☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of Italy being placed on lockdown. The decree provides for banning all public events, closing cinemas, theatres, gyms, discos and pubs, funerals, weddings and all sport events, including Serie A matches. All schools and universities will remain close until 3 April

That is 60 million people locked down. They are threatening arrests for people who try to flee to avoid quarantine.

For the ‘it is just flu’ folk... some real stats from Italy this year so far.

240 deaths from 2.8M cases of Flu (Oct - March)
Coronavirus - 463 deaths from 9000 cases in around 2 weeks.
Exactly. People saying things like “my weekend plans are ruined that X or Y club is closed”, need to get a grip and realise this is a public health crisis. While people shouldn’t panic, they should realise it’s serious. Italy and France’s approaches seem proportional yet IMO the UK seems way too casual. I’m writing that as a public health professional.

I have flights for Ibiza for July and September but I’m not booking any other things like hotels yet, as we have no idea yet what the situation will be then. I feel for everyone in the travel and leisure industry as it’s hitting hard, but these industries are secondary to keeping people safe and well.

I guess there will be much less Italians on the island this summer.So many people are losing their jobs and businesses right now,I doubt there will be money to be spend in Ibiza.

i was one of those who didn't take it that seriously at the start. but some of the stuff I've read this week is pretty worrying. the problem is that for your average layman without the expertise it's very hard to know how to plan anything.

All these measures...cancelling events, quarantines, cancelling flight routes...are economic measures from governments.
Not health measures.

Most of the world population will get the virus eventually, this will go on for a while. Governments are now taking measures to make sure the population does not get the virus all at the same time.

All these measures...cancelling events, quarantines, cancelling flight routes...are economic measures from governments.
Not health measures.

Most of the world population will get the virus eventually, this will go on for a while. Governments are now taking measures to make sure the population does not get the virus all at the same time.

o_O

I think what appears to be the prevailing 'I'm young(ish) and healthy' attitude needs tempering with how many degrees of separation you have to those who aren't. My Dad is 72 and has Parkinson's. If my kids pick it up at school an take it round to my folks, it could kill him?

I think what appears to be the prevailing 'I'm young(ish) and healthy' attitude needs tempering with how many degrees of separation you have to those who aren't. My Dad is 72 and has Parkinson's. If my kids pick it up at school an take it round to my folks, it could kill him?
That's major concern...

Woof. I read that whole thread of tweets and it is sad.

For reference, On March 1st they had ~1400 cases and 40 deaths. Today, Italy reports 9,172 total cases (724 recovered, 433 dead, 7,985 active) and of those active cases 733 in serious and critical condition requiring hospitalization. The serious and critical patients are spending upwards of 2 weeks in hospitals so there is very low turnover, and beds are not opening up for new patients as the numbers explode.

In a country with 60,000,000 people, it took less than 2 weeks and 1,000 severe or critically ill to stretch the health care system to its max...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back