☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on our handling of this, dread to think what will happen with Brexit.
Just tell 'em Brexit means no toilet rolls and they will take the Euro and Schengen like a shot. Some "Blitz Spirit" - clearing the shelves of something that doesn't make one iota of difference!! The country's stark raving bonkers, and I so wish I wasn't here.

We were supposed to have flown to Cadiz today for a break with Vueling and they sent an email promising they would reimburse us, but we'll see. they have form... gutted to miss that break, was so looking fwd

spoke too soon.. vueling have indeed refunded BUT into a "Flight Credit" account that can only be used to book other flights.

should have learnt my lesson after the great september fiasco

Whatever happened to the blitz spirit lads?

Blitz spirit was actually a bit of a myth. It’s something we British have clung on to, we look back with rose tinted specs and harness it to guide us through adversity and tough times.

In reality the good old 'blitz spirit' was somewhat overstated and probably projected by the authorities for morale purposes. The reality was that the looting of newly bombed domestic and business premises was widespread and rife and black markets flourished.

Massive thread drift, but a quick google search brings up plenty of blitz spirit myths.

But still, suppose it’s something good for people to find strength from in these dark days.

In fact the Blitz was probably the last time the UK went through something like this.

Based on our handling of this, dread to think what will happen with Brexit.

Conversely I think this could actually be a few more nails in the coffin for the EU.

I think we could see the EU unravel when this pandemic passes.

From what I’ve seen most country’s are pursuing their own national interest, and the EU itself doesn’t seam to have been in too much of a hurry to help Italy or Spain.

Conversely I think this could actually be a few more nails in the coffin for the EU.

I think we could see the EU unravel when this pandemic passes.

From what I’ve seen most country’s are pursuing their own national interest, and the EU itself doesn’t seam to have been in too much of a hurry to help Italy or Spain.
The irony is the British (amongst others) claimed the EU was interfering too much in their lives, and now member states are complaining they're not interfering enough. ventilators, for example, were available for the UK from the EU but our government mucked it up.

Trump doesn't appear to want to lose a few months either, his outlook seems to be that the cure is worse than the virus.

He is keen to have his country up and running by Easter, which I think is very very optimistic unless he is happy to pay for it with corpses.

Yeah, it was too optimistic. Our US social distancing guidelines have now been extended to April 30th. ?

The irony is the British (amongst others) claimed the EU was interfering too much in their lives, and now member states are complaining they're not interfering enough. ventilators, for example, were available for the UK from the EU but our government mucked it up.

Absolutely.

Not only the UK though, there is much worse happening on mainland Europe from what I am seeing and hearing.

The warm fuzzy feeling that the EU is a Utopian state has been shown to be an empty dream.

I don't think the people of Italy (amongst others) will forget about it in a hurry when we get to the other side of this real life nightmare.

The warm fuzzy feeling that the EU is a Utopian state has been shown to be an empty dream.

It is starting to feel like the uncompromising four pillars of the EU only apply during the good times. And the chances of the likes of Germany and Netherlands agreeing to "Coronabonds" (raising funds through issuing shared European debt) is probably about as likely as it is that I'm going to the Moon this week.

would be surprising if that really was already the case. of course I do hope so though

I agree. One thing I have learnt is that one days data is never enough to go on.

I think the reference to the UK was that they saw a *slight* drop in hospital admissions this weekend. But with the incubation period up to 14 days, far too early to draw anything from that IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back