Dance Music: Where are things at?

Made my first appearance in Vegas this weekend and saw Dillon Francis at XS and Steve Aoki at Hakassan.

Wont comment on the music as you know what you are getting with these two, it would be like seeing Adele and complaining she sang ballads :)

But the clubs were a worrying sign for the future if this VIP trend spreads further, no hope of getting anywhere near the action as everything was blocked off with VIP ropes.

The VIP's as is often the case mostly looked bored and stood videoing themselves. There were endless sparklers going off for birthday announcements...

Would have loved to have dropped a load of the crowd into a proper filthy warehouse rave and show em how it's done!
I’ve been vegas for over 10 years and it’s always been like that. Same as Miami. Thankfully we don’t tend to follow American influences with our clubs or music

Vinyl is literally out of the picture in latest retrospective. Pioneer with possibly their biggest season yet, making bitches out of superstar dj's with their glossy pinball machines. It's absurd CDJ's, or any digital controller with jogwheels for that matter, are still a thing anno 2022. Luckily they do things differently in San Raf.

IMG-20221028-WA0002.jpg

Eyeballing that rotary mixer 👀

Just a general musing but I can’t get my head around the whole videographer thing. Seeing Jamie Jones walking around Central Park with his videographer without looking at the camera or saying anything just for social media is a bit bizarre. Not just him and I underhand he’s a nice bloke but the whole concept just seems strange

Just a general musing but I can’t get my head around the whole videographer thing. Seeing Jamie Jones walking around Central Park with his videographer without looking at the camera or saying anything just for social media is a bit bizarre. Not just him and I underhand he’s a nice bloke but the whole concept just seems strange
They will all need their own Luca Dea soon, that lad cant be everywhere, but he tries...

This season I've seen relatively 'new / beginning' dj's with 3 different videographers around them in the dj booth, professional camera's, phones etc. 😵‍💫

I kind of get when DJing as that is their job and at least it’s interesting. It’s the walking around airports / cities and ignoring the camera completely I find really weird.

If I could be bothered I’d set up a Meme page of ‘DJs doing ordinary things’ or something

I kind of get when DJing as that is their job and at least it’s interesting. It’s the walking around airports / cities and ignoring the camera completely I find really weird.

If I could be bothered I’d set up a Meme page of ‘DJs doing ordinary things’ or something

Nah, they are always DJing, even when they're not:

another necessary Harold Heath read for anyone working in radio @Marts73 @Clara and others

It is a sad sign of the times. We are lucky as we use Win Amp which allows us to broadcast from home. All you need is a decent internet connection, a laptop and good quality music. Most of us have a monthly direct debit of maybe £5 which goes towards PRS and any parties we put on. No one makes any money. But it works. Our show is in it’s tenth year this year.
And if anyone fancies having a go, give me a shout.

It is a sad sign of the times. We are lucky as we use Win Amp which allows us to broadcast from home. All you need is a decent internet connection, a laptop and good quality music. Most of us have a monthly direct debit of maybe £5 which goes towards PRS and any parties we put on. No one makes any money. But it works. Our show is in it’s tenth year this year.
And if anyone fancies having a go, give me a shout.
I should’ve kept quiet. We’ve just been told after our fundraiser on the 3rd and 4th of December the station is taking a break. It sounds like it’s for personal reasons and we maybe doing one offs but it’s still sad. Friendships made, families created and all that. So our last show will be next Sunday. Meeting up with my mate for a pint in the week to discuss where we go next.

I should’ve kept quiet. We’ve just been told after our fundraiser on the 3rd and 4th of December the station is taking a break. It sounds like it’s for personal reasons and we maybe doing one offs but it’s still sad. Friendships made, families created and all that. So our last show will be next Sunday. Meeting up with my mate for a pint in the week to discuss where we go next.

nooo, sorry to hear that. Maybe do a few Mixcloud or Spotify shows and see how it goes? MusicBox might be worth a shout if you want to use a studio setup. You'd have to travel into Farringdon though.

nooo, sorry to hear that. Maybe do a few Mixcloud or Spotify shows and see how it goes? MusicBox might be worth a shout if you want to use a studio setup. You'd have to travel into Farringdon though.
Cheers, pal. Mixcloud Live, podcasts, another station. All possibilities to be talked out over beers and laughs. Thing is it’s the live thing we enjoy and us reacting to an audience which is the fun bit. Podcasts are totally alien to us. Farringdon isn’t too far away from us. 🤔

So a clubber (probably of a gay/freak persuasion) goes to Fabric and loses himself in the dance in time-honoured fashion and some townie straight lad films the whole thing just to have a sneer on the socials. I saw Farley was on his case immediately. at a guess some chizzed up hoolie no-mark with no understanding of clubbing at all.

Last edited:
Yeah hope fabric ban the lad, should be easy given the id scan system.

Not sure they will though, as I do recall the sticker thing is more ‘guidance’ than ‘enforced’ certainly didn’t see security staff doing anything those filming / taking photos - but it does help the atmosphere a lot

Last edited:
when I used to go to Fabric it was very much live and let live. You had all sorts in there. yes there were sex pests and moody geezers smoking spliffs on the couches, but there were also a lot of good, up for it people in there, old timers, japanese and italian art kids, gays, rastas, straights, seasoned freaks and lost tourists. I just hope people don't get scared off being different and expressing themselves because that variety is what makes parties such good fun.

I’ve not been loads but would hope this guy is a massive outlier…the few times I’ve been in the last few years the crowd has always been sound. Is this a fuse crowd thing rather than a fabric thing? Never been fuse…

Back