☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depressingly there are paper reports saying thet "hospitality" (bars, pubs, bonking shops) won't open until May at the earliest. They sure know how to boost spirits.
If it was a full reopening in May, i.e. including nightclubs, then perhaps that makes sense, but I don't see any reason why seated pubs and restaurants should remain closed that long (if that is the case, I guess nightclubs won't be coming for many more months)

Malta's high up on the table of vaccinations, over 5% of the population. Much better than Spain but only half the UK - Malta could be the first to open up fully to tourists when they get to, what, above 70% vaccinated?

If it was a full reopening in May, i.e. including nightclubs, then perhaps that makes sense, but I don't see any reason why seated pubs and restaurants should remain closed that long (if that is the case, I guess nightclubs won't be coming for many more months)
It's because schools _have_ to open first, even if that means everything is open later.

If that wasn't a political requirement, then other things could open start of April to a degree and schools later.

(Schools require very low community transmission otherwise we end up in another nov/dec scenario💁‍♂️)

First comment from me…. Over the past 12 months, I’ve sat and read over 600 pages on this forum...

I can honestly say, it is one of the few places online that guarantee intelligent discussion and insight around the pandemic. Even those comments that I categorically disagree with (and many on here do) are put forward in a fairly straight-thinking manner. This forum seems lucky enough to have escaped any real conspiracy pushers.

I work in healthcare (not front line) and it is interesting to see people’s differing views on what is / isn’t working. Most of the discussion here is sensible and has helped me remain sane over the past year. Anyway, just wanted to say hello and introduce myself to the conversation…

I have Ibiza booked on 11th July (1 day after my wedding) and I’m keeping faith in the vaccine rollout. I accept clubs reopening is a different topic, but I’m hopeful Spain will have reinstated general tourism by mid-Summer. (@stivi always appreciate your insight in what is happening "on the ground")

If we reach a point where vaccine rollout is good across the EU and hospitalisations are extremely low (see summer 2020), then maybe clubs can reopen earlier than I anticipate (given the risk of another wave is reduced significantly by the vaccination). Wishful thinking perhaps…
I’ve enjoyed the thread so much that I’ve commissioned an audio book.

Because being pampered really is the priority at a time like this >>>

On another note - sorry to lower the tone :lol: >>>

You see, the fine for that shop owner is not enough! Should be £10k the same as if you hold an illegal “Russell”

Apparently uk numbers are not falling as fast as they'd hoped.

Like said before, if schools have 50% of kids in, that would be why.

This in part due to expanded definition of "key workers" - if you can't provide a quiet environment for home schooling, then you can send them into school!

I think we are finally past the peak of the 3rd wave on the balearics. mallorca has been improving for a while already and ibiza and formentera also finally start looking more stable. we still have a huge incidence, but it's not growing anymore now and I hope things keep improving.

I'm sure restaurants etc will stay shut for another month still, but maybe by 1st march - balearics day - we'll be able to sit outside on terraces again. wishful thinking of course!

I think , it doesnt matter if its the 1 march or the 22 march. The main thing ist that we can see progress and the people can see : The hard measures are good for something , it makes sense. Moch more urgent is the vaccination progress in Europe.

Lol....let's DOUBLE mask, or no wait...let's TRIPLE mask. If that doesn't work...just stop breathing! o_O

Why is that amusing? Its just plain facts explained in a very simple way to try and help protect vulnerable people.

Masks wearing has always been about protecting each other through mass usage however you get very little protection from inhaling "virus contaminated" air" with a single ply mask.

Were looking at issuing certain areas of workplace with FFP3 masks to try and offer more protection such is the breakout were dealing with of the new strain.

Why is that amusing? Its just plain facts explained in a very simple way to try and help protect vulnerable people.

Masks wearing has always been about protecting each other through mass usage however you get very little protection from inhaling "virus contaminated" air" with a single ply mask.

Were looking at issuing certain areas of workplace with FFP3 masks to try and offer more protection such is the breakout were dealing with of the new strain.

for context Sietske Bergsma appears to be a hateful c u next Tuesday a la Katie Hopkins based on her other Twitter posts ... Trump loving etc. Right up certain peoples street

https://metro.co.uk/2021/01/28/germany-may-limit-oxford-covid-vaccine-to-under-65s-13981872/

Well, they don't need any for a while then do they ? They can wait a few weeks and get their evidence from the UK rollout and in the meantime muddle along trying to get by with Pfizer. They have so much catching up to do I'm sure they won't need vaccine for the under-65s for a good few weeks. We shouldn't be asked to divert UK supplies to Europe to vaccinate younger cohorts than we are vaccinating ourselves right now when they haven't even vaccinated priority groups yet !

Another judge in Germany who decides that one of the restrictions is unlawful and has ended this measure for now.
Although if my understanding is correct, it only affects a certain region in Germany and it has yet to be validated. On the other hand the article states that there is no room for legal objection?

for context Sietske Bergsma appears to be a hateful c u next Tuesday a la Katie Hopkins based on her other Twitter posts ... Trump loving etc. Right up certain peoples street
for context Sietske Bergsma is a promovendus in law, family and criminal lawyer, journalist/columnist, academic teacher at the University of Amsterdam and the University of Leiden and yeah....her political views are right-wing. That doesn't take away any credibility.

Also she just posts the video of Dr. Fauci advising to double or even triple mask, which to me is just plain ridiculous. But please everyone, if you wanna protect yourself wear as much masks or layers on top of each other as you wish.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back