*** ibiza gossip 2019 ***

Agree with the following points

-Circo loco looks great on paper but what keeps me away is the short set times, random running orders, and overcrowding/bottlenecks

-Seeing a dj at a festival or a club is not the same.

I think I seen a dj recently comment that they can't make enough from productions so they are forced to do 'money gigs'. By that they ment the festival circuit etc
Most of these big festivals are just soulless money makers and not my thing at all. (there are some with history and identity)

Some get it more or less right...right? Dekmantel a front runner with regards to a certain sound for the stages plus good length set times to boot?

Some crunching here of numbers on Studio 338 capacity (3000)

Average rough entry - £40 = £120,000
Alcohol on the night? £25 each average... £75,000
Ancillary likes cloakroom... Call it £2000 to be generous

Total £197,000

10 djs averaging 5k for an hour £50,000
Staff for the night? 20 security? 20 bar staff? £5,000

Leaves 140k...

Rent, licence, supplies, advertising, insurance, legal fees, taxes.... Debatable how much that all comes to... but actually when you look at it you find that there is a healthy amount of money left over after your big single night costs

Lol I'm sure the owner of Studio 338 is reading this and wondering where all his money has gone.

Do you think the sound and lighting rig fell out of someone's arse too? ?

There isn't a single ticket available for any event that I can see at 338 (with the exception of some VIP tickets) for more than £25. Average at £20 brings your 'nett' down to £80k. Say they make 500% mark up on their alcohol, you are down to £65k. Now add in the other expenses and cost of capital, at a minimum of £20k total.

Left with £45k PRE TAX profit! Barely 10-15% profit by the time they have paid their tax on what is a high risk operation, and that assumes everything goes well and you fill the place.

Agree with the following points

-Circo loco looks great on paper but what keeps me away is the short set times, random running orders, and overcrowding/bottlenecks

-Seeing a dj at a festival or a club is not the same.

I think I seen a dj recently comment that they can't make enough from productions so they are forced to do 'money gigs'. By that they ment the festival circuit etc
Most of these big festivals are just soulless money makers and not my thing at all. (there are some with history and identity)

Bad sound quality / Bad food / Poor Alcohol choice / Portaloo's....

Though I did see Vids from Paradise at Creamfields and that did look like a great production.
But then you find out about the theft on site... Cars being broken down for parts or into and with the SW4 stabbings recently and the wearefstvl queuing problems and then on top of that the deaths... It isn't looking great for UK festivals this year

But then you find out about the theft on site... Cars being broken down for parts or into and with the SW4 stabbings recently and the wearefstvl queuing problems and then on top of that the deaths... It isn't looking great for UK festivals this year

There's theft at every single festival, concert, gig, event though. Tomorrowland, Creamfields, Ibiza clubs - it happens wherever you go. Same with deaths to be honest. Unfortunately I do think that the UK ones hit the news harder because we're seen as some of the worst party-goers in the world (larger-louts, drugs etc).

Anyone been to Wildchild @ Heart this year? Any good? Looking for an option for Saturday night when I'm over. Not dead set on going out but if the mood strikes it'd be good to have an option. Will be in Ibiza town so was wondering whether this was any good?

Sorry this Q got lost in the debate @Naive Melody
From all reports, WILDCHILD is fantastic musically but could do with being a little busier. When you compare to other options: elrow, ANTS, Black Coffee, Pure Pacha, arguably I'd say it's a great compromise to have things a little less busier but amazing music guaranteed.

Ultimately what most of these nights in Ibiza try to do is wack on as many names on their board for a set budget... It creates more of a hype for example... Circoloco they love collecting the djs together for a big bash. In reality it just ends up being a shit night.

I will wait patiently for someone to look me in the eye with more positives than negatives about their night at Circoloco...

Sounds great on paper, looks amazing on social media - in reality you are just left with disappointment
Amen

I will wait patiently for someone to look me in the eye with more positives than negatives about their night at Circoloco...

I've had a fantastic night at circoloco this week. genuinely nothing I could criticise.

it was the perfect level of busy, the programming was great from 21:30 to close (garden first and then terrace all night), the music was fantastic and the crowd was great. am sure the fact solomun had his diynamic showcase at amnesia helped two of those factors (level of busy and crowd in general), but I truly had one of my best nights at circoloco in years this week.

Re the small and intimate v super club debate I think there’s a bit of room for both. I enjoy smaller clubs with a more clued up crowd, longer sets and exclusive vibes. But equally, there is something about the drama and hype of a massive Carl Cox set (for example) in a packed out superclub with massive production etc that can still make the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

I've had a fantastic night at circoloco this week. genuinely nothing I could criticise.

it was the perfect level of busy, the programming was great from 21:30 to close (garden first and then terrace all night), the music was fantastic and the crowd was great. am sure the fact solomun had his diynamic showcase at amnesia helped two of those factors (level of busy and crowd in general), but I truly had one of my best nights at circoloco in years this week.

Sounds good and the feeling here is that if Circoloco kept their numbers down everyone would no doubt want to return... creating demand for the right reasons not because XYZ are playing b2b2b2b2b2b2b - The Circoloco clown resembles a circus alright

Bad sound quality / Bad food / Poor Alcohol choice / Portaloo's....

Though I did see Vids from Paradise at Creamfields and that did look like a great production.
Link to the story on SW4 stabbings please?

Lol I'm sure the owner of Studio 338 is reading this and wondering where all his money has gone.

Do you think the sound and lighting rig fell out of someone's arse too? ?

There isn't a single ticket available for any event that I can see at 338 (with the exception of some VIP tickets) for more than £25. Average at £20 brings your 'nett' down to £80k. Say they make 500% mark up on their alcohol, you are down to £65k. Now add in the other expenses and cost of capital, at a minimum of £20k total.

Left with £45k PRE TAX profit! Barely 10-15% profit by the time they have paid their tax on what is a high risk operation, and that assumes everything goes well and you fill the place.
Don’t forget the VAT, that £20 ticket is actually £16.66

Don't forget ticket website taking their cut
Also true. I know an awful lot about this for reasons I won’t go into, but there’s not a lot of cash kicking around in profit for the venue once everyone has been paid. Might do a full P&L for a week if I can be fooked (unlikely!) to show everything that goes into it

I know this is completely off topic for this thread - but what kind of fee's do DJ's like Carola, Sven, Solomun etc earn per hour?

an obscene amount. clearly depends on a number of factors (venue size, relationship with promoter etc etc), but mind blowing amounts of money.

We have booked two of the three you mention in the last few years.

So many variables its impossible to say accurately, and afaik it is not really based per hour, as logistics is probably the single biggest contributing factor for any major DJ. Expect to pay from £15-150k per set for an established but not superstar Dj , i.e Ame, up to the premium for the likes of Carola and Solomun. Though those figures at the top of the spectrum are more likely for one off events, such as a private birthday party. There are obviously concessions to be made for the exposure a DJ gets by playing a major festival, are they in the country already, size of venue, etc, etc..

you think Ame gets between 15-150k per set?

Back