☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
The government site has a measure for deaths within 28 and 60 days.
Yes I think this is part of the same number shown to include Covid on the death certificate

fact check here for all the deniers (not you @lee111s ) :

Anyone fail to notice that if you die more than 28 days after a COVID positive test (of Covid) then you are not included in the numbers which is why the ONS numbers for Covid mentioned on a death certificate are higher than the figure stated in the original “what a laugh this is post”... hey I’m all for questioning but people seem happy to jump in with the Covid deniers all too easily here and go conspiracy route rather than follow the actual logic.

another question ... did you actually go for a deep dive after your Covid recovery ? Because I would say that sounds pretty risky given the reported damage Covid can do to peoples lungs and if someone had died in that instance then Covid could indeed be a factor

Don't agree at all, sorry. It was a genuine question as the reading is a bit odd. I myself have never really understood why it's put across the way it is. As they say, the only silly question is one you don't ask.

As for diving. Yes I've dived. Been fine. 10k run fine. Obviously I understand it's far far worse for others.

One thing I'd like to add.

I haven't understood everything the government has done or said. I think their actions leave a lot of questions needing to be answered. Sometimes it has appeared things aren't adding up.

However this thread, although sometimes heated. Has actually been really informative. And some of the questions I myself have had in my little head. Have been answered. So for that it's been a real help.....

As it's also been said. Right now we're all in the same storm. Just not on the same boat......

You did not provide a source for Switzerland.
Don't you see how weak the discussion gets from comments like that?

I posted about thousands of restaurants opening up as mass civil disobedience in Italy. Pretty important news in the Coronavirus thread I would say. In the same sentence I mentioned Italy, Poland and Switzerland.
Then you jump on the fact that I don't have a source for Switzerland 🤣

This is what happens all the time and what makes this corona virus thread one-sided and not a nice place for people to vent a different opinion then the majority of you. If someone says: Mostly old people die from Covid, there's always someone to jump right in with their grandma as emotional argument..

But you're right, I did not provide a source for Switzerland. 👍 I did however provide multiple sources for what's happening or gonna happen in Italy and Poland. If you look at the demo's and riots in The Netherlands and the restaurants in Italy opening, we cannot deny things are heating up and lockdowns are taking too long for a growing group of people.

This has been quizzed a lot in the last couple of days, and it was clarified that 90% of deaths registered cite Covid as the CAUSE of death rather than just something which co-existed with other possible causes (i.e. deemed a contributing factor). So this is why dismissing the statistics as potentially materially overstated because coexistence or other factors might have been the actual cause of death rather than Covid doesn't change an objective appraisal of the impact of the disease on mortality numbers. .

Really good explainer thread on Twitter here:

The French evening curfew has shown little to no effect, says the Dutch national news channel.
Apparently they could monitor the effects cause some regions had a curfew from 18.00 and some from 20.00 o clock?
Now the French are thinking about even stricter measures.
That's the thinking pattern were in right now right? If it has no effect, let's make the measures even more strict.

The French evening curfew has shown little to no effect, says the Dutch national news channel.
Apparently they could monitor the effects cause some regions had a curfew from 18.00 and some from 20.00 o clock?
That's the thinking pattern were in right now right? If it has no effect, let's make the measures even more strict.

Well, something must be happening for covid to spread - it generally requires social interaction. Bumping up the measures in the UK has brought the infection level down. By reducing measures, you're certainly not going to stop the spread. Are French folk generally sticking to their rules?

What's confusing about that?

If a child doesn't improve their behaviour when you ground them for a day, you ground them for another day.

Really good explainer thread on Twitter here:

In this thread he's saying that lockdowns only caused deaths in really poor countries. He even says in rich countries lockdowns have only prevented covid deaths, but also other deaths such as accidents.
He seems to overlook the fact that it's a proven fact that losing your job, getting depressed, debts etc. takes of years of your life expectancy.
In time, a good evaluation about the years we have added to the life expectancy of the elderly VS the years of life expectancy we took from the young would be very interesting. It's not all about suicides.

Also this is what he says about the death cause:
As of Jan 8, 82,180 deaths in England named Covid-19 on death certificate. Of these, C-19 was *underlying cause* in 74,000, or 90%. These aren’t people who tested positive, recovered and then fell down stairs.

Ok, so the majority of covid deaths are actually covid deaths. I will go along with the argument that 10% might not be that significant to change the measures. However...it seems that 8.180 deaths have Covid-19 on their death certificate but actually it was not the cause?

He seems to overlook the fact that it's a proven fact that losing your job, getting depressed, debts etc. takes of years of your life expectancy.
In time, a good evaluation about the years we have added to the life expectancy of the elderly VS the years of life expectancy we took from the young would be very interesting. It's not all about suicides.
I was unemployed for a year once - not sure that in itself would take a year off your life. If, as a society, we treat unemployed people decently - give them benefits, give them hope/training so as they keep a healthy outlook on life, I'm not sure why a spell of unemployment in itself would shorten your life.

I was unemployed for a year once - not sure that in itself would take a year off your life. If, as a society, we treat unemployed people decently - give them benefits, give them hope/training so as they keep a healthy outlook on life, I'm not sure why a spell of unemployment in itself would shorten your life.
Good how it worked out for you individually, I'm just quoting scientific research on what unemployment, needing financial aid, stress etc does to your life expectancy on average. I have posted it here before.

Good how it worked out for you individually, I'm just quoting scientific research on what unemployment, needing financial aid, stress etc does to your life expectancy on average. I have posted it here before.

And yet there's an increasing amount of discussion around universal basic income...

This explains why some U.S. officials were wearing two masks during recent press conferences - I thought they were mad, but it seems they were just following the advice from the top expert 🤣

I doubt his reasoning though - no mask fits perfectly, wearing too many mask layers means the air you exhale will likely go out unfiltered between the mask and the face.

Good thing mass vaccination is around the corner - because the government reaction to the pandemic gets more and more stupid, with the effort counting more than the result. And I am not a Covid sceptic - I wore masks before they became mandatory :(

In this thread he's saying that lockdowns only caused deaths in really poor countries. He even says in rich countries lockdowns have only prevented covid deaths, but also other deaths such as accidents.

Also this is what he says about the death cause:
As of Jan 8, 82,180 deaths in England named Covid-19 on death certificate. Of these, C-19 was *underlying cause* in 74,000, or 90%. These aren’t people who tested positive, recovered and then fell down stairs.

Ok, so the majority of covid deaths are actually covid deaths. I will go along with the argument that 10% might not be that significant to change the measures. However...it seems that 8.180 deaths have Covid-19 on their death certificate but actually it was not the cause?
Did you even read his thread?

The point is that, irrefutably, lockdown saves lives. You can argue about reduced life expectancy from an enforced lockdown, but I'll tell you what reduces your life expetancy more: Covid.

The 10% that don't have Covid-19 listed as a main cause of Covid will likely be people who had a severe underlying condition or were already ill - and Covid has sadly exacerbated those issues.

I don't see why that's amusing? He clearly says if you have a single layer mask - the one's that I use are double layer - if you look up some of the surgical standard masks you'll see they have multiple layers?
The tricky part is, the more mask layers you have, the trickier it is to push air through all these layers, and thus a higher % of the air will instead go out unfiltered between the face and the mask.

So "more and more layers" isn't always the best solution.

And where are the numbers? Covid-19 has been around for a year now, and it has been known for 10 months that it spreads through aerosols (the Japanese found it out on that cruise ship back in March and changed their protocols accordingly). It should be very well known by now how different kinds of masks filter out specifically this virus - why sudden makeshift solutions so late in the game?

Okay, the US has been in denial until the orange fool was gone, but it's shocking how little research has been done in Europe. And what little research had been done, has been often ignored by our decision makers. The German government was still spreading lies in November that schools were not Covid-19 spreading grounds - despite school teachers being the profession with the highest Covid-19 sickness rate, and despite research published in May(!!) showing that closing schools was by far the most effective measure against the virus spread - WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back