Glastonbury 09

...and anything else in between.

Glastonbury is really underground too - lots of stuff like Eat Static from my west country free party days. 8)

Loads of early house, acid and rave too...which was fantastic (the 'official' dance village is pretty rubbish tbh) as everyone knows any house produced before 93 was faaaaaaar faaaaaaar superior. :twisted:

Rodber,
Q for you. Was Moby any good at Meltdown?

I am going to Wakestock a week on Friday and he is headlining on one of the nights.

...and anything else in between.

Glastonbury is really underground too - lots of stuff like Eat Static from my west country free party days. 8)

Loads of early house, acid and rave too...which was fantastic (the 'official' dance village is pretty rubbish tbh) as everyone knows any house produced before 93 was faaaaaaar faaaaaaar superior. :twisted:

word ^^^

are eatstatic still going - or simply on the festie circuit ? they visited my uni for a gig - them and all the spiral tribe/megadog lot - sheep on drugs and loop guru I think and all those guys - proper crustie central!

the only music I still return to from that sphere is dreadzone - second light - big Peel record, although a lot of people hated them!

Rodber,
Q for you. Was Moby any good at Meltdown?

I am going to Wakestock a week on Friday and he is headlining on one of the nights.

Yeah was pretty good! Not much of a Moby fan here but he's charming on stage and performed 'Go' and had a brilliant ballsy afro diva alongside him.

You'll definitely enjoy it lots. 8)

word ^^^

are eatstatic still going - or simply on the festie circuit ? they visited my uni for a gig - them and all the spiral tribe/megadog lot - sheep on drugs and loop guru I think and all those guys - proper crustie central!

the only music I still return to from that sphere is dreadzone - second light - big Peel record, although a lot of people hated them!

http://outoftheordinaryfestival.com/chakra-arenas/throat/ootopia/ ;)

See you there?

.The only thing I enjoyed watching was Pendulum. How amazing were they!!

Hell Yeh! These guys bring real life music back to the real deal. If you ain't seen them your missing out.

They played BDO fest here in OZ, there from Perth (local lads). They were on main stage and dropped into a Prodigy remix...Me and a buddy were loving it...Frikking insane... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1P_3LoKwrA not my vid.

To laugh Prodigy didn't get main stage they got the Boiler room (smaller stage)LOL

I see glastonbury they did a metallica remix.:lol:

My Favourite Video from them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqh9N-Mw5E&NR=1

Good old Australian Boys! Go Pendulum Drum n Bass rulers!

that festie in East Sussex might be an option - think I'm going to beachdown as well (had to cancel my croatia trip)

--

re: chicane - ugh
re: norman jay - ok as long as he steers clear of cheese mode - hearing him play out steaming dogturd like "shut up and dance - I'm raving, I'm raving" at Good Times year after year is getting embarrassing...

that festie in East Sussex might be an option - think I'm going to beachdown as well (had to cancel my croatia trip)

--

re: chicane - ugh
re: norman jay - ok as long as he steers clear of cheese mode - hearing him play out steaming dogturd like "shut up and dance - I'm raving, I'm raving" at Good Times year after year is getting embarrassing...

Come on Olly what do you really expect Norman to play? He has made a carer out of playing the cheese and as long as I only see him once a year, normally on a Sunday at the big chill, you would have to be pretty jaded not to enjoy it.

He's usually awesome when he does the BC Sunday session to be fair... 8)

I have no doubt it is his highlight of the year, He really gets me going as on Sunday at the BC all I want to do is ssleep for a bit longer, its the best way to start a Sunday at a festival imo.

My point was you would have to be very Jaded not to throw some shapes and enjoy him for what he is.

my point is there is no need to play the crap funkeee 'ouse. His crowd in the main don't want that - especially the more discerning crowd that goes to the big chill. Last year he was just about ok, but the year before he was playing rubbish like that egg/guetta nonsense and "put your hands up for detroit" :eek: when you're monged on the grass and struggling for meaning - you certainly don't want to be subjected to that!

my point is there is no need to play the crap funkeee 'ouse. His crowd in the main don't want that - especially the more discerning crowd that goes to the big chill. Last year he was just about ok, but the year before he was playing rubbish like that egg/guetta nonsense and "put your hands up for detroit" :eek: when you're monged on the grass and struggling for meaning - you certainly don't want to be subjected to that!

:eek: - REALLY?

Disclaimer - not been since 2002. ;)

In brief:

Highlights:
Mark Thomas at Speakers Corner in the Green Futures
Florence and the Machine at The John Peel Stage
East 17 for the chuckles
Mr Hudson opening The Other Stage
Having my tent pitched before I got there :p. Cheers X-man
The toilet roll incident - launching a toilet roll back at a young chap before realising he was only trying to share as he was going home early. Probably made him cynical and mean from now on but was very funny.
Neville Bartos - the man, the mystery, the legend
Dreadzone in the Dance Village
Beadyman and flute-beat box fella - only caught the end though
The weather - sometimes

Lowlights:
Lady Gaga - an embarassment - constant intersong 'sexy' banter and heavy breathing stunk of desperation. "I love festivals - if I came to this one I'd be topless and doing acid" etc etc "I'm not wearing any knickers", while only getting a response from a few people down the front that clapped and whooped for everything.

Overdoing it and not sleeping Thursday until Sunday morning and consequentially missing the rest of Sunday!

The weather - sometimes.

:eek: - REALLY?

Disclaimer - not been since 2002. ;)

sadly, on this occasion, I sh1t you not...

he did redeem himself by also playing some specials and a barnstorming fave of mine nightwriters - 'let the music use you' but still...

Nah, I don't mind Norm - he's charismatic and a lovely fella and carnival is always fun (esp, on the sunday) I just think there's a time and place for 3-haircut nu-electro... (ie 'not here' and 'never')

In brief:

Highlights:
Mark Thomas at Speakers Corner in the Green Futures
Florence and the Machine at The John Peel Stage
East 17 for the chuckles
Mr Hudson opening The Other Stage
Having my tent pitched before I got there :p. Cheers X-man
The toilet roll incident - launching a toilet roll back at a young chap before realising he was only trying to share as he was going home early. Probably made him cynical and mean from now on but was very funny.
Neville Bartos - the man, the mystery, the legend
Dreadzone in the Dance Village
Beadyman and flute-beat box fella - only caught the end though
The weather - sometimes

Lowlights:
Lady Gaga - an embarassment - constant intersong 'sexy' banter and heavy breathing stunk of desperation. "I love festivals - if I came to this one I'd be topless and doing acid" etc etc "I'm not wearing any knickers", while only getting a response from a few people down the front that clapped and whooped for everything.

Overdoing it and not sleeping Thursday until Sunday morning and consequentially missing the rest of Sunday!

The weather - sometimes.

nice review too - I heard about East 17 :lol:

the new florence & the machine track is awesome

grab off internet here >> http://dilate.choonz.com/index.php?cat=house

One extra lowlight:

On the way into the gay club NYC Lowdown, I got a load of hassle off the queens on the door. Now, I'm not the slightest bit bothered in the world by anyone else's orientation and I can put up with a little bit of the 'snog me to get in' business. However, to go on and on about it and delay me getting in, in a clear and obvious attempt to try and make me feel uncomfortable seems a bit at odds with the general vibe of the whole event. I didn't feel uncomfortable other than with the fact that a stranger wanted me to feel uncomfortable, for the record.

Do these fellas miss the irony in them being intolerant of me because I'm different to them? Do they need to define everyone by sexuality? Couldn't they be happy enough in their own identity to not worry about mine?

It's a bit sad, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ace:8):D8):D

Mark Thomas - Just being Mark Thomas tho I love all that ****

HMD@The NYC Downlow. We got accosted on the way in because we wouldn't kiss the bear (or the tranny, we were given an option!) behind the desk which prompted much hilarity for them as they did their 'tease the straight guys' thing, tho nothing no-ones seen before and I love it in there so had a good sweaty session raving it up. Before we even got to the bar I heard "Now this is how it started, our dreams are broken hearted and I want you..." and everything was so right again and as good as it's always been.

Having the preference on abjectly refusing to spit piss on Blurs grave before Sunday night before witnessing the best, most energetic, singalong (and not having a clue how I knew the words) performance to finish off the main stage. Again, prior to this I just saw them as the Nothern Londonest of North London posh ****s with that **** patronising mockney voice with lyrics that are bettered by anyone half decent, but the did put on a bloody good show and I am officially a convert.

Passing Tom Jones forgetting he was on and staying for all the hits and watching what looked like the intro scene from Gladiators but with fold up chairs and delilah instead of fighting. An old man stripping near the back to Leave Your Hat On was car crash stuff at its best. For about 3,000 people on their feet cheering him on ;)

E17 held out for the hits but had pretty anyone on site between the ages of 22 to 32 in their tent.:D

Florence and the machine, Theoretical girl and the equations, all mildly entertaining No idea who they are and will never hear or see them again though. One of those 'glad i as there' moments :D

Altern8 showing that if done "well", all you need is an updated MC lyric ("Some people think we're bonkers") to update a set that tune wise was probably identical to what they played 30 years ago. Nice work if you can get it!

My new tent. Setting new standards in portable housing.8)8)

Sitting on your back on a piece of grass after hours of ethiopian sun making a crcifix, asthe heavens opened and getting instantly refereshed :D

Seeing so many randoms from all walks of life all weekend.

Toureg F*ckers :)

Cohorts on top form all weekend:D

The ****

Far too much sun. I've said it before and I'll say it again: You know where you are when you're wet and muddy. None of this pissing about considering trainers that **** up at the next muddy corner, just stick your goretex on, wellies (or neoprene muck bots ;) ), and bob's your uncle. I have also got heatstroke and was so dizzy driving home last night I acually pulled into a services and slept though the night lsst night as I genuinely couldn't drive.:confused:

Truly horrific bands on the other stage for the early part of the Sunday. It was next to our tent and we were pretty much self paralysed for a couple of hours, and I can only sum it up by the feeling that "surely it can't get any worse?" just ran through our thoughts for the whole day.

Missing Rolf Harris and fearing a Hillsborough at the Jazz stage!

Telling at least 50 people to **** off, including two texts from back home about MJ! "I take it the phrase "festival rumour" means nothing to you twats?" Only buy Friday morning did we ome round to the idea it wasn't a BBC conspiracy or internet gag!

Reading the guide thing on Monday and realising what you missed.:(

Being reminded that Silent Disco is a really **** idea (Is living on a prayer a mandatory inclusion in every set? I have heard it every time I've been)

Seeing people piss where they shouldnt. Worst one was people pissing on the inside of the tarpauline of the pisser tent bits.

All in all though a truly ace weekend :D:D:D

Back