☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Horses can’t catch it

But the over 100,000 people that will attend the festival certainly can. Would agree with the above comment about head sanding. People need to be more vigilant and if you think that if this keeps growing at the same rate that it won't have any effect on tourism this summer you are very naive.

Previous comments comparing to SARS and MERS are irrelevant as they were centred around Asia and European cases were miniscule. This is worldwide and spreading extremely fast.

I'm not convinced it is overly dangerous to the majority of the population but in this age of social media it is the panic and fear that will cause mass cancellations of events, flights and gatherings.. and it's already happening.

But the over 100,000 people that will attend the festival certainly can. Would agree with the above comment about head sanding. People need to be more vigilant and if you think that if this keeps growing at the same rate that it won't have any effect on tourism this summer you are very naive.

Previous comments comparing to SARS and MERS are irrelevant as they were centred around Asia and European cases were miniscule. This is worldwide and spreading extremely fast.

I'm not convinced it is overly dangerous to the majority of the population but in this age of social media it is the panic and fear that will cause mass cancellations of events, flights and gatherings.. and it's already happening.
You don’t know me do you!

I think the problem from what I've heard isn't so much the death rate but the fact it seems to spread very easily and you can be infectious for up to 2 weeks with no symptoms. The other diseases mentioned do spread but not as much under the radar.

So what they are worried about is more a case of large numbers been infected and thus a higher total number dead. Not to mention the fact more people infected = higher load on health services etc.

Seeing people stood in asda looking stupidly at empty shelves of antibacterial hand wash while there are 2 shelves of normal hand wash next to it was a little funny.

Horses can’t catch it
But dogs can...

For those that comment about "head sanding" (sounds painful), I would say do what you feel is appropriate for you. If you dont want to risk it, dont travel. I hope you do not get it and that you all live a long life full of love and joy.

That said, I dont want to catch the regular flu, which kills 100s of thousands annually, but that does not impact my international travel plans or trips to the supermarket. More information may change that, but at this time and for my demographic and that of my family, we are good. Most people in good health are asymptomatic or only have the regular flu-like symptoms and recover.

I have been in the middle of a recent epidemic (wife was pregnant during ZIKA in 2017, while there was a local outbreak here in the Caribbean). I personally know other people who got Zika, while pregnant. There is cause for concern in any medical event, but I can tell you from the ground that the media hyped it up quite a bit. Two years on, lo-and-behold we dont have a generation of deformed toddlers like we were warned there would be. The other diseases I mentioned were very deadly and SARS peaked at 120 (edit: not thousands) of infections in a single week of March 2003, by June 2003 it was over (like the normal flu season). It may not have been in Europe, but does provide some idea of what to expect.

Lets not turn this into the Brexit thread! I will revisit in May...

Last edited:
Got my honeymoon booked in Ibiza in May, really hoping it doesn't all get cancelled. My brother works in a hospital and the stratgey right now is all about slowing the peak to around May time, when there will be less elderly people taking up hospital beds from getting ill over winter.

LOL

Y'all need to chill.... in two months this will be old news. SARS, MERS, Swine Flu, Bird Flu, H1N1 and the EBOLA scare in 2014 dint stop the party. Remember those?!?

Unless you are an 80 year old chain-smoker you should be fine. Like most flu the infections wane as the weather warms.

See you at the beach... bitches!

Not just the elderly who are at risk.

If you suffer an auto immune illness, you are at risk.

W
[/] The other diseases I mentioned were very deadly and SARS peaked at 120 thousand of infections in a single week of March 2003, by June 2003 it was over (like the normal flu season).

The total number of SARS cases reported by World Health Organization in the 2002-03 outbreak was just over 8,000.

[/QUOTE]
I will admit when I make an error. Was looking at the WHO infection chart and read 120 as 120k.?

Thank you. I win the internet award today.

Will edit the above. However as mentioned, I will check back in May to see where we stand.

But dogs can...

For those that comment about "head sanding" (sounds painful), I would say do what you feel is appropriate for you. If you dont want to risk it, dont travel. I hope you do not get it and that you all live a long life full of love and joy.

That said, I dont want to catch the regular flu, which kills 100s of thousands annually, but that does not impact my international travel plans or trips to the supermarket. More information may change that, but at this time and for my demographic and that of my family, we are good. Most people in good health are asymptomatic or only have the regular flu-like symptoms and recover.

I have been in the middle of a recent epidemic (wife was pregnant during ZIKA in 2017, while there was a local outbreak here in the Caribbean). I personally know other people who got Zika, while pregnant. There is cause for concern in any medical event, but I can tell you from the ground that the media hyped it up quite a bit. Two years on, lo-and-behold we dont have a generation of deformed toddlers like we were warned there would be. The other diseases I mentioned were very deadly and SARS peaked at 120 (edit: not thousands) of infections in a single week of March 2003, by June 2003 it was over (like the normal flu season). It may not have been in Europe, but does provide some idea of what to expect.

Lets not turn this into the Brexit thread! I will revisit in May...

You've misunderstood me. I'm not worried about getting it I'm young fit and healthy and I don't smoke. I'm worried about the panic and hysteria which there is already plenty of impacting on travel and events which is already happening (ultra) Unfortunately not a whole lot we can do about that. Hopefully it all ends well and I'll be on the island in 3 months time :)

Green light is still on for me ✈ :D ?

This only affects chain smoking 80 year olds.

I’ll be ingesting worse things than coronavirus when I hit the White Isle this year, and I’ve known lads come back from Ibiza with worse diseases.

I was immunised against Anthrax when I was 19 and took a full course of Nerve Agent Pre Treatment tablets, I’m sure I’ll be fine.

Also survived the squalor and disease ridden Central African failed state of South Sudan in wet season.

Highest of all, I’ve battled through a couple of bouts of man flu in my time.

I’ll be damned if a Chinese cold is going to put me out of action in July.

Will have to keep an eye on my lass though, she’s susceptible to drinking from what she always claims is a ‘dirty glass’ making her ill the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back