☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not debating people dying from Covid. I know.
Just the way the deaths are counted surprised me. Even after giving it some thought, I think this is not how we should use statistics for such a drastic policy.
From what I can read this way if measuring is just quicker bit numbers end up closely matching cause of death on death certificates

It's not something I'm interested in and would avoid discussion on as seems a bit irrelevant to me. We know millions dying so?

From what I can read this way if measuring is just quicker bit numbers end up closely matching cause of death on death certificates

It's not something I'm interested in and would avoid discussion on as seems a bit irrelevant to me. We know millions dying so?
Okay then Hally, how many more deaths are you seeing/have you seen more than normal in your hospital?
Have the majority these deaths involved “accident” or unlawful killing maybe? Or is it Covid?

Said with mild sarcasm

How many people in all honesty do you think are unlucky enough to catch COVID, and then die of something else within 28 days? Or what metric should we use? We know that COVID may not be the main reason, but a contributor to someone dying but I am not sure how you ascertain that with 100k deaths? We can't carry out in depth post mortems on all of them surely

I've absolutely no idea how many people have died of something else within 28 days. It's a statistic I thought the Government might have been looking to decipher. They haven't. So I asked the question incase I'm missing something glaringly obvious. Because to the medically untrained, typical guy off the street. It makes slightly odd reading in my opinion.

However. Having read your response. It would appear to 100% clarify a cause of death is simply too time consuming? Given the lack of man power in the NHS? And is quicker to put Covid-19 on death certificate to free up resource?

I also appreciate the point that if it was actually 95,000 instead of a 100,000. Does that really matter? It doesn't. A terribly high number still.

Can someone explain is? Again genuine question......

I had virus November. And had I f@cked up a deep dive 1 month after. I would have gone down as a covid statistic. When infact it would have been the dive profile which would have been the problem....

This has been quizzed a lot in the last couple of days, and it was clarified that 90% of deaths registered cite Covid as the CAUSE of death rather than just something which co-existed with other possible causes (i.e. deemed a contributing factor). So this is why dismissing the statistics as potentially materially overstated because coexistence or other factors might have been the actual cause of death rather than Covid doesn't change an objective appraisal of the impact of the disease on mortality numbers. .

On another note, and I’ve mentioned this in the past few weeks; lots of vehicle on the Motorways during commuter hours.
Other than not being able to go for a Pickled Egg and a Pint or going to visit your Aunty Mary, how are the UK actually locked down?

On another note, and I’ve mentioned this in the past few weeks; lots of vehicle on the Motorways during commuter hours.
Other than not being able to go for a Pickled Egg and a Pint or going to visit your Aunty Mary, how are the UK actually locked down?
To add to that, people are frustrated with the constant change to rules (54 changes since last March). The biggest fear is the unknown for most, ask any anxiety sufferer!

Lack of contingency planning has lead to this in the UK. Trying to please all of the people all of the time doesn’t help either.

It took 72 days for Wuhan to get back to normal!

Govnts needed to show some balls and done a proper proper lockdown. No trips to click and collect at Next, no fckn KFC Deliveroo, no “nipping” to buy a car 200 miles away........

Soft as sh1t the UK are

Last edited:
Okay then Hally, how many more deaths are you seeing/have you seen more than normal in your hospital?
Have the majority these deaths involved “accident” or unlawful killing maybe? Or is it Covid?

Said with mild sarcasm
You're lucky it's not and 11pm and I'm pissed or youd have got a long and serious answer

This has been quizzed a lot in the last couple of days, and it was clarified that 90% of deaths registered cite Covid as the CAUSE of death rather than just something which co-existed with other possible causes (i.e. deemed a contributing factor). So this is why dismissing the statistics as potentially materially overstated because coexistence or other factors might have been the actual cause of death rather than Covid doesn't change an objective appraisal of the impact of the disease on mortality numbers. .

So would not a finer breakdown of statistics work better for the government? As in 90,000 have died directly of Covid-19 with 10,000 more dieing with Covid-19 as a possible contributing factor?

That way simpletons like myself wouldn't look at the statement under the death figure and think " For any reason within 28 days of positive test? That's doesn't sound right"

Also apologies to anyone who is offended by me using mathematics in relation to a high death count.

I was simply trying to ascertain the use of sentence on government count.

I've absolutely no idea how many people have died of something else within 28 days. It's a statistic I thought the Government might have been looking to decipher. They haven't. So I asked the question incase I'm missing something glaringly obvious. Because to the medically untrained, typical guy off the street. It makes slightly odd reading in my opinion.

However. Having read your response. It would appear to 100% clarify a cause of death is simply too time consuming? Given the lack of man power in the NHS? And is quicker to put Covid-19 on death certificate to free up resource?

I also appreciate the point that if it was actually 95,000 instead of a 100,000. Does that really matter? It doesn't. A terribly high number still.
Death Certificates are still completed as normal with primary and contributory causes of death. Covid as primary cause matches pretty well with the death figures you see as far as I am aware

The within 28 days is used as its quicker to collect for the daily updates.

You're lucky it's not and 11pm and I'm pissed or youd have got a long and serious answer
Come on, you must have had loads in who had died in car accidents, ladder falls, mid coitus heart attacks!

Ps. I’m on your side👍

Death Certificates are still completed as normal with primary and contributory causes of death. Covid as primary cause matches pretty well with the death figures you see as far as I am aware

The within 28 days is used as its quicker to collect for the daily updates.

Much appreciated. Answers my question perfectly

My commute up to London every Monday is getting busier.

The only people locked down are Small, Independent retail and hospitality. Everywhere else seems open. I'd also say, the pubs in Weymouth were actually safer interms of social distancing than the supermarkets before they had to close again. They were very strict with numbers, masks and staying seated.

Real progress in the UK right now, new cases declining at just under 30%/week; but deaths and hospital admissions showing no sign of retreating. That WILL happen though as the lack of cases filters through.

I'm expecting some easing in March, and if the new cases are around the figures of last June then we might be looking at a summer in the UK similar to last. As long as they are careful when sending the kids back.

Spain's 7-day average of new cases is still rising as are deaths. 😢 Really need to get their act together quickly if they are to have a summer season.

Real progress in the UK right now, new cases declining at just under 30%/week; but deaths and hospital admissions showing no sign of retreating. That WILL happen though as the lack of cases filters through.

I'm expecting some easing in March, and if the new cases are around the figures of last June then we might be looking at a summer in the UK similar to last. As long as they are careful when sending the kids back.
Admissions are definitely starting to drop

Anyone fail to notice that if you die more than 28 days after a COVID positive test (of Covid) then you are not included in the numbers which is why the ONS numbers for Covid mentioned on a death certificate are higher than the figure stated in the original “what a laugh this is post”... hey I’m all for questioning but people seem happy to jump in with the Covid deniers all too easily here and go conspiracy route rather than follow the actual logic.

another question ... did you actually go for a deep dive after your Covid recovery ? Because I would say that sounds pretty risky given the reported damage Covid can do to peoples lungs and if someone had died in that instance then Covid could indeed be a factor

Anyone fail to notice that if you die more than 28 days after a COVID positive test (of Covid) then you are not included in the numbers which is why the ONS numbers for Covid mentioned on a death certificate are higher than the figure stated in the original “what a laugh this is post”... hey I’m all for questioning but people seem happy to jump in with the Covid deniers all too easily here and go conspiracy route rather than follow the actual logic.

another question ... did you actually go for a deep dive after your Covid recovery ? Because I would say that sounds pretty risky given the reported damage Covid can do to peoples lungs and if someone had died in that instance then Covid could indeed be a factor
The government site has a measure for deaths within 28 and 60 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back