Films....

Yes very entertaining.I loved all the 1 2 3 4 left turn 6 7 8 dogs barking 10 11 music 13 right turn ect..:lol:

Les Mis tonight. I'll post thoughts tomorrow.

Will be steering clear of Django. If my personal loathing for Tarantino wasn't enough, the inclusion of Di Caprio sealed the deal for me. Think Jamie Foxx is an incredible talented chap all round, but not enough to warrant me taking a chance.

Kinda enjoyed Les Miserables. I didn't think much of the story - but that's hardly the film makers fault. However, the set-pieces, all the performances and the production were all top drawer. Was enough to keep my attention for the full 2-odd hours. Another great performance from Helena Bonham Carter who I really feel is an infinitely better actress when she isn't under her husband's direction. And also, I'm a lil bit in love with Samantha Barks :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
Les Mis isn't coming out here for another couple of weeks, unfortunately. Really looking forward to it.

Saw Django Unchained on Friday. Absolutely loved it. Great performances all around (especially Waltz) and a fun ride from start to finish.

Saw Django Unchained on Friday. Absolutely loved it. Great performances all around (especially Waltz) and a fun ride from start to finish.
Yeah, really enjoyed it. As you say Waltz was particularly great, and I think it lost something in the latter part when her didn't feature as much (spolier avoided!). Spike Lee seems to be trying to get some publicity with his complaints about 'N' word usage. QT has said he could understand it if the complaint was he had shown it used more than it was in the era he's recreating, but not just for it's use.

Also watched Judge Dredd at the weekend and thought it was good. Visually amazing in places, though the story drags when they re-enter the block after they've blasted out.

Mega-Piranha recorded from the ScyFy (as it's now spelt???) channel - as bad as it sounds. Unsure whether to bother with the also recorded 'Two-Headed Shark' as a result:lol:

This weekend also featured 'Double Jeopardy' - could have been a Columbo or Murder She Wrote plot, but watchable on a snowy afternoon. Last night started on a rewatch of Saving Private Ryan (other half tonight).

Spike Lee seems to be trying to get some publicity with his complaints about 'N' word usage. QT has said he could understand it if the complaint was he had shown it used more than it was in the era he's recreating, but not just for it's use.
The N-word usage didn't bother me one bit. Seemed appropriate to the time and not at all gratuitous. Really not sure why people had to make a big deal about it!

Not sure if its already been mentioned but saw The Hobbit couple weeks ago. Visually pretty stunning (the cg hedgehog although its hardly in it really impressed me) , storywise its abit dragged out to be honest.I think they have added a few storylines just to pad it out and so they can make more of certain characters. The 3d separation got annoying , whilst they didnt do lots of things flying out the screen too much they did separate loads of shots which didnt need to be and it just did my head in after a while. The Higher Frame Rate thing is a personal choice if you like it or not. It makes action scenes feel more 'real' , like a news broadcast rather than 'filmy'. I didnt think it added anything other than being something i hadnt seen before.
Its a pretty standard 'peter jackson epic' , lots of helicopter shots showing them running over rocks and hills. Basically just like LOTR except not quite as new n exciting but with better vfx. I suppose its better to watch in cinema than dvd or something and as there is 3 of them will be pretty hard to escape not seeing them at some point. Id give it 7/10

CBA with LOTR etc at all. I may be unfairly assuming I'd have to sit next some acne-faced Dungeons and Dragons enthusiast though!:lol:

Not a film, but a fantastic tv series --- Love/Hate (RTE Ireland)

On the recommendation of a few friends in Ireland, I downloaded series 1 - 3 ... 16 episodes. A very gritty & true to life (little ott) crime/gang series based in the north side of Dublin. Cocaine dealers, smack heads, IRA volunteers & gypos all going bat sh*t mental within a twisted winding plot. Some seriously likeable characters including Nidge who fluctuates from comedian to mass murderer at the flip of a coin. Ruth Bradley (Grabbers 2012) is in it which makes it all the more watchable. I'm in love:

MV5BMTExMTQ3ODMwNTdeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDY1NTkyNTc@._V1._SX214_CR0,0,214,314_.jpg

The whole series is available to stream from the likes of hulu ... be prepared to become quickly addicted & waste 16 hours ... :D

Not sure if its already been mentioned but saw The Hobbit couple weeks ago. Visually pretty stunning (the cg hedgehog although its hardly in it really impressed me) , storywise its abit dragged out to be honest.I think they have added a few storylines just to pad it out and so they can make more of certain characters. The 3d separation got annoying , whilst they didnt do lots of things flying out the screen too much they did separate loads of shots which didnt need to be and it just did my head in after a while. The Higher Frame Rate thing is a personal choice if you like it or not. It makes action scenes feel more 'real' , like a news broadcast rather than 'filmy'. I didnt think it added anything other than being something i hadnt seen before.
Its a pretty standard 'peter jackson epic' , lots of helicopter shots showing them running over rocks and hills. Basically just like LOTR except not quite as new n exciting but with better vfx. I suppose its better to watch in cinema than dvd or something and as there is 3 of them will be pretty hard to escape not seeing them at some point. Id give it 7/10

I went to see The Hobbit (out of sheer boredom having never seen Lord of the Rings) and I must say I didn't want it to end! In fact, when it did end I was quite shocked as I thought we were only about 90 minutes in. I thought the story was amazing and the only part I felt that dragged a little was at the beginning when the dwarves were coming to Bilbo's house; I was thinking when is something exciting going to happen at this point. Other than that I was gripped, and I have been inspired to watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy which I cannot believe I've never seen! I am pretty annoyed at the fact that we must wait until December for the second installation of The Hobbit series and if I had money to waste I'd go to the cinema and watch it again. The 3D was the best I've seen in any film and had me jumping out of my skin at certain points. I would definitely give 10/10!

Watched The Impossible a few days - definately worth a watch, bit far fetched but we all love that kinda stuff deep down lol.
Makes a film all the more interesting when you know its based on a true story and an actual world event.

Yeah my gf loved it , said she would watch it again whereas I wasnt too hot on it so horses for courses I guess
(the hobbit i mean)

Yeah my gf loved it , said she would watch it again whereas I wasnt too hot on it so horses for courses I guess
(the hobbit i mean)
You must be the first person I've spoken to that didn't like it if I'm honest. after watching it I thought it would just be standard that everyone should love it :) I didn't think I would like it though. I thought it would be a very Harry potter type kids movie. I could never watch Impossible. I have a phobia of tidal waves!

Not a film, but a fantastic tv series --- Love/Hate (RTE Ireland)

On the recommendation of a few friends in Ireland, I downloaded series 1 - 3 ... 16 episodes. A very gritty & true to life (little ott) crime/gang series based in the north side of Dublin. Cocaine dealers, smack heads, IRA volunteers & gypos all going bat sh*t mental within a twisted winding plot. Some seriously likeable characters including Nidge who fluctuates from comedian to mass murderer at the flip of a coin. Ruth Bradley (Grabbers 2012) is in it which makes it all the more watchable. I'm in love:

MV5BMTExMTQ3ODMwNTdeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDY1NTkyNTc@._V1._SX214_CR0,0,214,314_.jpg

The whole series is available to stream from the likes of hulu ... be prepared to become quickly addicted & waste 16 hours ... :D

Watched the last 3 episodes last night ... now having withdrawal symptoms. New series being filmed soon ... 8)

Back