☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sun is out here in Yorkshire but its a con, no power to it at all and still cold. Thought Global Warming would sort this ;)

It's been a bit like that this last week in Devon. Lots of sunny spells but a nip in the air / cold wind or intermittent clouds when it gets too cold to be comfortable without a warm top.

Today it all finally changed. This afternoon I was finally able to ditch the t-shirt mowing the grass for the first time since February. Coldest Spring I can remember - and so dry I've had to have the hose on the garden repeatedly because later stuff was starting to abort buds with drought. Late frosts haven't helped. A real contrast to last year's heatwave which made the start of the first lockdown a bit of a gift, because we had all the garden cushions and umbrellas out every day and was brown as a berry by mid-April !

I think uk really need to put india on the red list, but as bojo going in a week or so for trade talks they seem reluctant to do so 🤦‍♂️

The indian variant has quite significant changes. We need to keep variants like this out or under control, at least until vaccines been tweaked for it 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• 960x0.jpg
    960x0.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 960x0-1.jpg
    960x0-1.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1
If all our work gets f***ed up cause a country thought it's fine to allow mass gatherings with no measures, even with high daily cases, then I'll probably cry 🙃

(Start of year indian cases where dropping, seemingly as lots of people had immunity to those strains [50% of pop in some areas]. But rates still high -> high risk of mutations.

This likely to happen in any country with high immunity 50%+ via vaccine etc if they don't keep daily rates low or some measures until they are)

A trip to India in the new years seems to be slipping further away. Lots of people in Goa moaning that there are no restrictions on domestic travellers from India coming in
Yeah, think Indian gov would at least do some limited restrictions on movement between states until they know more.

Initial reports seem to indicate its following path of Brazil p1 variant, younger people been symptomatic/worse affected than before.

(From what read, the ACE2 receptor it binds to is expressed less in younger people. But if becomes more infectious then gonna hit worse. Bit like initial load factor seems to dictate severity of disease. More infectious-> more initial load.

One small positive is seems in india the elderly might be getting some protection from been vaccinated. 🤞)

Hope you're right. I know its "normal" for it to happen, but don't want it to impact things at least until autumn + new vaccines.

Would be sods law, first day about to step foot out the house and meet friends...

Gov: "alright, everyone back in side"
Me:
tenor.gif

😂

I think uk really need to put india on the red list, but as bojo going in a week or so for trade talks they seem reluctant to do so 🤦‍♂️

The indian variant has quite significant changes. We need to keep variants like this out or under control, at least until vaccines been tweaked for it 🤷‍♂️

Really can't understand why the wife is stuck in Pakistan but India staying off the Red List

Really can't understand why the wife is stuck in Pakistan but India staying off the Red List
The default Tory government answer: nothing to do with health, everything to do with money

Can't believe she's still stuck there btw. What a nightmare

Hope you're right. I know its "normal" for it to happen, but don't want it to impact things at least until autumn + new vaccines.

Would be sods law, first day about to step foot out the house and meet friends...

Gov: "alright, everyone back in side"
Me:
tenor.gif

😂

It's pretty obvious now that by Summer these variants will have broken through. Europe missed the boat of getting 50+% fully vaccinated by end of this month which is what it would have taken for a safe Summer of relative freedom, coupled with strict monitoring and social distancing/mask/indoor gathering restrictions maintained throughout July and August and a ban on people coming in from outside Europe for non-essential reasons to keep variants at bay. Less than people want but enough to have a better quality of life after Summer.

The WHO warned the world we wouldn't be safe unless everywhere was cautious and vaccination very widespread globally. I've written off travelling this year completely now - and I don;t think (pretty strongly) people should be trying to go on holiday abroad this Summer. If boosters had been available to start rolling out now then that's different but as things stand it's a very bad idea. I really hope the Government u-turns and imposes travel restrictions from July again so at least some semblence of normal life can be achieved (with regular testing of the whole country) for the rest of the year.

As things stand by the time kids go back to school in September I can see us told to work from home and not to go out unless for essential reasons - or else people voluntarily closing themselves away. Better make the most of this short window of opportunity before Summer comes and imported variants go completely bonkers again here. It's the safest we'll be all year following the recent lockdown I reckon. Just wish they'd extended the ban on social gatherings until late June but the stupid G7 thing has scuppered that.

It's pretty obvious now that by Summer these variants will have broken through. Europe missed the boat of getting 50+% fully vaccinated by end of this month which is what it would have taken for a safe Summer of relative freedom, coupled with strict monitoring and social distancing/mask/indoor gathering restrictions maintained throughout July and August and a ban on people coming in from outside Europe for non-essential reasons to keep variants at bay. Less than people want but enough to have a better quality of life after Summer.

The WHO warned the world we wouldn't be safe unless everywhere was cautious and vaccination very widespread globally. I've written off travelling this year completely now - and I don;t think (pretty strongly) people should be trying to go on holiday abroad this Summer. If boosters had been available to start rolling out now then that's different but as things stand it's a very bad idea. I really hope the Government u-turns and imposes travel restrictions from July again so at least some semblence of normal life can be achieved (with regular testing of the whole country) for the rest of the year.

As things stand by the time kids go back to school in September I can see us told to work from home and not to go out unless for essential reasons - or else people voluntarily closing themselves away. Better make the most of this short window of opportunity before Summer comes and imported variants go completely bonkers again here. It's the safest we'll be all year following the recent lockdown I reckon. Just wish they'd extended the ban on social gatherings until late June but the stupid G7 thing has scuppered that.
Have bad feeling you maybe right. Path A is seemingly harder to reach now with all the delays of countries getting their act together. Path B is looking more likely, limited international travel.

Disaster for travel companies, lots go bust and the big ones possibly "nationalised". Countries that rely on tourism will be in a bad place too 😕

Vaccine hesitancy is Europe (esp France) ain't going to make things better either.

So much for my travel/social/sex life for another year 😂 (unless can request proof of covid vaccine passport for all of those 🙈)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back