*** Ibiza 2017 observations ***

How busy is the island in earlier September? Looking at booking for next year and either doing 11 nights from 1st September or 15th September. I'm going to probably be with just my girlfriend so want the weather to still be quite nice but worried all the clubs will be to busy is we go on the 1st!

@stivi what is going on at cocoon then?

wanted to reply to this earlier but just didn't get the time yet.

it's a bit of a weird one really - not only cocoon is affected, but some nights have indeed been suffering a bit with numbers from right after the opening until now. up to a certain extent it's the typical dip in june - no news there, but this year I believe there's more to this:

- generally, the island right now is already really busy, but I do feel there are less 'real' clubbers here currently. same as last year already, we've got lots of families, couples etc that would go elsewhere (turkey, tunisia, egypt) if those zones would be considered safe. but as they're not really, the balearics get people that normally wouldn't end up here. but it doesn't stop there. I feel there are more 'posh' people around (not surprised) and generally youngsters that aren't clubbers per se. those people will certainly end up at clubs at some point - but they will either go to the mainstream events or then, if we're talking 'underground', they'll go to the trendy nights. cocoon is neither mainstream nor trendy. hell, even circoloco, which has legendary status as a club night, is getting busy very late nowadays and the fact that circoloco now stays open until 5:30am every week and has the headliners on very late obviously doesn't help cocoon. understandably less people do the combo as when dc10 shut at 1am (years ago) or 3am (I think that was the case until 2015ish).

- amnesia now has 4 tech-orientated nights. elrow which has already surpassed music on (!!!), then music on (which is still huge). so lots of people want to go to either music on or elrow. and then the other two, cocoon and hyte, suffer a bit because of that. hyte only just really kicked off last week, but it also wasn't very busy at all.

- all that said, let's keep in mind the proper season only starts now really. the last events at ushuaïa only kicked off in the last few days and coxy and then resistance only start next week - all those guys are simply playing it safe. again in the case of cocoon I'm sure that the next weeks will get busier and busier.

Do you think finances have anything to do with some nights being quieter? Hotels seem to have increased in price again this year and some club tickets have increased dramatically. Couple that with the almost 20% fall in the value of the pound and things are considerably more costly for us Brits. Maybe people are finding the funds to make it over but when they arrive they have less disposable income so are choosing the club nights carefully rather than going to 6 nights in a week. I'd be interested to hear thoughts on this from someone who's already been on the island this year.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Gone from €1.40 - £1, 2 years ago to nearly €1.10
I'm paid reasonably well but feel the pinch. They young whipper-snappers must be struggling. Perhaps 1 "superclub" night and the rest on the west end:?:

Do you think finances have anything to do with some nights being quieter? Hotels seem to have increased in price again this year and some club tickets have increased dramatically. Couple that with the almost 20% fall in the value of the pound and things are considerably more costly for us Brits. Maybe people are finding the funds to make it over but when they arrive they have less disposable income so are choosing the club nights carefully rather than going to 6 nights in a week. I'd be interested to hear thoughts on this from someone who's already been on the island this year.

yes certainly. I didn't point this out specificially, but it's totally a point too. one the pound and two the fact trips to ibiza just get more and more expensive every year for most people (it's a plain fact). some of the young clubbers will do croatia instead, we spoke about that last year already. also the average stay has become much shorter. it used to be 7-10 days 10 years ago, now it's more like 4-6 days.

wanted to reply to this earlier but just didn't get the time yet.

it's a bit of a weird one really - not only cocoon is affected, but some nights have indeed been suffering a bit with numbers from right after the opening until now. up to a certain extent it's the typical dip in june - no news there, but this year I believe there's more to this:

- generally, the island right now is already really busy, but I do feel there are less 'real' clubbers here currently. same as last year already, we've got lots of families, couples etc that would go elsewhere (turkey, tunisia, egypt) if those zones would be considered safe. but as they're not really, the balearics get people that normally wouldn't end up here. but it doesn't stop there. I feel there are more 'posh' people around (not surprised) and generally youngsters that aren't clubbers per se. those people will certainly end up at clubs at some point - but they will either go to the mainstream events or then, if we're talking 'underground', they'll go to the trendy nights. cocoon is neither mainstream nor trendy. hell, even circoloco, which has legendary status as a club night, is getting busy very late nowadays and the fact that circoloco now stays open until 5:30am every week and has the headliners on very late obviously doesn't help cocoon. understandably less people do the combo as when dc10 shut at 1am (years ago) or 3am (I think that was the case until 2015ish).

- amnesia now has 4 tech-orientated nights. elrow which has already surpassed music on (!!!), then music on (which is still huge). so lots of people want to go to either music on or elrow. and then the other two, cocoon and hyte, suffer a bit because of that. hyte only just really kicked off last week, but it also wasn't very busy at all.

- all that said, let's keep in mind the proper season only starts now really. the last events at ushuaïa only kicked off in the last few days and coxy and then resistance only start next week - all those guys are simply playing it safe. again in the case of cocoon I'm sure that the next weeks will get busier and busier.
Thanks, @stivi , interesting as always. Do you think the cocoon brand has got tired or that they have have taken things for granted in terms of decor, promotion, etc? This would appear to be at odds with their bookings and door charge.

I'm very mindful cocoon have been here before, took a dip and then remarkably recovered, something very unusual in Ibiza. It's early doors but I wonder if they can reverse the trend this time.

Thanks, @stivi , interesting as always. Do you think the cocoon brand has got tired or that they have have taken things for granted in terms of decor, promotion, etc? This would appear to be at odds with their bookings and door charge.

I'm very mindful cocoon have been here before, took a dip and then remarkably recovered, something very unusual in Ibiza. It's early doors but I wonder if they can reverse the trend this time.

as @elmooreo says, IMO 'real' clubbers couldn't care less about decor...

no, ever since cocoon fell from the techno throne when all their residents (luciano, carola...) left years ago, they don't take anything for granted. they do promote their events, they do care about the islanders etc. see, even music on hasn't been rammed to the rafters for a few weeks in june (especially the main room). and music on does not have a competitor at dc10 starting late afternoon and going on until nearly 6am (they do when the disclosure residency starts, but this is peak season and 4 weeks only so not comparable). I do think that is what's making the main difference for cocoon at the start of the season.

oh...and to add, as cocoon have been through tough times before - yes I do think they'll be alright in the end. if of those 4 tech nights at amnesia one is going to disappear, it won't be cocoon I don't think.

Tickets for Cocoon were 50euro on the streets 2weeks ago when I was there, I always thought they were around 40 so I was a bit surprised to see this, especially now that I hear it's been very quiet

Tickets for Cocoon were 50euro on the streets 2weeks ago when I was there, I always thought they were around 40 so I was a bit surprised to see this, especially now that I hear it's been very quiet

they went up to 50€ just a while ago yeah, they used to be 40€. maybe that was not the right decision indeed, but I believe that's not only cocoon's decision, but mainly the club's.

Elrow now being at amnesia is also definitely a big factor

absolutely yeah. and that's something we all knew beforehand. it's a game changer for other nights at the same club as well as other club nights happening on saturday night. pure pacha - normally always packed - has been not much more than 'nicely busy' in past weeks. again I believe this is gonna change to 'very busy' soon, maybe as soon as this saturday, but yeah, june was a tough one for lots of promoters.

More importantly did anyone observe the band Warpaint on the island? They've been spending a few days chilling before some Spanish gigs..
e333d29e9c332b25f3aede935180b0ee.jpg

How busy is the island in earlier September? Looking at booking for next year and either doing 11 nights from 1st September or 15th September. I'm going to probably be with just my girlfriend so want the weather to still be quite nice but worried all the clubs will be to busy is we go on the 1st!

IMO this is a really nice time to go. clubs busy but most of them not packed - but in my experience busier than in late june.
as you may have heard/read before, the weather is sometimes not stable at that time of the year. if you're lucky you'll have sun, sun and more sun, but you absolutely might get some rainy days in that period. impossible to forecast it really, but some time between mid august and late september, we always get a few rainy days.

Seems to me the big names these days are Jamie jones, Seth troxler and the Martinez brothers. Maybe not big names to posters on these forums but big to the younger crowd who aren't clubbers that stivi mentioned. Stick any of those 3 on a line up and I think you will have a busy night

Back