*** ibiza 2018 observations ***

Another observation from Amnesia both Music On and Pyramid: the security are hot on stamping out people videoing on their phones this year. Being on your phone for shazam or taking a brief photo doesn't appear to be a problem, so far as I can tell. But if they catch you recording, you get a lazer in your face. And if you continue you will soon be approached and told to stop. One guy I saw last Friday was actually made to delete the video from his phone.

This is great news. Can’t stand phones in clubs I do understand why people do it been on holiday Etc but nothing kills the vibe on the Dancefloor than everyone with there phones in the air and don’t get me started on when people use the flash :mad:

Why are we at a point where many threads are taken over by drug discussions?

Give it a rest folks, there is a thread of it’s own called “Drugs”

Good point... sometimes we need a kick.

So back to general observations. The last few days of June are here. Has it been busier, quieter, less clubbers, more families etc. What's the feel?

Well it has been 12 years in a row I have been to Ibiza, so over a decade too. I don’t think things changed really. I grew up and became more mature. While when younger I was trying to make my way in front of the dj booth, now I prefer to find a nice space where I can enjoy dancing. 10 years ago it was the same issue at DC10. Overcrowded and a lot of selfish people inside on whom drugs have a nasty effect but continue to carry on and are pushing you the whole night. Now I cannot stand it anymore so either I go early and then when the music in the terrace is finished I stay close to the doors outside and I can catch a glimpse of music and have nice random chats with the people around or either I don’t go at all. But yes it has always been the same. Regarding drugs everybody are different and have different experiences. But I have my best memories of chatting with random people in the upfloor outdoor area at Space with a line or two of coke or rolling on pills. Regarding K, always the same for me. I take a half line or two toward the end of the party when I start to come down and I have an amazing feeling. I’m full of happiness and energy and I want to hug and chat with everybody around. If you never got this maybe it’s because drugs are not for you and you should not take it like those people pushing or staring at the ceiling.

Good point... sometimes we need a kick.

So back to general observations. The last few days of June are here. Has it been busier, quieter, less clubbers, more families etc. What's the feel?

I was there 14-18th of June and i thought it seemed quieter than before. More families possibly aswell.

So what’s abode and dns been like at Amnesia this year. It’s a possible option for me on the 5th of July. I’d rather do this than go to Hi but would prefer it to be nicely busy rather than empty. If this is not the one would afterlife be the better choice music and crowd wise.

So what’s abode and dns been like at Amnesia this year. It’s a possible option for me on the 5th of July. I’d rather do this than go to Hi but would prefer it to be nicely busy rather than empty. If this is not the one would afterlife be the better choice music and crowd wise.

I’m not on the island so I can’t comment on how busy Abode/DNS have been and Afterlife starts on Thursday so that is to be seen (although I would suspect very busy). One thing I will say though is looking at both lineups on 5th July, from a musical perspective its a no-brainer - Tale of Us, AME, Adriatique and Thugf*cker in the main room with Robert Hood in the terrace is going to be superb. Compare that with some fairly generic tech house drivel on the Abode side and a very run of the mill DNS.

Crowd wise too my assumption would be that Abode is going to be 95% English and workers, whereas Afterlife will be far more diverse and musically mature.

I know we have all (including myself) slated Hï in the past, but I would certainly give it another shot for the Afterlife event!

Another observation from Amnesia both Music On and Pyramid: the security are hot on stamping out people videoing on their phones this year. Being on your phone for shazam or taking a brief photo doesn't appear to be a problem, so far as I can tell. But if they catch you recording, you get a lazer in your face. And if you continue you will soon be approached and told to stop. One guy I saw last Friday was actually made to delete the video from his phone.

Laser in face?!
:!: "Do not use phone in club with one remaining good eye"
:lol:

This is brilliant. I wonder if a promoter will ever have the confidence to insist on a sticker over the camera phone on entry? I think the likes of Cocoon or even Paradise could be the first to do this - both are confident enough in themselves to not need endless clips of their night on social media. It would become a talking point, and indirectly probably get you talked about more.

Agree the sticker over the camera would be a great idea. I get the "free promotion" thing with videos doing the rounds on social media, but surely promoters are missing a trick in not doing it? It would give them something different to every other night on the island and at the same time improve the atmosphere/vibe in the place? It's something that really annoys me, trying to get lost in the music but some 6ft10 brick shit house standing in front of you videoing what's happening.

Agree the sticker over the camera would be a great idea. I get the "free promotion" thing with videos doing the rounds on social media, but surely promoters are missing a trick in not doing it? It would give them something different to every other night on the island and at the same time improve the atmosphere/vibe in the place? It's something that really annoys me, trying to get lost in the music but some 6ft10 brick shit house standing in front of you videoing what's happening.

I would argue that videos posted on line can make a place look poor - Dark grainy clips and watching back on a phone that cannot produce the sound quality experience in person doesn't exactly sell a place to a person

That's really weird. I guess they want ppl to discover the party on their own or don't want any incriminating evidence to show up anywhere

8 or so years ago any photos in Amnesia were banned and they were very strict on it. Would welcome a return

I would argue that videos posted on line can make a place look poor - Dark grainy clips and watching back on a phone that cannot produce the sound quality experience in person doesn't exactly sell a place to a person

Agreed, some of the videos seen online that have a tagline of "this place is going off" or something, only to look shit are commonplace. If the promoter did do something along the lines of a sticker over the lense, they could control what was circulated on social media also.

Confirmation that bouncers in dc10 are using the flash light in the crowd trick and asking for 50e to let you remain in the premesis. Can see a few bouncers with rolex's having off their wrists by September!

Yeah the free promotion thing is wildly overrated. Most of the people on the dance floor have privacy settings on social media so not many people are looking at those vids anyway. On top of that the videos generally suck so I’m not sure what kind of free publicity they are getting. Put a sticker on all the phones (maybe let the vip take vids as a perk since they aren’t on the dance floor) and let the club staff, DJ and their team take vids. You still get that free promotion from vids that don’t suck, but the dance floor is not full of phones.

I’m not on the island so I can’t comment on how busy Abode/DNS have been and Afterlife starts on Thursday so that is to be seen (although I would suspect very busy). One thing I will say though is looking at both lineups on 5th July, from a musical perspective its a no-brainer - Tale of Us, AME, Adriatique and Thugf*cker in the main room with Robert Hood in the terrace is going to be superb. Compare that with some fairly generic tech house drivel on the Abode side and a very run of the mill DNS.

Crowd wise too my assumption would be that Abode is going to be 95% English and workers, whereas Afterlife will be far more diverse and musically mature.

I know we have all (including myself) slated Hï in the past, but I would certainly give it another shot for the Afterlife event!
You are selling it to me. Also hi is a 5 min walk from hotel so makes sense if it’s crap we can always move on.

You are selling it to me. Also hi is a 5 min walk from hotel so makes sense if it’s crap we can always move on.

Afterlife was the best night musically by far for me last year. I was lucky enough to have Dixon playing with Tale of Us and my gosh it was outstanding.
I'm there the same night as you are discussing above and it's a no brainer IMO. Excited to see production in Hi.

Just wasn’t to keen with hi last visit but I’m sure I might be in better spirits as with my mates this time round. Went with wife and another couple last time so wasn’t getting too involved plus got a round in for four of us at 80 euros which wasn’t best pleased about.

No idea but I see this often - if they are not looking at the ceiling they will be facing the totally wrong way staring to the back of the room completely lost

These people are on a cocktail of drugs I would imagine including alcohol

I forgot to mention they also find them self sticking to you!! That is the most annoying thing. You gently push them away and they return with all their body weight on you it really annoys me. After about 3 or 4 times you give them a stronger shove then they look at you all confused, offended and annoyed like they were doing nothing wrong because in their mind they are so out of it they have no idea they are leaning on people

haha so weird......that they do that, what drugs do to your mind hahahah

Afterlife was the best night musically by far for me last year. I was lucky enough to have Dixon playing with Tale of Us and my gosh it was outstanding.
I'm there the same night as you are discussing above and it's a no brainer IMO. Excited to see production in Hi.
I know I can imagine it being amazing.....not been to afterlife yet but i cannot wait to go in July....I love their production too,, next year going to be going sonar at afterlife....I think its july next year

Back