*** Ibiza 2017 observations ***

as @elmooreo says, IMO 'real' clubbers couldn't care less about decor...

no, ever since cocoon fell from the techno throne when all their residents (luciano, carola...) left years ago, they don't take anything for granted. they do promote their events, they do care about the islanders etc. see, even music on hasn't been rammed to the rafters for a few weeks in june (especially the main room). and music on does not have a competitor at dc10 starting late afternoon and going on until nearly 6am (they do when the disclosure residency starts, but this is peak season and 4 weeks only so not comparable). I do think that is what's making the main difference for cocoon at the start of the season.
Depends on what the definition of 'real' clubbers is though. Problem is there isn't enough 'real' clubbers to go around by the sounds of things. And if decor wasn't important clubs wouldn't do it or the light shows or anything other than the music. Then we'd be left with a dark space like discoteca from the 90's! Happy days. But it is 2017 and tastes change, as do clubbing requirements. I wonder how relevant Sven is seen now to the mass clubbing market. Will be interesting to see if cocoon etal can rise up again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems to me the big names these days are Jamie jones, Seth troxler and the Martinez brothers. Maybe not big names to posters on these forums but big to the younger crowd who aren't clubbers that stivi mentioned. Stick any of those 3 on a line up and I think you will have a busy night
They are clubbers. Just different with different requirements. I agree. I sense these guys and the edm crowd are more relevant to the mass Ibiza market that want to club.

Not necessarily a bad thing though. It simply drives the underground back to the underground. Problem is cocoon etal could never really be described as underground.

IMO this is a really nice time to go. clubs busy but most of them not packed - but in my experience busier than in late june.
as you may have heard/read before, the weather is sometimes not stable at that time of the year. if you're lucky you'll have sun, sun and more sun, but you absolutely might get some rainy days in that period. impossible to forecast it really, but some time between mid august and late september, we always get a few rainy days.
Thanks good to know, think I'll give this a gamble, any rainy days can be spent recovering in bed!

Thanks good to know, think I'll give this a gamble, any rainy days can be spent recovering in bed!

The flip side of that is if you have a fixed clubbing agenda, you can't necessarily bank on it being great weather on the other days when you're ready for beach. You have to jump on the good weather when it happens. Speaking as someone who has gone last week of September for the last 10 yrs and loves it...the one downside is if you chase the music and afterparties and it's an unlucky week, you run the risk of not much beach at all...or grey skies / waves / windy beach days.

I imagine early September isn't as much of a crapshoot as late Sept though. And the music & crowds make it well worth the tradeoff, in my book anyway!

Seems to me the big names these days are Jamie jones, Seth troxler and the Martinez brothers. Maybe not big names to posters on these forums but big to the younger crowd who aren't clubbers that stivi mentioned. Stick any of those 3 on a line up and I think you will have a busy night

He has to be the most boring DJ I've ever heard!! There really is nothing happening in his sets at all!! Music to fill the silence between the previous DJ and the one following him...

He has to be the most boring DJ I've ever heard!! There really is nothing happening in his sets at all!! Music to fill the silence between the previous DJ and the one following him...
I tend to agree. But he has many equals when it comes to most boring - joris voorn, josh wink (in the last two years), Kerri chandler, john digweed (controversial, I know) at the moment are all playing ponderous, meandering rubbish that goes absolutely nowhere with no high points whatsoever. All of these guys have become self serving and have forgotten how to entertain. But Jamie jones wins the award for the crowd he brings along.

Last edited by a moderator:
you want more honest feedback? right, our braveheart (aimee, our scottish staff writer) went to hyte last night. both rooms no more than half full I'm told.

That's quite good for HYTE early(ish) season isn't it? We always use the same comparison to 2013. But does it feel a bit 2013 to you? i.e. too many nights, and just not enough real clubbers around?

That's quite good for HYTE early(ish) season isn't it? We always use the same comparison to 2013. But does it feel a bit 2013 to you? i.e. too many nights, and just not enough real clubbers around?

I disagree. in season 3 that's most definitely not 'quite good'.
but it just proves the point I made last night re amnesia having 4 similar nights and, IMHO, one too many.

I disagree. in season 3 that's most definitely not 'quite good'.
but it just proves the point I made last night re amnesia having 4 similar nights and, IMHO, one too many.

honestly don't see the point in Hyte. it's catering to a market that doesn't really exist in Ibiza. Personally, I think the line-ups are slightly better than Elrow (which are mostly extremely average), but that is always gonna bring people in due to the perceived atmosphere.

I think people are hitting the ecstasy pipes and triple sod from early morning and are to fckd to even care who or whats on..:) that the impression I got last visit..

Back