☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, there are flights. I'm wondering how the EU sorts out which people to turn back. Is it purely based on what passport the traveler presents on arrival?

If true this would be a counterexample -- you're saying an American (or Brazilian etc) living in the UK would be able to cross into Europe despite holding the wrong passport, as long as place of permanent residence is on the good list?

It makes no sense to control based on nationality alone - it is where the person has recently been that's relevant. I am guessing travel hisotry may be questioned to make sure nobody slips in by taking a roundabout route, something which would show from passport stamps (unless of course you have dual-nationality, or identity !)

You wouldn’t get on the flight without prior approval or that your flight is ‘essential’

Apologies if I'm missing something but I still have the same question. Whether it's before getting on the flight or after landing, what are the standards for being cleared to enter? Even if the airline calls and screens every passenger in advance (I'd be surprised if they're doing that for all US-to-Europe flights, but it's a good idea). Let's say I hold a Canadian passport but I live in the US. Or I hold a European passport but I live in Brazil. Or I hold an American passport but I live in England.

To @kimajy 's point, it would be a weak strategy to base things on citizenship alone, without considering the totality of the circumstances (where have you been living and traveling recently)....which is why I'm genuinely wondering. Is there a standard that has been articulated or confirmed somewhere? It would suck to think you're OK to enter and then get turned around.

There aren’t many accepted reasons. At the moment the rules are for essential travel only. So you’d need documents to back this up. Most the UK-US flights are repatriations with some business travel for very good reason

A lot of these transatlantic flights are running mainly cargo too

There aren’t many accepted reasons. At the moment the rules are for essential travel only. So you’d need documents to back this up. Most the UK-US flights are repatriations with some business travel for very good reason

Interesting. So if @Thomas Cliche wants to vacation in Ibiza in July, even though Canada is on the good list he can't go unless he can show it's essential travel? I hope for his sake that's not true...

Apologies if I'm missing something but I still have the same question. Whether it's before getting on the flight or after landing, what are the standards for being cleared to enter? Even if the airline calls and screens every passenger in advance (I'd be surprised if they're doing that for all US-to-Europe flights, but it's a good idea). Let's say I hold a Canadian passport but I live in the US. Or I hold a European passport but I live in Brazil. Or I hold an American passport but I live in England.

To @kimajy 's point, it would be a weak strategy to base things on citizenship alone, without considering the totality of the circumstances (where have you been living and traveling recently)....which is why I'm genuinely wondering. Is there a standard that has been articulated or confirmed somewhere? It would suck to think you're OK to enter and then get turned around.

the thing isn't even ratified yet - I'm actually also curious on those details.

ibiza has just had its first blip - a family where four have tested positive. authorities say it's under control. as I said, it was to be expected. https://www.periodicodeibiza.es/pit...1176949/brote-familiar-coronavirus-ibiza.html

here on balearics the death rate due to covid-19 is far lower than the spanish average and we're the second lowest % in the country

As an aside, Guernsey and Jersey are two "British" islands off the coast of France. They are, of course, within the UK's Common travel Area so there should be no issues whatsoever (other than customs) in travelling between them and the UK.

However CV has virtually been eradicated on both, and they are as back-to-normal as you can be. But Brits simply can't fly there and join in the fun, everyone entering is subject to two weeks quarantine and has to stay in one place.

That would be the same, i expect, for any EU-bound americans right now, unless they have specific opt-outs (eg elite sports/press)

As an aside, Guernsey and Jersey are two "British" islands off the coast of France. They are, of course, within the UK's Common travel Area so there should be no issues whatsoever (other than customs) in travelling between them and the UK.

However CV has virtually been eradicated on both, and they are as back-to-normal as you can be. But Brits simply can't fly there and join in the fun, everyone entering is subject to two weeks quarantine and has to stay in one place.

That would be the same, i expect, for any EU-bound americans right now, unless they have specific opt-outs (eg elite sports/press)

of course the problem is - there are no flights to Jersey are there? I have a friend working out there from U.K. and he’s been unable to leave since this started.

Jersey govt rules state;

Necessary travel

Until further notice, only those who qualify for necessary travel purposes may travel to or from the Island. Necessary travel refers to either:

• essential government workers or contractors travelling to/from Jersey for the purposes of their work
  • essential private or voluntary sector workers travelling to/from Jersey for the purposes of their work
  • travelling to/from the UK for medical treatment;
  • travelling to reach a permanent home in Jersey or the UK,
  • travel on compassionate grounds
  • travelling to reach a permanent home outside the UK
  • travelling for educational purposes
If you believe that you qualify for necessary travel, you must seek JCIS authorisation at the time of booking your travel (see below). Please note that you should be prepared to provide proof that your travel is necessary both at the time of booking and of travel.

Interesting. So if @Thomas Cliche wants to vacation in Ibiza in July, even though Canada is on the good list he can't go unless he can show it's essential travel? I hope for his sake that's not true...

from next week - as long as he originates from Canada & not the US and is on a single flight ticket to Ibiza then I believe that is ok.

maybe ill keep my mouth shut in future on this forum...i think the phrase don’t shoot the messenger springs to mind ?
You don't have to keep your mouth shut, just saying how the media like to scaremong people, obviously that's not your fault

I think harsher things have been said on this forum than that

Its all over. A lot of attention is currently on Texas and Florida because they opened aggressively about 6 weeks back, but California is surging too. Big, spacious countries are hard to manage.

The EU left Russia, Brazil and China "out" too.
I was going to add on the sheer size of America has a lot to do with it I can imagine the majority of people have adhered to the rules

There was suppose to be a EU vote on saturday, then on monday, but my understanding is that no consensus have been reach so nothing is confirmed yet...

For now we are still hoping and dreaming about Ibiza in July, but more likely it will be later in the month (not from 9 to 14, but from 18 to 23). ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back