*** ibiza gossip 2019 ***

I'm a door-picker at a fiercely underground Berlin event which is filling up and I suddenly gotta choose between:

A. Two clued-up, emotionally-invested clubbers who I've seen before, have a good rapport with & who get the ethos of the party

OR

B. Some random tourist who nobody else seems to know & who is likely to spend the duration pestering the djs for tracks, selfies or on their phone...

?

I mean the dilemma is killing me here...

How would a tourist be random if he knows the tracks and the label and has actually had major DJs play out said tracks?

We're talking about dance music parties... I mean it's either ppl who are free spirited and who like having a good time and interacting with others
or
Ibiza Spotlight forumers who act snarky on message boards, belittling others and stand with notepads in clubs with white lab coats who create graphs of who knows what who shudder at the thought of dancing?

I mean the choice is killing me..

@Nobbie Q even knows what time the DJs are on at, so he should get extra points.. :lol: Seriously, I met Nobbie a couple of nights and he's a top bloke. I think the thing I took away from this holiday is that if YOU are having a good time, it doesn't matter so much what people around you are doing. The only people capable of putting a real downer on the nights are the sex pests/gropers if you're out with girls.

How would a tourist be random if he knows the tracks and the label and has actually had major DJs play out said tracks?

We're talking about dance music parties... I mean it's either ppl who are free spirited and who like having a good time and interacting with others
or
Ibiza Spotlight forumers who act snarky on message boards, belittling others and stand with notepads in clubs with white lab coats who create graphs of who knows what who shudder at the thought of dancing?

I mean the choice is killing me..

I'm sure you're a top guy IRL but on here you give off this cold, calculated consumer vibe when clubbing is supposed to be a mystical thing with a family vibe. but you don't get it. you haven't grown up with it. hardly your fault. just don't preach at people who know what they're talking about.

I'm sure you're a top guy IRL but on here you give off this cold, calculated consumer vibe when clubbing is supposed to be a mystical thing with a family vibe. but you don't get it. you haven't grown up with it. hardly your fault. just don't preach at people who know what they're talking about.
Wow!

What a condescending comment.

Clubbing (like most things) is different for everyone - for some people it's the way you describe it, for some people it's just about getting off their face with their mates.

nah - sorry if you go to Berlin and slag it off for trying to keep the underground alive... then you forfeit my respect. soz.
To be fair, after being on the forum for a while, and reading quite a number of your posts, it appears to me that you only tend to respect people that align with your particular viewpoints. It makes for quite an unwelcoming environment, especially when one professes to have an inclusive, 'family-like' mentality.

Anyways, I'm dangerously close to getting this thread off topic, so back to Ibiza 2019 gossip - does anyone more info on the Privilege closing yet?

Also, there seems to be a difference of opinion regarding numbers this year - many of the islanders have said that numbers are down, but each of the times I've been, it's seemed very busy! Does anyone have any actual numbers to back either view?

@Nobbie Q even knows what time the DJs are on at, so he should get extra points.. :lol: Seriously, I met Nobbie a couple of nights and he's a top bloke. I think the thing I took away from this holiday is that if YOU are having a good time, it doesn't matter so much what people around you are doing. The only people capable of putting a real downer on the nights are the sex pests/gropers if you're out with girls.
Yes - or racist bouncers / door staff.

To be fair, after being on the forum for a while, and reading quite a number of your posts, it appears to me that you only tend to respect people that align with your particular viewpoints. It makes for quite an unwelcoming environment, especially when one professes to have an inclusive, 'family-like' mentality.

100% not true. but whatever.

apols for hijack.

Yes - or racist bouncers / door staff.

Is that a big problem in Ibiza? (I ask as a white person.) Bouncers were okay everywhere I went this year, though I think the guy on the door at Zoo got an extra 10 euro off me that he shouldn't have. I could have sworn I'd already given him money, but my mind was too pickled to be 100% sure or to argue. :spank:

Clubbing (like most things) is different for everyone - for some people it's the way you describe it, for some people it's just about getting off their face with their mates.

That is very true, and it's not the crowd a lot of Berlin venues want to have through their doors. Groups of people, especially bigger ones, often keep to themselves, don't integrate with the party or else dominate areas of a dancefloor or club in packs. Never seen that happening in Berlin, probably on account of the venues I've chosen to go to. With door selection and people knowing damned fine unless they arrive separately they are very likely getting kicked at the door, odds are some of them won't get in and any chance of a "my posse is bigger than your posse" vibe developing is pretty much dashed. Might feel like a blunt instrument for people who like to stick together I guess, but that doesn't make the atmosphere of a club socially outward-looking, and that is one of the things at the very heart of what that scene is all about - it's not just about music.

Is that a big problem in Ibiza? (I ask as a white person.) Bouncers were okay everywhere I went this year, though I think the guy on the door at Zoo got an extra 10 euro off me that he shouldn't have. I could have sworn I'd already given him money, but my mind was too pickled to be 100% sure or to argue. :spank:
My Asian friends have had issues a couple of times; security and bouncers have gotten better each year though.

We were charged double for entrance in Hi a couple of years back, and the security got quite... "serious" about it.

The security at Hi seem to actually care if girls are getting harassed, though, which can only be a good thing.

Last edited:
That is very true, and it's not the crowd a lot of Berlin venues want to have through their doors. Groups of people, especially bigger ones, often keep to themselves, don't integrate with the party or else dominate areas of a dancefloor or club in packs. Never seen that happening in Berlin, probably on account of the venues I've chosen to go to. With door selection and people knowing damned fine unless they arrive separately they are very likely getting kicked at the door, odds are some of them won't get in and any chance of a "my posse is bigger than your posse" vibe developing is pretty much dashed. Might feel like a blunt instrument for people who like to stick together I guess, but that doesn't make the atmosphere of a club socially outward-looking.
It's also been said that a lot of Berlin venues don't want non-German people in their venues, or want to limit the number; you could argue this extends to being racist. My comment about racist door staff refers to Berlin more than Ibiza.

I have no issue with any venue controlling who enters, to be clear - it's right of admission reserved, and if I ran a club and wanted to only let skinny blonde white guys in, that would be up to me.

That doesn't change the fact that door policy can be (and is) largely based on appearance, including skin colour, and you sometimes can't tell what kind of person or clubber someone is, or how much they like their music, just by looking at them and uttering a few sentences in German.

You will not find Out the reason a bouncer rejects you. In many cases he dont know for himself. Its only a Feeling and the First sight. Thats what a bouncer told me , I knew ...
And then we have the Clubs with special crowds , for example Kit Kat in Berlin. Dont try it with Lidl Fetish wear , they will laugh.
You have to be one of them or not.

Last edited:

So true !!!!!

Berlin is fairly meh anyway. Watergate is hardly underground and the entry process for most clubs is flawed. Really it is a gamble for anyone that is not German. I know a couple that have been to Berghain just to see it. They have no interest in the music - or even go clubbing in the UK. But they were there, they dressed in black, looked at the line up. Spoke in English at the door but got in.

It's also been said that a lot of Berlin venues don't want non-German people in their venues, or want to limit the number; you could argue this extends to being racist. My comment about racist door staff refers to Berlin more than Ibiza.

I have no issue with any venue controlling who enters, to be clear - it's right of admission reserved, and if I ran a club and wanted to only let skinny blonde white guys in, that would be up to me.

That doesn't change the fact that door policy can be (and is) largely based on appearance, including skin colour, and you sometimes can't tell what kind of person or clubber someone is, or how much they like their music, just by looking at them and uttering a few sentences in German.

A lot is said about a lot of things. German-speaking is different to German, and I think you'd find a massive difference between door attitude to German and non-German speakers. On skin colour, it's not as if Berlin isn't racially diverse or the crowds I've seen inside places I've been aren't either !! It's easy to feel victimized or discriminated against if you get rejected and pull a racism card. But to be honest if a gregarious lager-swilling white Bavarian presented himself at some of those doors I think he'd have about as much chance of getting in as a North American tourist in a football jersey !

Watergate is hardly underground

Indeed, for me it's a "tourist club" albeit a relatively nice one.

That is very true, and it's not the crowd a lot of Berlin venues want to have through their doors. Groups of people, especially bigger ones, often keep to themselves, don't integrate with the party or else dominate areas of a dancefloor or club in packs. Never seen that happening in Berlin, probably on account of the venues I've chosen to go to. With door selection and people knowing damned fine unless they arrive separately they are very likely getting kicked at the door, odds are some of them won't get in and any chance of a "my posse is bigger than your posse" vibe developing is pretty much dashed. Might feel like a blunt instrument for people who like to stick together I guess, but that doesn't make the atmosphere of a club socially outward-looking, and that is one of the things at the very heart of what that scene is all about - it's not just about music.

Otherwise, Berghain will look like this:

StagsHensParties.jpg

Or

26ef00f4646a7740e12095260e41a443.jpg

Dont try it with Lidl Fetish wear , they will laugh.
You have to be one of them or not.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Actually this place got a bad name since they started to hire staff from Southern Europe, it seems they are even ruder than the German ones !

I think its not a question of German or Not : The swabians ( Stuttgart areas ) are not well liked from the Berlin People. Bavarian accent ist not a advantage , too ...
Schwabe ist a Rüde Word in Berlin. Its complicated ...

Back