☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twaddle? Sure.

I already posted an article last week about this from another source going from 70% more contagious to 30% and now to 11% more contagious, but now The Lancet is also concluding that the difference is not noteworthy.
but there was no evidence that the frequency of reinfections was higher for the B.1.1.7 variant than for pre-existing variants

Study about new variant able to reinfect people who've had "original" strains. I.e. does it escape previous immunity from infection/vaccine.

Not about how fast it spreads in people with no immunity.

Unless of course it's me who is reading it's meaning completely wrong 😁

Ps this is good news as means current vaccines will work against it.

but there was no evidence that the frequency of reinfections was higher for the B.1.1.7 variant than for pre-existing variants

Study about new variant able to reinfect people who've had "original" strains. I.e. does it escape previous immunity from infection/vaccine.

Not about how fast it spreads in people with no immunity.

Unless of course it's me who is reading it's meaning completely wrong 😁

Ps this is good news as means current vaccines will work against it.
That was the goal of the research yeah. But it holds conclusions about a few more things.
There's more to be found on the transmissibility of the UK variant....all pointing into the direction the higher infection rate was exaggerated.
Anyway, I was talking about how the media spread fear with the UK variants in The Netherlands, where it was presented as "a pandemic within a pandemic". 🤔

Twaddle? Sure.

I already posted an article last week about this from another source going from 70% more contagious to 30% and now to 11% more contagious, but now The Lancet is also concluding that the difference is not noteworthy.

It actually says "Our results add to the emerging consensus that the B.1.1.7 variant has increased transmissibility"

Mate, you cannot possibly believe that the UK variant is less transmissible than the original. There is absolutely zero doubt in scientists' minds this is the case, they are simply struggling to work out what aspect of the mutation is actually causing that. What hocus pocus reason can you put forward for this variant becoming dominant over others first in UK then in USA ?

This aspect supports greater restrictions on behaviour of citizens to curb it. Even areas of the world which got off easy first time round are getting hammered this time as this variant becomes dominant elsewhere in places less severe restrictions were in force. It's simple arithmetic mate. Not trying to be condescending but really, it takes no more than common sense and observation to establish something this basic. The only thing other than vaccinations and prior infection stopping it is behavioural change. The virus is not losing virulence quite yet, so that's not an exit route from policy either.

The NY times had nice article showing graphs of % of variants in eu countries. UK variant basically become dominant.

Unfortunately I've used up my 1 per day views so couldn't screenshot 😂

The b117 variant seems to encode more for a protein that helps it evade immune system -> replicate more -> more infectious. (Current theory)

Edit managed to get screenshot before subscribe popup 😁. Red is b117 as % of infections over time

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210413-205007_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210413-205007_Samsung Internet.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 9
It actually says "Our results add to the emerging consensus that the B.1.1.7 variant has increased transmissibility"

Mate, you cannot possibly believe that the UK variant is less transmissible than the original. There is absolutely zero doubt in scientists' minds this is the case, they are simply struggling to work out what aspect of the mutation is actually causing that. What hocus pocus reason can you put forward for this variant becoming dominant over others first in UK then in USA ?

This aspect supports greater restrictions on behaviour of citizens to curb it. Even areas of the world which got off easy first time round are getting hammered this time as this variant becomes dominant elsewhere in places less severe restrictions were in force. It's simple arithmetic mate. Not trying to be condescending but really, it takes no more than common sense and observation to establish something this basic. The only thing other than vaccinations and prior infection stopping it is behavioural change. The virus is not losing virulence quite yet, so that's not an exit route from policy either.
I'm staying out of this but....
A virologist who was doing a study covid in London November and December by (mis)fortune ended up studying the Kent variant. Strongly believes it causes higher viral load in upper respiratory tract increasing causing increased transmitabiliaty by a significant degree

Jusr sharing, past caring x

I plead ignorance, as I am not sure how Spanish government works (especially so in the context of emergency powers). Does this mean that all (mask, distancing, etc.) orders are lifted on May 9th? Can the legislature or local governments implement their own measures?

I plead ignorance, as I am not sure how Spanish government works (especially so in the context of emergency powers). Does this mean that all (mask, distancing, etc.) orders are lifted on May 9th? Can the legislature or local governments implement their own measures?

no. a lot of restrictions will be kept up by the regional governments.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back