*** ibiza 2018 observations ***

From the term's of what i have heard the crowd has been like at Afterlife, my guess is the answer is yes. I'm not out to Ibiza this year but have a few friends who've been this season and i mentioned in another post my sister is there with her husband now. All reports i've heard from Afterlife is that the music has been real solid and the crowd downright awful. I would say Afterlife has officially surpassed Music On as the "cool" party to go to which we can all argue is either good or bad but I'd argue that's no surprise with a move to a venue like Hi.
Is that not how u get in2 new music by goin to nights your not familiar with? Think all nights are gonna hav a lot of ppl standing takin it all in and other ppl are gonna be goin for it. Dont think the venue matters

Well hark at Miss Marple and her intuition!

Arrogant? What for telling the truth and calling bullshit on novelty nonsense?

As for the ‘gateway’ argument, maybe? Who knows? Certainly not how i started out..

Anyway, we’re going round in circles..

Back to the thread
No. For being the self appointed arbiter of what is and isn’t a good party and music and when we should stay on theme and when we shouldn’t. A shame. You have much knowledge to offer imo. But the level of arrogance isn’t appealing.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. For being the self appointed arbiter of what is and isn’t a good party and music and when we should stay on theme and when we shouldn’t. A shame. You have much knowledge to offer imo. But the level of arrogance isn’t appealing.

Ok. 5-10 years ago I was having exactly the same exchanges with people on here. The arguments all used to get a bit retarded and a bit shouty but the underlying points I was making were valid then and they're just as valid now. I don't want clubbing to go all Disney/novelty. It does nobody any favours and puts serious DJs/punters off Ibiza. Obv you're free to disagree. Hell you're even free to attend these parties. It's not like I'm standing outside with a placard in one hand and semtex in the other...

Shooting the messenger for telling home truths is a bit pointless though. You might as well attack your postman for bringing the gas bill...

Terry Farley's observations this evening:

Love Island Wannabee Youth / U5's .
Stayed in San An last couple of days for the first time since my first Ibiza holiday in 82 . After a really lovely time at Clockwork i had a late stroll around the bay prom past Ocean Beach club saw loads of these kids on their first holiday gawping over the wall into OBC looking at the Love Island wannabee's thinking ' one day that will be me ' . Girls straight out of 6th form in False eye lashes covering more flesh than their high st 'Glam beach wear ' and the lads all with the same chopped barnet and fake Supreme bum bags strapped across the body ( Miles Simpson gotcha ) they paraded about like they owned the world or at least that mile stretch of concrete leading down to Es Paradise their skinny bodies still untouched by those shite fuzzy grey tatts the older Love Island Teds all sported . . How f***ing brilliant to be that young and untouched by the troubles life brings you or having any comparisons to what has gone before - f*** Sushi at Blue Marlin or Octopus at Hostel La Torre they all went to KFC for Boneless Banquet . The L.I.W.Y ruled the warm night and i went back to the hotel for a well earned kip wishing i was in that crew with endless possibilities ahead .

Ok. 5-10 years ago I was having exactly the same exchanges with people on here. The arguments all used to get a bit retarded and a bit shouty but the underlying points I was making were valid then and they're just as valid now. I don't want clubbing to go all Disney/novelty. It does nobody any favours and puts serious DJs/punters off Ibiza. Obv you're free to disagree. Hell you're even free to attend these parties. It's not like I'm standing outside with a placard in one hand and semtex in the other...

Shooting the messenger for telling home truths is a bit pointless though. You might as well attack your postman for bringing the gas bill...
They aren’t home truths, Kim. They are your opinions, not law. You are bound to have the same arguments year after year because it’s such an emotive subject. Different people like different things. Different people like different music and some are more interested in the atmosphere and experience and gimmicks than the music. different people have different entry points into music and some will evolve while others don’t. No one is attacking you, but they and I are offering an opinion on your views and some are different to yours. To use the notion of being under attack is utterly bizarre considering the outright aggressive nature of some of your posts. But you know all this, you are a clever guy and you don’t need it spelling out to you in such simple terms.

Frankly I couldn’t give a f*** what terry Farley thinks. He’s a gnarly, cynical old negative bastard imo (I should know, I share many of these attributes). If oakenfold and Rampling are no longer relevant to Ibiza these days then neither is he. He exposes himself as being out of touch in his own quotes. Times changed.

You are a fascinating poster. You have a deep history with dance music and what appears to be an encyclopaedic knowledge of the subject. But you aren’t the arbiter of good taste, nor education. And I’m speaking as someone that has been around the clubbing block at least or longer than you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
They aren’t home truths, Kim. They are your opinions, not law. You are bound to have the same arguments year after year because it’s such an emotive subject. Different people like different things. Different people like different music and some are more interested in the atmosphere and experience and gimmicks than the music. different people have different entry points into music and some will evolve while others don’t. No one is attacking you, but they and I are offering an opinion on your views and some are different to yours. To use the notion of being under attack is utterly bizarre considering the outright aggressive nature of some of your posts. But you know all this, you are a clever guy and you don’t need it spelling out to you in such simple terms.

Frankly I couldn’t give a f*** what terry Farley thinks. He’s a gnarly, cynical old negative bastard imo (I should know, I share many of these attributes). If oakenfold and Rampling are no longer relevant to Ibiza these days then neither is he. He exposes himself as being out of touch in his own quotes. Times changed.

You are a fascinating poster. You have a deep history with dance music and what appears to be an encyclopaedic knowledge of the subject. But you aren’t the arbiter of good taste, nor education. And I’m speaking as someone that has been around the clubbing block at least or longer than you have.
I sit somewhere in between but that’s a good post.

Ps. I like you both

I know I am new to this forum, (to give you a brief background I have been clubbing/dancing since 1991 in NYC, way before bottle service and all crap that came along with it- 1st trip to Ibiza was 1999 where I fell in love with the island like so many others, have been coming back ever since, when time/money affords). SO, maybe I’m going out on a limb here expressing my opinion, and of course I’m stating the obvious, but it seems the obvious has gotten lost in this forum…that being said...no one can debate this is a beautiful island with a magical quality everyone keeps coming back to. One of the top things I LOVE about Ibiza is the infinite options of club nights/parties- whatever tickles your fancy on any given night, the option is here! PLUS you get amazing little villages to explore, beaches, restaurants, bars, sunsets, hikes, and old town/Dalt Villa/history as well….whatever you want- whatever your feeling! How many other places do you know of around the world that offer all of that on an island in a beautiful setting with amazing people? As I said, one of the main reasons I love the island is how much diversity in clubbing/parties it has to offer…personally I will never step foot in Ushuaia or go to Elrow for my own reasons, but I don’t fault those that do, have at it, and I hope you have an amazing time- REALLY I do!! The one thing I am fearful about is the “Vegasifcation” of Ibiza- where everything becomes “VIP”, and bottle service, and VEGAS (personally, YUCK!)… I witnessed this first hand in NYC. Being there clubbing in the 90’s you could pay entry to any club and have a fantastic time- there was no “bottle service”, paying for “tables” etc. There was a VIP room, but that was all it was, it was a place sanctioned off with a velvet rope, still no bottle service within...But now bottle service etc. in NYC clubs is ALL IT IS...I REALLY hope Ibiza does NOT become like Vegas or NYC… All that to say, I want to re-iterate what an amazing, beautiful island Ibiza is with all of its history, diversity in music/DJS/clubs/events, and that there is something for everyone- and THAT is one of Ibiza's many beautiful attributes!!

Last edited:

What was your previous username just out of interest?

if you're that curious, a bit of casual detective work in the searchbox might reap rich rewards @soha ... I don't emerge out of that sorry saga particularly well but you live and half-learn

*probably best for another thread but would love to read your NYC stories @GermanWiener - The Moby autobiog a couple of years back shone an interesting light on that period. Essentially the situation in IBZ isn't so different to London, NYC or anywhere else. People disconnected from the roots either through demographics/geography no longer really understand what it's all about. It's not really their fault. The music scene and the wider world has changed so much. The idea of being part of a scene and really feeling part of a 'family' is dying out. Wherever I go in Spain now I now hear this Puerto Rican reggaeton seeping out of people's phones, cars, shops. It's totally alien to anything I can relate to but it is all-conquering. Resistance is futile, even whilst you're screaming in terror.

Wherever I go in Spain now I now hear this Puerto Rican reggaeton seeping out of people's phones, cars, shops. It's totally alien to anything I can relate to but it is all-conquering. Resistance is futile, even whilst you're screaming in terror.

Wifey reports that it has taken Argentina too. :spank:

As someone who had lived in PR for 6+ years and visits regularly, its really odd hearing it abroad. It made us visibly frown everytime we heard it while in Ibiza. Funny thing is that I feel like its less popular in Puerto Rico than it used to be, or at least the kids are not as loud with it. In '05-'10 is was ridiculous... and some tunes were quite infectious (even to me).

Maybe in 20 years this forum will be debating if top clubs SWAG and Eden should host nights with Daddy Yankee and Don Omar or keep up-to-date with the new reggaeton. Pacha will struggle to fill itself and will attempt 'daytime family raves' and 'Bingo nights', while Privilege will return to being a daytime pool and rec center. I personally will be spending my pension at the brothel formerly known as Lio, for the cheap cans of San Miguel and view of Dalt Villa (obviously).

Last edited:
It's easy to understand why it is so popular if you are out and about on the island. In car parks, on the streets and on the buses, the local youths are loving this music. It's all they play through their phones!

Back