Glastonbury 09

HMD@The NYC Downlow. We got accosted on the way in because we wouldn't kiss the bear (or the tranny, we were given an option!) behind the desk which prompted much hilarity for them as they did their 'tease the straight guys' thing, tho nothing no-ones seen before

Nah, Dan, don't agree. Seen it a million times but without the determination to try and get a reaction they could criticise. What's the point - let's see if we can breed some intolerance? If you define yourself as different but the average person is completely at ease with you the fun's over?

We got accosted on the way in because we wouldn't kiss the bear (or the tranny, we were given an option!) behind the desk which prompted much hilarity for them as they did their 'tease the straight guys' thing,

Tee hee :lol: I would have loved to have seen this :twisted:

Out of curiosity, who do you think would have ended up with who? Buckers & the Bear? Dan & the tranny? Or vice versa :lol:

Tee hee :lol: I would have loved to have seen this :twisted:

Out of curiosity, who do you think would have ended up with who? Buckers & the Bear? Dan & the tranny? Or vice versa :lol:

I've been the subject of such things plenty of times and found it funny Becki, but these people were a pain. It wasn't like I didn't play along up to a point, until I felt it was malicious. Frankly if you and a mate were on the way into club, you laughed along with a couple of blokes on the door and they wouldn't leave it alone, would you be happy?

I've been the subject of such things plenty of times and found it funny Becki, but these people were a pain. It wasn't like I didn't play along up to a point, until I felt it was malicious. Frankly if you and a mate were on the way into club, you laughed along with a couple of blokes on the door and they wouldn't leave it alone, would you be happy?

Girls get this shizzle all the time! You get used to it :rolleyes: :lol: I can imagine the annoyance if you just wanted to go in, but it is a teensy weensy bit funny imagining you and Dan reasoning with a big hairy bear and a tranny ;)

Probably my sloppy seconds anyway Buckers so it's a good thing you didn't get too attached. :lol:

I'd like to think you had better taste Rob.

I'm off to football training and do other mainly things anyway!:lol:

(If anyone would like to address the point above seriously, I'd appreciate though. Is tolerance a one way street? Is ok for people to try and wind each other up because they are straight/gay/other?)

My money is on Dusty O being the culprit. :p

I didn't have much to prove since I know half of them already and had the good sense to prioritise getting there early to secure entry. I think I snogged Suppositori Whateverhernameis while she was tucking into her chicken and chips though. :lol:

It's all part of the act - some of them just swan around being really nasty to everyone. :confused: :lol: ...for the most part however they're all really sweet.

Gideon who runs the place wouldn't hurt a fly - he's really humble...a big ball of niceness in fact...and he's created what I consider to be the perfect club which I'm very envious of. :confused:

...it's a good shout though because if the place had been overrun with beer monsters it wouldn't have been the downlow. I'm not into the whole heterophobia thing either but it's a great way to weed out all the gays and create something a bit different. :confused:

Girls get this shizzle all the time! You get used to it :rolleyes: :lol: I can imagine the annoyance if you just wanted to go in, but it is a teensy weensy bit funny imagining you and Dan reasoning with a big hairy bear and a tranny ;)

Maybe I was just insulted they thought I was so cheap! They were going to let me off with the £2 entrance fee for a snog:lol:

...it's a good shout though because if the place had been overrun with beer monsters it wouldn't have been the downlow. I'm not into the whole heterophobia thing either but it's a great way to weed out all the gays and create something a bit different. :confused:

Use that excuse for any other form of prejudice and see how it reads Rob?

"I'm not really racist, we were only winding up the blacks to exclude most of them so we could create something different."

I'd like to think you had better taste Rob.

I'm off to football training and do other mainly things anyway!:lol:

(If anyone would like to address the point above seriously, I'd appreciate though. Is tolerance a one way street? Is ok for people to try and wind each other up because they are straight/gay/other?)

Ok ok, on a serious note.... as a ladieee I have had a couple of negative experiences in gay clubs, i.e comments like "what are you doing here this is a gay club" :rolleyes: but it's just one of those things, there are dumb people everywhere, just different forms of ignorance!
If they were truly being malicious just because you two are straight, then of course it's not on, but if like Rob says it was all just part of the act then the best thing you can do is just play along. I do suspect they were there to root out the beer monsters, nobody wants them in any dance arena!

My money is on Dusty O being the culprit. :p

I didn't have much to prove since I know half of them already and had the good sense to prioritise getting there early to secure entry. I think I snogged Suppositori Whateverhernameis while she was tucking into her chicken and chips though. :lol:

It's all part of the act - some of them just swan around being really nasty to everyone. :confused: :lol: ...for the most part however they're all really sweet.

Gideon who runs the place wouldn't hurt a fly - he's really humble...a big ball of niceness in fact...and he's created what I consider to be the perfect club which I'm very envious of. :confused:

In fairness I didn't think it was too malicious, and it was water off a ducks back etc, but I just walked away thinking since when was it 'House' or indeed fun to make people uncomfortable? Just to check the hetero box I'd be just as eager to write to the Daily Mail if they had asked you to grab some girls boobs or whatever.

I'm down ( ;) ) with all the bitchy and gay stuff and love the atmosphere it creates (and do indeed feel like a bit of a fraud in there ;) it's normally too much fun though). I'm sure they meant nothing by it but I think maybe they caught us at different stages of the night.

To change the subject, please tell me I'd look a twat with a Vogue/Vogue/Poppers/Vogue t-shirt? Every time I see it my mind starts to wander as to if it woud be acceptable? I love it too much :rolleyes::cry::D

Yes - get one! But in line after me please. ;)

Sh!t they clearly really offended you Buckley...if that's the case then put it down to the messed up life of a drag queen and let them have their moment.

Most of them do have pretty colourful histories after all. :eek:

Beckiboo;AMENDED BY BUCKLEY said:
If they were truly being malicious just because you two are black, then of course it's not on, but if like Rob says it was all just part of the act then the best thing you can do is just play along. I do suspect they were there to root out the blacks because of assumptions about their behaviour, nobody wants them in any dance arena!

Amended to see if it's accepted if you change the social group being targeted.

Racists, homphobes, hetrophobes - what's the difference?

In fairness I didn't think it was too malicious, and it was water off a ducks back etc,

You missed it then Dan, simple as that, it was a long day and night. Water off a duck's back to me a million times as well, if the general situation bothered me rather than the specifics, I wouldn't have been there.

The camper van broke down 30 miles down the road which wasn't the best start

However

Puppini Sisters were an awesome start. Close vocal harmonies and vintage dresses
Lilly Allen, despite her terrible songs and sneery, weedy voice put on a great show
Spinal Tap: "without Michael Jackson, there would have been no Spinal Tap
Lady Gaga, was just embarrassing, terrible joke
Madness, the most brilliant sunday afternoon party. Huge Fun
Blur were just awesome

That's all I saw on the main stages

Just wandering round seeing so much brilliant music all weekend, little folk bands, ska bands, reggae bands, loads of beatboxing.
Eating nice food, meeting cool folks
Saw some great cabaret and circus too

I didn't visit the mainstream dance village once! but spent most nights at Trash City (awesome fire breathing monsters and gay discos) and Shangri La (melons well and truly twisted plus some burlesque).

(the toilet roll incident was ace)

Amended to see if it's accepted if you change the social group being targeted.

Racists, homphobes, hetrophobes - what's the difference?

There's a significant difference in targeting someone because of their colour, and targeing an unwanted, anti-social bunch of people (i.e lager louts) who have the potential to ruin everybody's night. One's racism and one's common sense!

There's a significant difference in targeting someone because of their colour, and targeing an unwanted, anti-social bunch of people (i.e lager louts) who have the potential to ruin everybody's night. One's racism and one's common sense!

Both involve prejudice based on appearance, both assume that people who look vaguely similar are homogenous group bound by identical behaviour patterns and characteristics.

I shall assume that all 'the gays'* are ignorant, rude tossers likely to project their insecurities regarding their sexuality onto strangers then?

*that nice Robder aside of course, he's obviously the exception that proves the rule:p

Yes - Becks is right - they have to go all out to make sure it's a friendly crowd with no riotous beery types...but Buckers has a point too.

Some of these bitchy sharp tongued gayers can be really malicious and catty at times. It's painful to watch and I can see exactly what he's referring to.

Back