generally the Berlin club scene (not specifically Berghain) is sorta racist and prefers pure Germans, as the bouncers could maybe detect his Polish accent.

I don't get how this is keeping any kind of 'ethos' alive- the door policy seems worse than a top 40/urban club, a scene we all generally dispise. We'd be screaming about racism if those clubs did it so why not these Berlin clubs?
I'm sure you're a top guy IRL but on here you give off this cold, calculated consumer vibe when clubbing is supposed to be a mystical thing with a family vibe. but you don't get it. you haven't grown up with it. hardly your fault. just don't preach at people who know what they're talking about.

You're a dick. I DJ events here in Toronto, maybe not major underground ones, but I still try something in the underground realm (if you define it to begin with). That's more involvement than being some weirdo on an internet forum

I always find the vibe in Berlin clubs very friendly and welcoming - probably because they are more selective on the door.

I was there for Atonal at the end of August and besides Tresor / Kraftwerk, went to About Blank and Else - both outdoor clubs. Loved both although we were asked who we were there to see, etc both times (it probably helped that I was on a DJ guest-list!).

I've managed to get into Berghain both times I've tried but a friend who lives in Berlin says it's getting harder for non regulars (even people who live in Berlin) to get in as so many tourists try to go and it's not the vibe they want. Personally, I'd only try it now if I knew I was on a guest-list as it's not worth the hassle otherwise.

This is absolutely not the right approach to getting in to a Berlin nightclub in my experience!

Depends on how the girls look. No high heels. Not to much make up. Not to sexy. So no socks or mini skirts. This will get you into any club. The reason is there are way to much guys in clubs, specially Techno. Some party girls will never get bounced.

Is that a big problem in Ibiza? (I ask as a white person.) Bouncers were okay everywhere I went this year, though I think the guy on the door at Zoo got an extra 10 euro off me that he shouldn't have. I could have sworn I'd already given him money, but my mind was too pickled to be 100% sure or to argue. :spank:

I have never had an issue in Ibiza. If I were rejected anywhere in the world, I would not try to assume it was because I am Black unless it was overt.

My comment was in general. I get dress code and gender ratios, but I am not answering some techno riddle before I cross the bridge. As a casual music fan It would be frustrating to go have a night out, maybe even with a significant other and get rejected at the door (unless it was sold out or had capacity issues). I dont really do city trips but get roped into them, but Berlin will not be one of them. Fcuk all that. In my humble opinion eventually the eternal navel gazing will leave the venues behind as others emerge and take their place. I have never heard of Berghain until this forum, but I would assume their version of "spotlight" would be shit :lol:.

Ibiza has been and will always be a special place. I assume its because most people leave that hometown bullshit behind the moment they get off the plane.

Went Berlin once got knocked back from Suicide Circus and then couldn't be arsed with the queue at Watergate to be knocked back again or any other in the city so we got mashed at the hotel. Job done. Won't bother again because no one's telling me I'm not there purely for the music. I'll rave harder then any mofo.

Anyway f'ck Berlin this is an Ibiza message board. Let's get back on topic. Any closing rumours?

Bouncer kicks out a gay person... "homophobic club!"
Bouncer denies entry of a black person... "racists!"
IMO it's a quite ungrateful job - so I have my deepest respect. I live in Berlin for three years now and as everyone got rejected several time, that's really standard in Berlin ("always have alternatives").

When you absolutely want to visit a specific event - queue non-cyclical (so very early or very late). Several clubs meanwhile offer tickets on RA - the chance is quite high to get in with it.

As mentioned above, the best thing with Ibiza is there’s no right or wrong look and you can just be yourself (within reason)at pretty much any big night.

Re Berlin, I do get the gay clubs being strict on the door in terms of turning away straights, but if they have a quasi mixed policy it seems to me that they’re in danger of straying into a racist/sexist policy. Not being able to speak German or being the wrong gender is not really a reason not to let someone in. I don’t get the notion of ‘looking wrong’ either as I’d prefer to get to know someone before judging. This is particularly ironic in the case of Berghain that after all was a place that was safe for a discriminated group in times gone by to be free from prejudice, which has now turned into an attraction for rejecting people that don’t meet its ideal.

Actually in Berlin this weekend, but the thought of queueing to get turned away for how I look doesn’t really appeal.

Actually in Berlin this weekend, but the thought of queueing to get turned away for how I look doesn’t really appeal.

Don't fixate on that or be put off, just have a few clubs lined up, know what's on and give it a whorl. You couldn't turn up to Pacha VIP in swimwear and get offended when they sent you away. It's not that different really, apart from the lack of a written rulebook and it going a little further into how you present yourself as well as what you're wearing.

rumours...octan closing full line up to be announced tomorrow. quite the list of artists I have to say!

Any real surprises ? ?

There is a reason why the only people who slack berlin off is the people who don't get in to decent clubs or never been at all. And I am not talking about tresor or watergate because they are full of tourists and does not have that magic. Once you get in, it all makes sense ;)

Anyways since destino and KM5 is closed is it safe to say that cocoon after will be in benimussa park?

Sorry to hear you had trouble getting in but the door policies is what makes Berlin clubs so special. They filter out the people who simply do not fit in the vibe and atmospbere that they are trying to create. The whole thing goes much deeper than simply dancing to music with your hands in the air. Once you inside it is combination of the venue, music and the crowd which creates this insane surreal feeling where you think you are in a movie...some kind of different dimension.

The key is to not take it personally and simply move onto the next venue, there are so many options that you will get in somewhere eventually. Gotta do your research tho, know what party you are attending, what djs are playing, what type of crowd it brings. For me it makes the clubbing more exciting, it becomes an adventure :)
No. They filter out people that they perceive won’t fit the vibe. Of course you are going to take rejection at the door personally for how you look, how you are dressed or not knowing the djs name. That’s special alright. And then you get likes from the same posters that face away from the dj and go to clubs for the music, not who is playing it. That’s a bit special too. I get your point about research, I do. We are all hypocrites.

I'm a door-picker at a fiercely underground Berlin event which is filling up and I suddenly gotta choose between:

A. Two clued-up, emotionally-invested clubbers who I've seen before, have a good rapport with & who get the ethos of the party

OR

B. Some random tourist who nobody else seems to know & who is likely to spend the duration pestering the djs for tracks, selfies or on their phone...

?

I mean the dilemma is killing me here...
Because everyone turning up at a club door is either one or the other, aren’t they? Take a day off mate. You will have no scene in no time on your watch. Just pleased I’ve not tried to get in your club or I’d be getting my first ever door rejection despite clubbing in underground environments all over the world. Absolutely non inclusive, pretentious bullshit.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. They filter out people that they perceive won’t fit the vibe. Of course you are going to take rejection at the door personally for how you look, how you are dressed or not knowing the djs name. That’s special alright. And then you get likes from the same posters that face away from the dj and go to clubs for the music, not who is playing it. That’s a bit special too. I get your point about research, I do. We are all hypocrites.

You forgot to add attidute to the list ;)

You forgot to add attidute to the list ;)
It was your list. If you are going to come on here and advocate a door policy of the nature you describe many would question your attitude because you wouldn’t get away with it elsewhere in society :p. Personally I like your condescending, self righteous ‘don’t take it personally (it’s just you are less deserving of entry than I am)’ line best. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back