☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't overdo the running chaps. Max I've ever ran in one go is 13 miles, yet I now have a ganglion cyst on the top of my foot and horrible bits (corns? bunions?) under my toes. It's good exercise in moderation but can take its toll..

Don't overdo the running chaps. Max I've ever ran in one go is 13 miles, yet I now have a ganglion cyst on the top of my foot and horrible bits (corns? bunions?) under my toes. It's good exercise in moderation but can take its toll..
Oh, it is unquestionably a stupid idea. People that run for fun are super strange and should be viewed as extremely suspicious by all of us normal folk

Mum had her second jab today - AZ after 3 months. Best we can do with that one I think so that's "one down". I didn't ask for my second jab early, just gut feeling on the day. Incidence is very low right now and my own 3 month appointment is 4 weeks on Monday. The science says I'll get a much better response from waiting in the medium term until variants run rampant and hopefully that's not a big immediate risk here.

If AZ runs out for second doses and I get offered an mRNA instead for the second dose hopefully we'll have preliminary mixing results by then and might even be better. I can't see UK suspending AZ for my age group (40s and male) in the next 4 weeks to be honest. In the meantime, no desire to go to pub gardens or socialize but I want to start club runs in the next 2-3 weeks. With mum fully vaccinated and well clear out the other end I think that's a perfectly reasonable risk for me to take. Obviously I'd feel much safer if I'd had 2 jabs as far as not risking bringing Covid home but at some point these mental shackles have to be opened and that has to be soon.

Hope I've make the right decision - time will tell !

For UK members, Raphael Hardy who I've posted about before, he is in the business of event health and safety advisor and risk assessment. Raphael has always been sceptical of the 21st June restart. He's been scouring the latest published SAGE minutes and is convinced that there will be a delay between stage easing 2-4.
He believes a far more realistic date for the industry opening up is 17th July, based on the tone and conversation

Old triathlon training partner did a 100 mile run last week for a knife crime charity. 19hrs. Nothing wrong with his legs/feet. Get some decent shoes or gait analysis. We're built to run, were the most endurance adapted species.

Oh, it is unquestionably a stupid idea. People that run for fun are super strange and should be viewed as extremely suspicious by all of us normal folk
I'll run all day with a stick chasing a ball. But I won't go out for a "run" as I find it tedious and I've no motivation...

Vaccinations; Spain should shortly break the 20% first dose barrier, they are where the UK was nine weeks ago. The UK has vaxxed around 50% first does, but that's flatlining slightly at the moment - means at current rates (and Spain apears to be speeding up) by the end of June Spain will be where we are, and if they can get those second jabs out it's looking better for late summer and autumn.

means at current rates (and Spain apears to be speeding up) by the end of June Spain will be where we are, and if they can get those second jabs out it's looking better for late summer and autumn.

Background rates of SA variant seem to be the key issue - it seems to be somewhat suppressed by the ones vaccines are most effective against, but it's around pretty widely on the Continent. The more it persists unchecked the faster it's likely to accelerate as vaccinations step in for lockdowns, the real work on stamping it out needs to happen now to buy time.

It's just frustrating that in Europe it has got a hold more strongly than over here right now because it's the single biggest threat to the late Summer and there's plenty of time for it to accelerate and cause disruption. Unless the whole of Europe has low prevalence rates, sequencing every positive test simply isn't feasible. I think it might be a case of we all came close but in the end it was too little too late on the vaccination front once travel resumes. If people keep up social distancing over Summer this might help, but let's face it there's very little chance of that. The less careful people are the more likely it is we'll be back with a less severe form of last year's woes in September, but that could be enough to impact travel freedoms later in the year.

Mum had her second jab today - AZ after 3 months. Best we can do with that one I think so that's "one down". I didn't ask for my second jab early, just gut feeling on the day. Incidence is very low right now and my own 3 month appointment is 4 weeks on Monday. The science says I'll get a much better response from waiting in the medium term until variants run rampant and hopefully that's not a big immediate risk here.

If AZ runs out for second doses and I get offered an mRNA instead for the second dose hopefully we'll have preliminary mixing results by then and might even be better. I can't see UK suspending AZ for my age group (40s and male) in the next 4 weeks to be honest. In the meantime, no desire to go to pub gardens or socialize but I want to start club runs in the next 2-3 weeks. With mum fully vaccinated and well clear out the other end I think that's a perfectly reasonable risk for me to take. Obviously I'd feel much safer if I'd had 2 jabs as far as not risking bringing Covid home but at some point these mental shackles have to be opened and that has to be soon.

Hope I've make the right decision - time will tell !
Good luck with your decision...I would have done the same. another 4 weeks is nothing compared to the length we’ve all waited. Here, they’ve already started giving a third (booster) - this could go on for years but I guess science will catch up

As well as a bit of uncertainty about the restrictions lots of them are having problems with insurance as there's no Government backing.

Also the logistics of making it happen this year are starting to hit home, such as having a socially distanced queue potentially having to check vacinne passports etc. Festivals aren't quick to get into at the best of times and pissed up customers getting angry at a long wait will be hard for security to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back