☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but if we don't enforce some kind of social distancing until vaccine etc, they estimate 40 million will die while rest of herd get immunity. Sobering.

Remember You are not welcome in Ibz or somewhere as long as the problem is not solved. The Natives dont want foreign people there at the moment. They telled the gov to close the airport and the harbour.
Yes, but that doesn't put euros into their pockets. It will start to hurt real soon.

When we had foot and mouth here in the UK farmers pleaded "don't come to the countryside" then after 3 = 4 weeks they started opening a few footpaths and it was "p[lease come, we need your income".

Lol, well in theory, but still russian roulette. Young people are dying.

But in your scenario to be more correct: young people go to a covid party, then are kept in strict lockdown isolation for 3 weeks until not infectious anymore.
Edit: missed your isolation part lol

Tbh I wonder if that would have been a viable strategy for key workers a month or 2 ago . Risky in some ways ??‍♂️

You can do it, if there is a good treathment with low risks. But controlled infection ,mhhh

Also just heard on the telly that lockdown could be over six months (UK). The public won't put up with that, it will start to be ignored and pretty soon too, and that would probably make things worse than a gradual return - say after a month - which people may well stick to as they see an end in sight?
Indeed. The boffins need to get their heads together and find a better way forward.

6 months of lockdown, there won't be a country to step out in to.

British government have messed up with the 6 month thing today... even if that’s the reality they need to keep motivation by drip feeding us these measures. People won’t be able to fathom 6 months of lockdown and will lose their motivation.
Totally. On the one hand you can't keep extending it by saying "in 3 weeks we will look at the situation" weeks at a time. We need an endpoint. And if that endpoint is 6 months I know for sure I can't be cooped up that length of time, I could end up being a depressive alcoholic drug-user - so at some point I'll go out so it might as well be tomorrow.
They HAVE to say - one month, and then we will start to re-introduce some normality.
Public places (pubs for example) open but seats apart; but places where people are confined (stadia, clubs etc) open later.

Well maybe 6 months of relax and tighten measures. Guess will see.

One study I was reading showed they could detect virus 8 days after end of symptoms. Didn't say if still shedding virus, but could explain why it keeps spreading??‍♂️

Also study into hydroxychloroquine is on going. Might not be much use once you are bad enough to be in ICU, but prior to that it might stop you getting bad enough to need hospitalization. But the guy running it said main problem is lack of testing capacity and testing the general populus to catch it earlier. - that where South Korea and Germany ahead of others. Mass testing.

....and because your data shows that you are in the pub too much, your insurance premiums are increased by 30%, still ok?
Like most people I use google, Apple, Facebook, strava, so I’m reasonably relaxed with my data being seem by faceless multinational companies.

The government already know everything about me financially and health wise, and I’m sure a lot more as well. Your point about health insurance isn’t really applicable as no UK government will in the next 20 years at least win an election on the back of supporting a social or private health insurance model. And if there was any doubt about that you just needed to have stood outside on Thursday at 8pm. Brits are obsessed with the NHS and any criticism is blasphemy and electoral suicide.
If you meant private health insurance, then some firms already ask for your fitness data like Vitality who monitor your exercise data for lower premiums. But that’s an extra rather than replacing the NHS.

Unfortunately GP's don't have enough time as it it without testing people who want to go on holidays.

And it would mean lots of people coming into the health centres, which is exactly what we don't want.
Hopefully come June it will be different.

Have the antibody tests been rolled out yet?

Iv been told the actual covid test is only approx 70% accurate.

Unfortunately GP's don't have enough time as it it without testing people who want to go on holidays.

And it would mean lots of people coming into the health centres, which is exactly what we don't want.
Hopefully come June it will be different.

Have the antibody tests been rolled out yet?

Iv been told the actual covid test is only approx 70% accurate.
Antibody tests: the select committee hearing on 25th March basically said been evaluated right now to check they work and have high accuracy, don't give false positives etc.

That work should be completed in next few days, then following weeks a phased roll out can begin.

However they did stress it's a completely new and unproven test so it is critical they get this first phase done absolutely right.

Edit: also said the tests have not been rolled out anywhere in the world as yet.

Antibody tests: the select committee hearing on 25th March basically said been evaluated right now to check they work and have high accuracy, don't give false positives etc.

That work should be completed in next few days, then following weeks a phased roll out can begin.

However they did stress it's a completely new and unproven test so it is critical they get this first phase done absolutely right.

Edit: also said the tests have not been rolled out anywhere in the world as yet.
There was rapid backtracking by the Dept of Health as it seemed they jumped the gun on that announcement.

theres always the (slim) possibility this will all be over quicker than we thought. Let’s not forget bird flu, swine flu and SARS all disappeared virtually overnight against all predictions. I know Covid-19 is clearly a different kettle of fish but viruses always have the potential to just die out against expectation.

There’s loads of different ways this could go, nothing’s set in stone. The key is just to take it as it comes. Which is I think chat about 6 months today from the govt was a massive mistake as the nuance will be completely lost on the majority.

People losing their minds about a 6 month lockdown?

Whatever happened to the blitz spirit lads?

Whatever happened to "We won two world wars we can handle Brexit" mentalities?

Couldn't even handle buying loo roll sensibly ffs.

Fwiw, 6 months is reasonable - it will be reviewed after three weeks, at which stage I worry the deaths will have climbed massively as the impact starts to be seen. The harsh reality of that will mean a further extension will seem reasonable, probably for six weeks, at which stage it will be reviewed again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back