Glastonbury 09

Ya, see, for my generation, there was the big 4 (MJ, Madonna, Bruce, Prince) before you grew into the big 4 (Cure, Depeche, New Order, Smiths) :lol: I wasn't the biggest Springsteen fan but his songs were part of the soundtrack of life.

Never had the good fortune to see Springsteen live but would love the chance, especially now that the E Street Band is back together. I've seen a bit on TV and they look like they give, as WeLuvIbiza said, 120 percent. He's one of those artists whose performance has yet to degrade over time... something I thought you'd appreciate given your past comments about Prince and MJ!

funnily enough, was having a chat the other day about who is the biggest living name in pop music post-MJ and it is difficult to decide between basing your answer on reputation or current form - on reputation, it would be McCartney hands down, with honourable mentions to Jagger, stevie wonder, prince, madonna, elton john - on current form, it is much harder to pick anyone out - as the younger generation is so much more fragmented and the internet has changed everything. I do wonder if we will ever see global stratospheric superstars again because it seems that record companies can create someone so easily and so instantly to the point where stardom is devalued, the likes of what we grew up with - people who fought their way to fame the hard way - all of that is over...

Very much agree with most of that.

You'd probably have to (grudgingly) throw Mariah Carey onto that list (more US number ones than anyone except the Beatles).

Artists nowadays, aside from being quickly created, appear to have little or no shelf life. They don't grow with their fans over the years. Instead they have a personal meltdown, or the band breaks up, or whatever, and become footnotes in music history instead of creating a lasting legacy of work.

Two good posts there chaps, the conveyor belt production of bands is unlikely to create anything close to the greats of the past imho.

Watched a bit of Glasto online yesterday ... well I only watched Lady Gaga and some of Lily Allen (boring). Lady Gaga looked wicked would love to see her live, and as much as people either love or hate her she is the closest thing to the singers of the 80's who had staying power. My first ever record was Grace Jones 'slave to the rhythm' I bought it myself with my pocket money it was 98p in Woolworths I think I was about 8 or something lol weird I know. I have to agree with you people on the fact that now bands and musicians come and go but in the 80's they seemed to stand the test of time.. I don't think I would wanna see Bruce Springsteen though never liked him .. wouldn't mind a bit of Erasure though they were awesome!

Very much agree with most of that.

You'd probably have to (grudgingly) throw Mariah Carey onto that list (more US number ones than anyone except the Beatles).

Artists nowadays, aside from being quickly created, appear to have little or no shelf life. They don't grow with their fans over the years. Instead they have a personal meltdown, or the band breaks up, or whatever, and become footnotes in music history instead of creating a lasting legacy of work.

Whats with this boyband thing of announcing they'd split up then getting back together again when theyre really past it for theyre genre... why don't they just not say anything in the first place that girl who killed herself because take that split would be turning in her grave.. what a waste of a life lol

Just got back an hour ago - it was a truly amazing weekend.

I'm in no doubt that the Glasto weekend is the best festival of them all. F*ck the 'it's too commercial' nay sayers (it blatantly isn't - where else can you find stuff like trash city, Shangri La and the Green fields? - not to mention some of the horror shows at sunrise by the stone circle.) I've been going since the mid 90s and it's every bit as good as it was then...less thieving scum too as the gatecrasher contingent aren't there taxing everyone's stuff.

I just didn't want it to end...predictably - the downlow stole the show for the second year running. Felix Dickinson and Gideon played acid house sets with tranny MCs rocking the joint, "OH MY GAAAAAAAD, THIS TRANNY NEEDS HOSING DOWN! ACID HOUSE HOUSE HOUSE, TRANNIES ON ACID...SHE'S COMING UP!"

The NYC downlow has been my fave UK club for over a year now - it's such a great concept and works fantastically. We also went to all the lock ins which were equally debauched.

Shangri La was much bigger than last year and really had the wow factor.

As for the bands...what bands? I had a very different Glasto experience this year. Saw Lamb, Peaches, Blur, Pendulum, Prodigy and a few others but there's so much more to do than stand in front of the main stages. The cabaret field for instance...fun fun fun.

Springsteen wasn't that good. I'm sure he's very talented but he kind of slipped off my radar when growing up. I found it a little bit dull.

I'm also completely devastated about MJ...finding out at Glasto was a head trip. Lots of mad chattering going on as you can imagine and the entire site had turned into a tribute for him which was nice. Lots of dance tents blaring out all his classics complete with crazed nutters doing thriller moves - priceless.

I just don't have the words in my vocabulary to express what an amazing weekend it was.

Sad I didn't bump into anyone from here...that's what I get for stalking trannies I guess. :lol:

Great review! I've never been to Glasto but definitely want to go next year now it would be rude not to! What do you think about taking kids though? I know people who have but I'm not sure .. my girls will be aged 15 and 13 next year and I know they would love to go but obviously I am a bit concerned about drugs etc I know that in global its blatant but thought maybe Glasto isn't so as there are kids there

I imagine it's worse than global tbh...everyone is completely trollied. :eek:

...that said, I still think you should take them - it's a good experience for any kid growing up.

I wish my folks had taken me.

I know Felix - throws some LEGENDARY parties in brixton - proper ACID flavas 8)

glad you enjoyed - it does sound lame commenting on music on telly doesn't it! :oops:

I imagine it's worse than global tbh...everyone is completely trollied. :eek:

...that said, I still think you should take them - it's a good experience for any kid growing up.

I wish my folks had taken me.

Lol me too although I can't complain my Dad did take me clubbing in Birmingham when I was 14 and for a deprived valley girl that was some experience lmao. How much are the tickets anyway?

So how many dance tents are there?

Enjoyed bits of it, specially Blur. The pyramid stage seems so big, people to the side or back cant see much surely

Great review there Robder. I totally agree with you. Glastonbury is amazing. I love it just for Trash City, Shangri La and the Stone Circle.

I watched the BBC coverage and as expected it was dire. The only thing I enjoyed watching was Pendulum. How amazing were they!!!

I am going next year for their 40th no matter what! Dolly Parton is playing :lol: and there are rumours that The Rolling Stones are as well :eek:

How many dance tents!?!?

Gosh can't answer that one...

Dance Lounge, Dance East, Dance West, G Stage, Strange creature thingy (?), another white one (?), one by the accoustic stage (?), The Glade (& two seperate sound systems without a name), Discotopia, The Igloo, Countless ones in Shangri La, the Drag Strip, the Pinball, The Arcadia, Rubbish Doll, Croissant Neuf, AND THE DOWNLOW (!!!) 8)

Loads more too if anyone wants to help me...

...and anything else in between.

Glastonbury is really underground too - lots of stuff like Eat Static from my west country free party days. 8)

Loads of early house, acid and rave too...which was fantastic (the 'official' dance village is pretty rubbish tbh) as everyone knows any house produced before 93 was faaaaaaar faaaaaaar superior. :twisted:

If I went to Glasto id never go near the main stages, id just roll about all the little ones and see what i can find!

Back