☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hopeful for domestic things going to plan. International things less so than I was few months ago.

If they do happen, they will be fragmented or feel completely different to 2019, which is a shame.

Although something might be pulled out of the bag, you never know. 🤷‍♂️

Domestically the next couple of weeks figures are a key one. People have quite rightly been out meeting up, going to shops, getting a haircut and sat freezing in beer Gardens. So you'd expect an increase in infections, but the scale of the increase will show the impact of vaccines and ultimately if the hospitalisation and death rates remain on a downward trend then we are on track as a nation.

Domestically the next couple of weeks figures are a key one. People have quite rightly been out meeting up, going to shops, getting a haircut and sat freezing in beer Gardens. So you'd expect an increase in infections, but the scale of the increase will show the impact of vaccines and ultimately if the hospitalisation and death rates remain on a downward trend then we are on track as a nation.

To be completely honest out of all that's been allowed non-essential retail indoors is likely to be the biggest contributor to any increase in rates, alongside any meeting up indoors on the quiet ! The kids have been off school and people being kept outside as much as possible so there may not be much of an impact with the borders closed. Indoor socializing at home and indoor mixing in bars and restaurants are probably the riskiest things as far as spreading events are concerned, so the next relaxation is the one I expect to have by far the biggest impact. We'll see !!

To be completely honest out of all that's been allowed non-essential retail indoors is likely to be the biggest contributor to any increase in rates, alongside any meeting up indoors on the quiet ! The kids have been off school and people being kept outside as much as possible so there may not be much of an impact with the borders closed. Indoor socializing at home and indoor mixing in bars and restaurants are probably the riskiest things as far as spreading events are concerned, so the next relaxation is the one I expect to have by far the biggest impact. We'll see !!

There will have been more people inviting friends over to sit in the Garden or to visit a Beer Garden but then getting a bit cold and inviting them into the house and possibly to stay the night because they are too drunk to drive etc though...with any loosening in rules we all take our eye off the ball a bit. I live near a street of Bars and people seem to be behaving though.

Not sure about this, we might not be in a position where the ‘pandemic is over worldwide’ for years, maybe even decades.
The example of Israel shows that vaccination kills the pandemic. Their lockdown ended over a month ago, yet new infection numbers dropped by a factor of 12 in the last 30 days. Wearing of masks outside is no longer required since yesterday.

The pandemic might continue in some backward countries like Russia, where the majority of the population refuses to get vaccinated. But it's of little concern to us.

The example of Israel shows that vaccination kills the pandemic. Their lockdown ended over a month ago, yet new infection numbers dropped by a factor of 12 in the last 30 days. Wearing of masks outside is no longer required since yesterday.

What about Chile though, back in lockdown ? Israel's dominant strain was UK variant which vaccines are very effective against. Chile's wasn't - and also using mainly Chinese vaccine rather than mRNA. With effective vaccines, fast rollout and and a very high coverage there's no doubt they work.

supposedly we can now get vaccinated here. I got a text message, but couldn't find an appointment!

The important thing is though, they can say you've been "offered one" in the media reports 🤣

Keep trying you'll get one - I wound up arranging an appointment for an elderly family friend in France who couldn't get one by going in to her doctilib account with her permission and sitting up one night refreshing the page until I could grab it - for people without their own car over there in rural areas it's really hard. Bound to be a battle when demand far exceeds supply.

Had my first jab Saturday, felt bloody awful Saturday night, woke up at 4am with teeth chattering and then p*ssing with sweat. Then really weird all day yesterday and my arm is still killing today. But glad to have had it! Next one on 6th July...really looking forward to it (gulp)

Sounds like landlord fancies the Brazil approach 😁

"He said the economy had been sacrificed "because old people are dying".

It's fine to have opinion lockdowns are a pain in the ass and have costs too, but to say they are/where unneeded... 🤔

Last edited:
The important thing is though, they can say you've been "offered one" in the media reports 🤣

Keep trying you'll get one - I wound up arranging an appointment for an elderly family friend in France who couldn't get one by going in to her doctilib account with her permission and sitting up one night refreshing the page until I could grab it - for people without their own car over there in rural areas it's really hard. Bound to be a battle when demand far exceeds supply.
I got it. I go tomorrow at 10:00 PST. ;)

just had ours at lunchtime so I look forward to this tonight 😅
I think it depends on which one you have, got mates who had Moderna and no-where near as bad reactions. With the AZ, the side effects are worse the younger you are apparently, according to the NHS blurb they give you when you go in...for the over 70's there are hardly any side affects

I think it depends on which one you have, got mates who had Moderna and no-where near as bad reactions. With the AZ, the side effects are worse the younger you are apparently, according to the NHS blurb they give you when you go in...for the over 70's there are hardly any side affects

We had AZ and actually not so bad for me just a bit of joint / muscle ache really

Boris has pulled out of his India trip.
That's a first...

Apparantly he's holding a COBRA (govt emergency meeting) about (a) foreign travel (b) the corona resurgence in Europe (c) vaccine delays OR (d) Bloody Football.

No prize for guessing which. BTW, the same COBRA meetings he couldn't be arsed to attend last February pre-covid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back