☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple of random thoughts:
Where will Pacha be at with it's refurb if construction is closed down for the foreseeable future?

8th May is the 75th anniversary of VE Day. By then the UK will have been in its lockdown for about 6 weeks. Given how much Boris sees himself as a latter day Churchill it wouldn't be a great surprise to see something happen around then.

Quick good news story; a Trustee of the charity I work for had his 82 year old dad in hospital last week with coronavirus and he has underlying conditions. He had come to terms with not having the chance to say goodbye but against all the odds he has recovered and was discharged from hospital at the end of the week.

Couple of random thoughts:
Where will Pacha be at with it's refurb if construction is closed down for the foreseeable future?

this is more for the gossip thread really. but anyway... AFAIK pacha originally wanted to open in may this year (as they usually do with the may bank holiday being their day of summer opening). their building work I believe only stopped now (because they have to). so with their original plan they had one month of time left to finish the revamp.

now, I can't imagine anyone at pacha still thinks they're going to open in may. at best in july maybe. and until then there's enough time to finish the remodeling.

This is the only news headline you need every day for the foreseeable.

I'm looking around for positives. at least, in spain the curve really seems to flatten now. we're still at 800 deaths a day and 6K new cases daily, but the stats are promising and all sources seem to agree on the fact that we're on the decline. that alone is in a way good news already and gives hope.

that's exactly what I was thinking. the whole EU can't stay on lockdown for months. so once the worst is over and the country wide lockdowns are done, if you wanna travel abroad, you should first go see your doc and get a test a few days before you travel and then get tested both at the airport of departure as well as on arrival. it's an expensive thing this, but if the goverment wants tourism to return and not being a risk, during the first few months it's the only way I can see it working really.
Problem about travelling abroad is employers would mandate 14 days self isolating on return at no pay making it prohibitive for anyone booking up anywhere. For me this summer seasons travel will be getting knocked on the head for all across Europe.

I'm looking around for positives. at least, in spain the curve really seems to flatten now. we're still at 800 deaths a day and 6K new cases daily, but the stats are promising and all sources seem to agree on the fact that we're on the decline. that alone is in a way good news already and gives hope.

I’m homeschooling two kids and I’ve also run out of Estrella for my night time medicine so I stand by my post! Yes I agree, it looks like things are starting to turn slowly in certain countries. The numbers are still absolutely brutal yes. To read of thousands of people drawing their last breath every 24 hours due to this thing. Alone. No family allowed. Some in terrifying makeshift wards. Just awful. But there is some hope in sight.

As for UK and Ireland, we still feel like we’re on the brink of what Spain and Italy are in the middle of, so anxiety is building. Especially amongst NHS staff. We’re only starting week 2 of “lockdown”. Schools will be shut until September. That’s confirmed. I do think the differing levels of where we are with things across the world, USA especially plus early days in India and Africa, could still be a huge issue but we’ll see how their lockdowns go as they have major challenges in that regard.

obv a lot of people have it far worse than us. my mum has been house bound for over 3 weeks - this is not good for her mental or physical health (her apartment gets the shade - and they've banned people from communal rooftops). I also think of people I know who have been hospitalised or jailed over the years who really struggled....but it is still tough though - have managed to avoid any massive rows with my gf but tension does creep in at times. the 'highlight' of the day is the 5 min round trip to Caprabo (Eroski) or the 7pm workout video. When will it end? well who knows but I recommend following Giles Tremlett or El Público on Twitter for Spanish data. Keep a daily eye on that graph basically https://twitter.com/gilestremlett

Who is working from home then?

I hope everyone is still fortunate enough to be on full pay and or receive government hand outs to keep them a float
Yep, working at home, took my whole PC/workstation home with me, including my office chair. I appreciate I am one of the lucky ones. The only hard part for me is stopping my 2-year old from wrecking the place when my back is turned....there's only so much Peppa Pig and Frozen 2 she can watch before she starts going crazy. Other than that, so far so good....got the tunes on, weather is getting better (or it was last week)....got to try and stay positive

Who is working from home then?

I hope everyone is still fortunate enough to be on full pay and or receive government hand outs to keep them a float
I work from home 3 times a week anyway, but really miss going out for a coffee or early morning / evening gym. Or just breaking up the days.
Girlfriends company just voted for everyone to drop down to 4 day week with 1 day unpaid for time being. Think she’s dreading having another day off with not much to do rather than loss of money

I hate to get all political, but it is actually astounding what is happening in Hungary right now, and nobody is noticing as we all focused on our own problems. It has been sliding to dictatorship over the last few years anyway, but CV19 has enabled it to go further. Hungary is in the EU!

Hungarian Parliament passes bill that gives PM Orbán unlimited power & proclaims:

- State of emergency w/o time limit
- Rule by decree
- Parliament suspended
- No elections
- Spreading fake news + rumors: up to 5 yrs in prison
- Leaving quarantine: up to 8 yrs in prison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back