European Festivals

Every day when I turn on my socials there seems to be another independent festival cancelling their 2024 edition 😔 All pointing to spiralling cost, I guess the Djs are locked in at a certaon price, so what are the costs that are getting away from them?

Security
Fencing
Toilets
Materials for builds
Same is happening in the Netherlands, all due to 'rising production costs' or 'increased security measures that would be too cost heavy'.
That last one might be a specific Netherlands / Amsterdam issue, since the investigation after the Solid Grooves stabbing pointed out there were a few hundred people inside the venue without ticket (climbed fences, bribed security, shady guestlists).

Same is happening in the Netherlands, all due to 'rising production costs' or 'increased security measures that would be too cost heavy'.
That last one might be a specific Netherlands / Amsterdam issue, since the investigation after the Solid Grooves stabbing pointed out there were a few hundred people inside the venue without ticket (climbed fences, bribed security, shady guestlists).
Lots of the festivals I see are not where you'd expect major trouble, maybe fence jumpers/door rushing has increased but from the outside i can't see that being the reason. I have seen security chasing teenages about but thats not new. Increased wage/quotes from security firms and licensing authorities demanding more numbers possibly.

It is sad either way, as most of the ones I see are not commercial money-driven outfits but collections of party people who've grown from small (often illegal) raves to festivals.

Relived to see our local festival, Beat-herder going ahead after winning 'Festival of the North' in April 😅

Every day when I turn on my socials there seems to be another independent festival cancelling their 2024 edition 😔 All pointing to spiralling cost, I guess the Djs are locked in at a certaon price, so what are the costs that are getting away from them?

Security
Fencing
Toilets
Materials for builds

Completely different genre but Girls Aloud are getting stick for last minute 50% off tickets to their arena tour when people have paid full price. Feels like a bubble bursting for these £100 a seat, £10 a drink events...the public's thin finances will only stretch so far

Melt festival will not continue after its 2024 edition due to the change in the economic landscape. Wowza

Went to 909 on sunday. Great day, sunny in the afternoon but got chilly in the evening, typical Dutch festival weather but no rain luckily.
As always perfectly organized by Loveland, hope they can stay in this location (Amsterdam forest) since the Amsterdam mayor is pushing a lot of festivals out of the city. Was quite surprised by Anfisa Letyago, strong set and got the crowd moving. Closed the day with 3 hours of Maceo...havent seen him for a while but it kinda annoyed me he is always playing his own 'hits' in the set and so it feels like his sets havent really changed in a year or two. Can't wait for Loveland weekender with a way more diverse line up, 909 festival is their "techno spinoff" so to say.

Back