Dance Music: Where are things at?

On a sidenote, I'm surprised a lot of people -including music journalists- refer to Robin S when bringing up Beyonce's latest (s)hit. It's just a 90's synth preset, Korg M1 Organ 2 more specifically. A factory setting indeed

used on a few def mix releases maybe?

either way, music I would happily never hear again

Definitely some truth in this. I know many of gone off some of the Tale Of Us sound, but I absolutely love some of those trance(ish) sounds they bringing into their sets. I don’t think we will end up with big room trance again, but elements definitely morphing back in.

I mean Solomun has Trance Wax as a +1 next week. I mean who knows where his sound will end up in a few years, so could be an interesting B2B.
Yeah when I first tried tale of us a few years ago I found it really dull but it definitely feels like a more uptempo sound at the moment.

I'd never really listened to much adriatique but enjoyed a few of their sets on YouTube from big events this year

It felt like Solomun was the one doing more of that crossover sound but a few others are adding it in as well. I'm all for it.

There seems to be this endless production line now of what I guess you could call 'house pop'. Landfill 4/4 with whimsical filler vocals and reworded familiar lyrics which all sounds like it was knocked together in 5 minutes by some bored Belgian kid on a laptop. All the bars and chiringuitos (the non-Latin ones) seem to love this stuff. I envy people who can just zone out, whereas it does my head in.

The reworks just keep on coming...this week we've had David Guetta reinterpret Eiffel 65's Blue and Elton & Britney redo Tiny Dancer both records in a very radio friendly dancey style. All summer there have also been a lot of grime songs with 00s/early10s samples.

Covers are of course nothing new and dance music is a genre based on sampling but it feels more and more the commercial artists are taking the easy route of reheating an old hit up.

Streaming listeners can take a lot of the blame though people have instant access to more music than ever but seem to retreat into cosy holes of listening to lyrics and hooks they already know. Its chicken or egg if its the record labels feeding them it or record labels just giving them what they want.

The reworks just keep on coming...this week we've had David Guetta reinterpret Eiffel 65's Blue and Elton & Britney redo Tiny Dancer both records in a very radio friendly dancey style. All summer there have also been a lot of grime songs with 00s/early10s samples.

Covers are of course nothing new and dance music is a genre based on sampling but it feels more and more the commercial artists are taking the easy route of reheating an old hit up.

Streaming listeners can take a lot of the blame though people have instant access to more music than ever but seem to retreat into cosy holes of listening to lyrics and hooks they already know. Its chicken or egg if its the record labels feeding them it or record labels just giving them what they want.

There was the whole 'tropical house' thing that was just breathy tropical versions of 80s pop hits the last few summers.

At least that somewhat dried up 😂

But that new Guetta track is bad, even by his recent standards

I’m well beyond moaning about shit music. There’s a whole parallel world of goodness out there if you can be arsed to find it.

Someone who has caught my eye is Anfisa Letyago (I may have spelt that wrong) lately. Her sets seem totally different to the norm from the bits I’ve seen on Instagram. Techno, Trance and into Psy-Trance at the end. Psy-trance isn’t really my thing but it’s good to see someone willing to drop it into a set that I wouldn’t think it would be in - maybe other dj’s are also doing this and I just haven’t caught on to it. I was hoping she was going to be playing in Ibiza at the end of September but sadly not.

Turns out EDM DJs who have crossed over to house / tech house / whatever are bellends.

Waze from Waze & Odyssey was due to DJ after ‘Gordo SZN’ who is EDM Dj ‘Carnage’ - he refused to finish his set and played all night as ‘we know everyone is here to see me any way’ - the last DJ of the night had driven down from Liverpool with a bit of a following to make her main room debut at MoS as well. Both got paid but still….

Turns out EDM DJs who have crossed over to house / tech house / whatever are bellends.

Waze from Waze & Odyssey was due to DJ after ‘Gordo SZN’ who is EDM Dj ‘Carnage’ - he refused to finish his set and played all night as ‘we know everyone is here to see me any way’ - the last DJ of the night had driven down from Liverpool with a bit of a following to make her main room debut at MoS as well. Both got paid but still….
What a massive cnut

any kids reading this, getting into DJing for first time - some home truths here

I had professional DJ lessons about 5 years ago and I naively thought not many other people in my City were into it, I didn't realise the competition to even get a mid week stint in a bar.

For me it was only ever a hobby so after a few stints on barely any pay in bars I gave up and just stuck to playing about in my house. It's seriously hard work if you want anything bigger, and can see how social media showing packed stages with big production is making new DJs get ahead of themselves.

Back