☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is exactly right. The most recent data I've seen indicates in those aged 70 to 79 years had an 8% fatality rate and those aged 80 years and older had a fatality rate of 14.8%. There is also increased risk for those with weakened immune systems (cancer patients, HIV, on immune suppressant medication for Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Ulcerative Colitis, etc) as well as diabetes and cardiovascular disease.

The other problem is going to be overcrowding of the healthcare system. China built a hospital, Washington USA is buying an old hotel to convert to a hospital, Korea has only 5-6,000 cases confirmed and they are reporting being unable to handle the capacity already. In China many of the people who did not survive, would have had they been able to get access to the medical care they needed. The most recent data I could find indicated Spain has about 5,000 intensive care beds, which usually run about 80% capacity (1000 open).

There are almost 150 drug trials ongoing to evaluate the efficacy of anti-viral and other forms of treatment. There is hope that warm weather may slow the spread, but this is speculative at the moment. Until we have more information on this stuff, the only options we have are containment options like travel restrictions, quarantine, cancelling school, and restricting large gatherings of people.

The math is pretty ugly. I am of the opinion reality is better than the math, but worse than the general public is willing to acknowledge. I have been preparing to have honeymoon to BCN / IBZ cancelled by the airlines since Spain allowed Fallas to happen unmitigated.
It'll blow over @Hurr1cane

the question is, how many of those elderly people would have died anyway? even with a regular neumonia elderly people have a risk of death.

I'll be more specific. in spain, so far four people have died (as of now). all of them were old and all of them were already battling health issues at the time they got hit by cov-19

the question is, how many of those elderly people would have died anyway? even with a regular neumonia elderly people have a risk of death.

The death rate (all causes mortality) per year for a given age group (USA statistics since that’s what I could find easiest):

70-74 male 2.7% female 1.8%
75-79 male 4.1% female 3.9%
80-84 male 6.9% female 5.1%

So yes, some of these people would have died of other natural causes within a given timeframe. But since this is a novel infection, we also know there will be excess mortality.

I don’t envy anyone in government that has to decide how to balance maximizing lives saved versus the economic effects of minimizing spread.

LOL

Y'all need to chill.... in two months this will be old news. SARS, MERS, Swine Flu, Bird Flu, H1N1 and the EBOLA scare in 2014 dint stop the party. Remember those?!?

Unless you are an 80 year old chain-smoker you should be fine. Like most flu the infections wane as the weather warms.

See you at the beach... bitches!

LOL

Y'all need to chill.... in two months this will be old news. SARS, MERS, Swine Flu, Bird Flu, H1N1 and the EBOLA scare in 2014 dint stop the party. Remember those?!?

Unless you are an 80 year old chain-smoker you should be fine. Like most flu the infections wane as the weather warms.

exactly

LOL

There’s a very good reason they didn’t stop the party. There was 1 confirmed case of Ebola, 1 MERS, and 1 SARS in all of Spain. None of which were contracted in the community.

There certainly is a lot of hype and worry/panic surrounding the corona virus, but there’s way more substance than some of your comparisons.

Personally, I’m not worried about the illness as much as getting stuck in a 14 day quarantine trying to get home after a two week trip. That would be a huge financial hit.

There is a lot of head sanding going on here and a lot of vested interests at work too and that includes the spotlight team unfortunately. I am pleased I haven’t booked our summer holidays yet. What you choose to do is up to you but I’d recommend being circumspect. Unfortunately I have a bunch of tickets for sport and clubbing events around Europe that are inevitably going to get cancelled, but thats life and it’s better than the alternative. This is very different to what we have seen before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back