*** ibiza 2018 observations ***

It has to be prices IMO. That mixmag article was useless as it didnt mention prices for hotels increasing when we knew right away. I seriously question their journalism at times as we could easily get some forum members to write for them.

But yeah, like even something Marco Polo 1 and 2 which were always low cost options have increased in price. It's just too expensive for what you're getting. I personally feel mad guilty for going again this year but it has to be done.

The spread of festivals and exchange rate to euros isn't helping either. The CDN to EUR rate has been in freefall for a few years now. Is Croatia experiencing the same thing too?

UK is having too good a Summer. Last Sunday I went paddleboarding near home in Devon before 8am and there was already only one free all day parking space left. By the time I returned after midday there was not a space to be had in any car park including the £8 a day one and even the overflows in fields way up the hill were full, people were parked up the road like Salinas and there was a constant stream of up to 14 cars at a time at every pull-in trying to get down the single lane sections with nowhere to park when they arrived. I have never seen it remotely so busy let alone before state schools break up.

There are new ice cream and cool drinks concessions on the main beaches - 3 times more than in any previous year. The place is heaving. I doubt Ibiza is the only casualty as far as UK tourists are concerned.

Last edited:
I went the first week of July and agree it was more quiet than I anticipated. I liked it tbh, but I imagine the people whose lives depend on tourism may be worried.

It’s probably due to a bunch of reasons, but they all go back to the poor management of the island for years. A lot of focus on VIP, but what about everyone else?

Ive been reading lots of alarmed workers and business owners on facebook. There are a lot of anxious people out there worried about their livelihood failing. sad to see.
The same ones who were moaning against the all inclusive 15 years ago?

Big reason is obviously the prices of things going up.
ibiza has always been more expensive than other destinations, but it was alway worth it and we kept coming back.

However in my opinion not only is the price going up but the quality of what your getting is going down.

I don't mean that to sound like a "ibiza was better back then" comment
I mean just factual things such as reduced closing hours strictly closing at 7am, West end hours, no daytime each parties, then also subjective things like no bora bora and no space! Etc

Big reason is obviously the prices of things going up.
ibiza has always been more expensive than other destinations, but it was alway worth it and we kept coming back.

However in my opinion not only is the price going up but the quality of what your getting is going down.

I don't mean that to sound like a "ibiza was better back then" comment
I mean just factual things such as reduced closing hours strictly closing at 7am, West end hours, no daytime each parties, then also subjective things like no bora bora and no space! Etc

Exactly. The people I brought to Ibiza were shocked there weren’t more day parties and parties on the beach. Everyone wants that stress free, bohemian, beach vibe.....and you can’t really get that in Ibiza. The afterhours folks are running elsewhere.

I get the government needed to get a hold of the partying, but they threw the baby out with the bathwater.

I might be way off the mark, but we are getting older. Gen X is *THE* generation of going hard, partying hard, and not giving a shite about the next day. And there are less and less of us each year, replaced by generation iPhone/generation teetotal. Same reason clubs (and pubs) are dying everywhere else. Ibiza was the long-term hold out, but now the powers that be are killing that too.

Hopefully it's just a shit year, and next year bounces back, because I want to go again :)

Everyone wants that stress free, bohemian, beach vibe.....and you can’t really get that in Ibiza. The afterhours folks are running elsewhere.
If this is what you want get down to Sunwaves, amazing festival and very care free, endless hours of non-stop music and a very nice clued up crowd … for the minute atleast

There a few good deals to be had but I agree with most of the comments on here regarding prices of hotels and the good summer we are having back home.

I ended up going 'old-skool' and booking a package holiday through Tui....£944 for flights and a 2-bedroom apartment in Santa Eularia. Me, my girlfriend and our 9-month old baby for first week of September. Even includes transfers to and from the airport! (not done that for a while) Not the type of holiday I have done in the past but shows you can get on the island relatively cheaply....don't under-estimate the package, some good late deals around

Indeed. You can get a week at the end of September for £320pp on a package deal with jet2 from Newcastle with a bag each, transfers etc staying in San an.

Some right deals to be had.

Last edited:
Playasol hotel group which owns marco polo, algarb, etc having 35% off promo for august and sept on their website

Still very much on the pricey side for me. Stayed at the Algarb last year and it was ok, but nowhere close nice enough to warrant what they charge for it IMHO

I usually stay in marco polo tho this year stayin in miami hotel in es cana because over for a wedding. Must be bad if hotels offering 35 off in august was wot i was getting at

Still very much on the pricey side for me. Stayed at the Algarb last year and it was ok, but nowhere close nice enough to warrant what they charge for it IMHO

Still more expensive for my stay this September that I paid in March. Staying at Tropical Apartments in Fig.

i notice the posts depicting me as arrogant are picking up likes.

ok, fair enough.

but ask yourselves this fundamental question

would you rather :

1. hear amazing music in a dark room with a strobe

or

2. be smacked around the head by an inflatable pterodactyl

?

That is the choice here.

If you answer 1, we can enter into a conversation.
If you answer 2, then it's all over. the enemy has won. madness reigns.
:lol:

Back