Has this place got more lively recently?

I couldn't agree less with the "Hey day" theory.

Unless you're one of those people who has got to be told what to enjoy and led to your entertainment like a blind three legged horse with a club foot being dragged across a desert towards a puddle of stale piss in the hope of getting some refreshment when all along you've got a cold bottle of lucozade in your saddle bags but didn't have the sense to look for it.

We all have our own opinions, we share them, thats the point of the forum.

The Ibiza I go to, the super club side of it, is very different from what it was 10 - 15 years ago, but I'm just repeating myself, as I said earlier.

I like what I like, and amusingly, most of you seem to think I should be told what to enjoy, to conform to your like of house and techno and ignore my personal favorite genre. That's what it continually feels like by posting here. Ok, Trance isn't the same genre it was 15 years ago, but things change, people move on. I do like this new genre. In fact, I love it. It's what makes my days go easier, listening to thumping beats and melodic rhythms, and amazing break downs for those hands in the air moments, knowing that everyone else around you is feeling exactly the same.

I do enjoy other genres of EDM, but they aren't my first choice for a night out, and I don't think they ever will be. I try to keep an open mind, however, so who knows?

I'm open to trying new places, seeing new people. That's why I go to festivals like Creamfields and Global. Theres something I can really get in to, like Above & Beyond, and Ferry Corsten. And theres something I can try out, like Carl Cox, Funkagenda and John Digweed and Mark Knight to name a few, and why I go to club nights like Halycon. Then from those guys, I try and find the smaller guys who songs they played. So filter down from the bigger guys to the smaller ones.
Creamfields in 09 got me listening to new DJs I'd never tried before, as did 2010.

But festivals suffer the same as the Ibizan super clubs. It's all about the branding. These guys in the top 100 aren't the top DJs (Well, except for Eddie Halliwell, maybe).
They are the top brands, with the most followers. They sell out the Ibizan clubs. Not the small little guy who has only had a gig in room two of some underground club in the middle of no where.
If I want to see the top DJs, I'd go and see someone like C2C or other proper turntabilists. Tiesto, for example, is number 3. Can he mix for ****? No. He's been awful the last three time's i've seen him at festivals and in Privilege. (Why I let myself get dragged to see him, I don't know).

Ibiza has started a new chapter. Gone are the wild parties of the nineties. That part, the chaotic, open air all day raves are gone. That part of it's hay day is over. That was the old Super Clubs in Ibiza

But something new has started, something interesting, different in it's clubbing world.
The smaller venues are the future of the island. Which is good. It means I may have luck seeing smaller DJs and I don't have to pay €40 to enter in.

The island itself hasn't changed. It's clubbing land scape has. And quite possibly, for the better.

I think I waffled...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ikoda can you recommend any of the smaller venues in Ibiza?? We only do small clubs in Bristol and I love it and would love to get involved in Ibiza

Music wise i like a lot electro, tech house, progressive and what i describe as house music which i know in alot of peoples minds covers alot but to me I mean bit more vocally uplifting stuff junior jack/kid creme, axwell type stuff!! Any recommendations greatly appreciated

Ikoda can you recommend any of the smaller venues in Ibiza?? We only do small clubs in Bristol and I love it and would love to get involved in Ibiza

Where do you tend to go in Bristol? I'm from Bristol myself.

I think, for the smaller venues, PDB and their beach parties are the way forward.
I imagine the spotlight folk have a better idea than me, I only know the super clubs, as thats the only places my friends ever want to go. :confused:

Most of that won't get played in the West End

Ibiza has started a new chapter. Gone are the wild parties of the nineties. That part, the chaotic, open air all day raves are gone. That part of it's hay day is over. That was the old Super Clubs in Ibiza

I agree that part of it is gone, but the rest is still there. 4am peak time set at amnesia is still the same now as it was 10 years ago.

Do you think people at the time are thinking "oh its now all branded so its not as good as it was 10yrs ago"

Its best to take each night on its own merit and have the time of your life because the chances are you're probably having a better time there than any other club you've been to.

I agree with you about Tiesto by the way.

ikoda - you're so wrong it's hardly worth the debate, but i'll pick up on one of your points. "10 years ago the big djs weren't big, they were just starting out. "

total rubbish.

the biggest nights had sasha, tenaglia, carl cox, morillo, paul van dyk, etc, etc.....they were the biggest names on the scene then and truly established.

also, i think the key thing you mention is that you are basing your argument on "your impression/perception" of it.

so basically, you don't really know!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like what I like, and amusingly, most of you seem to think I should be told what to enjoy, to conform to your like of house and techno and ignore my personal favorite genre. That's what it continually feels like by posting here.

a/ why are you so hung up on genres all the time? it makes you come across as a bit narrow-minded and well ever so slightly boring

b/ not one person on this forum has ever told you what to listen to. People might find your obsessiveness slightly tiresome but nobody forces you to do anything. It's a free messageboard not the fcking Burma Railway.

Fair point, Olly.

I'm so hung up on the genres, because every time I mention liking my own, everyone else feels the need to shoot it down.

Lush, where abouts in Bristol??

In Bristol mainly T2 and Dojos and then occasionally Thekla for Fruity or Play, there is also Warehouse but they dont seem to hold many good nights. Dojos is my fav though, loads of good nights there revolution, just jack empathy.....Love it!!

I have been told about loads of stuff I have missed out on since laws and licensing has changed on Ibiza and gutted I didnt try it earlier in my life BUT that being said it is my favourite place in the world I love it and cant wait to go back this year!

Lush, where abouts in Bristol??

In Bristol mainly T2 and Dojos and then occasionally Thekla for Fruity or Play, there is also Warehouse but they dont seem to hold many good nights. Dojos is my fav though, loads of good nights there revolution, just jack empathy.....Love it!!

I have been told about loads of stuff I have missed out on since laws and licensing has changed on Ibiza and gutted I didnt try it earlier in my life BUT that being said it is my favourite place in the world I love it and cant wait to go back this year!

Used to like Syndicate, before they replaced their session Saturdays with hanky panky student nights. Oh, and paying to get in to both Room 1 and 2. Not going back there again (Hardly a loss, tbh). Want to head up to Lakota at some point for a Tribe of the Frog night.

I'm looking forward to this holiday more than any of the others. Going to do everything I haven't yet done (Space, the beach parties, etc, etc).

Ben aka Ikoda i am seriously considering not meeting up with you now...

I hope you dont bore me with long stories about what you like a dont like or il throw you in the sea :D

p.s - see you at amnesia on the thursday 8)

Back