☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news here, I read in the Metro that they are planning on bringing forward the dates peeps are expected their vaccines, so that all over 40's might ve vaxxed by the end of April (so 3 months + 3 weeks gives them a late August/Sept window). Ater that though, as I alluded to, if we are giving peeps their second jab that surely begins to slow down the rate?

I'm hoping to have my jab in the next 4 - 5 weeks, so I should be good to go by the end of July - but frankly I'm not expecting anything available outside the UK at that point. I am hopeful that September will see more flights/hotels abroad and we get that extended season we were cruelly denied last year. Oct 10 is my one and only booked trip to Ibiza...

Biggest worry is that whilst by late summer the Brits are jabbed up; Spain/Portugal will still be way behind. There are gonna have to be some tough decisions made - kick-start tourism but risk an outbreak amongst locals that aren't jabbed?

Be prepared for tougher restrictions if cases rise after lockdown is eased, warns government scientist
The country must be prepared for more tougher restrictions if infections rise once lockdown is gradually eased, a government scientist has warned.
Professor Andrew Hayward of the government's New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (NERVTAG) told Sky News falling infection rates meant lockdown has worked, but warned "we have still got a long way to go".
"I think the fear is if you unlock too quickly, if you start from a reasonably high baseline, then it can get up to high levels that much quicker than if you let it go down to much lower levels before you start to relax," he said.
He said the modelling shows that "if you gradually release from March through to July and then you just let go and went completely back to normal, then we could still be looking at the high tens of thousands of deaths in that scenario".
"So I think what we'll see is a relaxation, but not back to complete normality, but we are going to need to be driven by the figures," he said.
"Whilst none of us want this to be reversible we do need to be prepared that if those figures aren't showing what we hope, that we may need to tighten up again while the vaccines continue to be rolled out."

From Sky News (updates)

More lockdown bollox....?? The whole point of the vaccinations AFAIK isn't to get rid of covid....that's probably like the flu, with us forever...but to stop those 1000's dying and 100,000's being severely ill and needing hospital treatment. Patients will still need hospital, some will even die, but the numbers should be a real small % of the current numbers, meaning we should return to normal and accept that. Might be a kick for those who have unhealthy lifestyles to adjust their ways a bit to keep covid at bay??

Is this scientist telling us that the vaccines don't work and we're wasting our time and money dishing them out? It's one or the other. Why on earth do they want to keep scaring us shitless???

I'd rather listen to the (majority) scientists than The Daily Mail and backbench Tories. Not sure why people can't understand that, because this is a situation that doesn't happen too often, there maybe aren't definitive answer at the moment . I guess part of the cautious approach is uncertainty due to mutations.

More lockdown bollox....?? The whole point of the vaccinations AFAIK isn't to get rid of covid....that's probably like the flu, with us forever...but to stop those 1000's dying and 100,000's being severely ill and needing hospital treatment. Patients will still need hospital, some will even die, but the numbers should be a real small % of the current numbers, meaning we should return to normal and accept that. Might be a kick for those who have unhealthy lifestyles to adjust their ways a bit to keep covid at bay??
This is the point Rishi Sunak made a few weeks back, that scientists are trying to move the goalposts. Last year this was all about relieving pressure on the NHS. We were told before Xmas that restrictions would be lifted once vaccines were approved and there was no risk of the NHS being overwhelmed.

Even Chris Whitty said that we will reach a point where cases and deaths are low enough that society tolerate it, like we do with flu.

Good news here, I read in the Metro that they are planning on bringing forward the dates peeps are expected their vaccines, so that all over 40's might ve vaxxed by the end of April (so 3 months + 3 weeks gives them a late August/Sept window). Ater that though, as I alluded to, if we are giving peeps their second jab that surely begins to slow down the rate?
I honestly don't expect there to be a "vaccine passport" this summer. Either summer travel will happen (like it did last summer) or it won't. All countries are administering different vaccines using different methods and timeframes. It is completely unmanageable at this stage and logistically impossible to agree on a universal set of requirements. For example, French citizens who have already tested positive for the virus will only get 1 jab (there is no second jab) - are they allowed to travel internationally or not? Are UK citizens with 1 jab allowed to travel, given the evidence that efficacy is very high after the first jab (with some vaccines more than others it seems).

There are too many questions for this to work in summer 2021 I think.

I honestly don't expect there to be a "vaccine passport" this summer. Either summer travel will happen (like it did last summer) or it won't. All countries are administering different vaccines using different methods and timeframes. It is completely unmanageable at this stage and logistically impossible to agree on a universal set of requirements. For example, French citizens who have already tested positive for the virus will only get 1 jab (there is no second jab) - are they allowed to travel internationally or not? Are UK citizens with 1 jab allowed to travel, given the evidence that efficacy is very high after the first jab (with some vaccines more than others it seems).

There are too many questions for this to work in summer 2021 I think.
Is 85% good enough? https://metro.co.uk/2021/02/19/pfiz...tive-after-one-dose-new-study-shows-14110047/ I'd be happier when I've had both doses and it's around 95% effective - but a lot depends on if it's more effective with healthier bodies so 85%'s just fine on healthy peeps.
**Thinking aloud - the vulnerable with pre-existing stuff could have the full dose and everyone else just the one??**
But as you allude to, it's all pointless unless there's an international standard; but if the French system works and prevents hospitalisations then fine; let's give everyone just the one and get through quicker.
I suppose the vax will be tweaked so we deffo only need one in future.

I’m sure some countries will choose the passport route. It doesn’t have to be perfect either. And since it’s managed centrally by the IBM gods and health records, I’m sure it can be highly customized by country in terms of what is eligible.

good news for ibicencos & guiricencos

Wow that is really good news.

In this part, were they talking about Ibiza or all of Spain?

“The Ministry of Health has vaccinated 50,202 people against covid-19, of which 20,414 have already received the two prescriptive doses and are considered immunized.”

Doesn't seem so far away now !! Let's hope the supplies arrive to make it all possible 👍

Wow that is really good news.

In this part, were they talking about Ibiza or all of Spain?

“The Ministry of Health has vaccinated 50,202 people against covid-19, of which 20,414 have already received the two prescriptive doses and are considered immunized.”

all balearic islands together.

Doesn't seem so far away now !! Let's hope the supplies arrive to make it all possible 👍

this 🤞🏼

On the back of this story has this changed your opinion of how the summer may play out at all?

This is the point Rishi Sunak made a few weeks back, that scientists are trying to move the goalposts. Last year this was all about relieving pressure on the NHS. We were told before Xmas that restrictions would be lifted once vaccines were approved and there was no risk of the NHS being overwhelmed.

Even Chris Whitty said that we will reach a point where cases and deaths are low enough that society tolerate it, like we do with flu.
Yes, and allowing the virus to spread in enough volume to risk mutations rendering the vaccines useless is obviously what they're mitigating against. It's not simply the case that we're trying to prevent deaths - we're trying to make sure this is the last lockdown we need to do, and obviously in a once-in-a-lifetime pandemic, the goalposts are changing as we go through it because our understanding is changing.

On the back of this story has this changed your opinion of how the summer may play out at all?

no, I always expected the main vaccination wave would happen in the second and third trimester of this year here in spain.

as for how much / how little will be possible this summer, I'd say the next three/four months should be really interesting and will give more pointers as to in what format clubbing will be possible this year

no, I always expected the main vaccination wave would happen in the second and third trimester of this year here in spain.

as for how much / how little will be possible this summer, I'd say the next three/four months should be really interesting and will give more pointers as to in what format clubbing will be possible this year
I'm hoping it goes well. Was planning to join friends mid July but they are postponing, which i agree with and i'm hoping for September time. I'm not convinced they'll go unless they see it looking quite decent, so clubs running and few rules in indoor bars etc.
You could easily see rapid tests becoming a part of a night this year without much of an issue, leave 30 mins earlier, take your test and hang around outside the club chatting to others. Only some clubs have an area big enough to facilitate that though.

If recent examples are anything to go by, expect this weekend to be full of leaks through favoured journalists here in the UK so the government and test the water of Monday's announcement. Already talk that Whitty is pissed off at plans for re-opening schools en masse rather than staggered.

If recent examples are anything to go by, expect this weekend to be full of leaks through favoured journalists here in the UK so the government and test the water of Monday's announcement. Already talk that Whitty is pissed off at plans for re-opening schools en masse rather than staggered.
The hope that at least open-air stuff will be open by April's been knocked back; looks like at best you will be able to meet up with someone in a park and do sod all as nowhere will be open. Will cafe's be able to serve to sit outdide? If so, then why not bars? Although being in such a rubbish weather country, we aren't prepared for that and many bars simply don't have outside room so won't benefit.

Might just take a six-pack and sit on a park bench like a dosser. If it's sunny.

Interesting times ahead I think... the vast majority of world populations have accepted and complied with lockdowns so far because they are widely perceived by most sensible people as legitimate.

With cases spiralling downwards and vaccines being relatively successful in wealthy countries will people accept them to the same extent if they are spanned over another 3-6 months? Personally I’m not sure I would be as ready to comply once the summer starts if cases continue on this downward trend and the vulnerable are all vaccinated

The hope that at least open-air stuff will be open by April's been knocked back; looks like at best you will be able to meet up with someone in a park and do sod all as nowhere will be open. Will cafe's be able to serve to sit outdide? If so, then why not bars? Although being in such a rubbish weather country, we aren't prepared for that and many bars simply don't have outside room so won't benefit.

Might just take a six-pack and sit on a park bench like a dosser. If it's sunny.
We’ve done that a few times now! Get some right funny looks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back