☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
now starting to see the deaths pilling up. (Excess deaths are now on rise again)

Are they? I suppose that's the reason for my question really. I'd seen something about standard flu and pneumonia death rates being lower than normal as if covid deaths had just replaced those ones. I wonder what will happen in say 6 months time if the cases are extremely high like they are predicting, but deaths remain relatively low? Thanks for the explanation.

Are they? I suppose that's the reason for my question really. I'd seen something about standard flu and pneumonia death rates being lower than normal as if covid deaths had just replaced those ones. I wonder what will happen in say 6 months time if the cases are extremely high like they are predicting, but deaths remain relatively low? Thanks for the explanation.
Flu and pneumonia likely to be lower with increased uptake of the flu vaccine and social distancing, etc. However overall Covid is going to kill a hell of lot more than a really, really bad flu season

I will be amazed if deaths are low between now and March (I won't say remain as they arent low now in the UK). Hospitals are now getting the admissions from the high numbers of positive cases over the last month. So far survivability is higher but Covid is still killing a substantial proportion of those admitted with it.

The feeling here is it wont ever get as horrific as March but will last months rather than weeks

The ways things are going on the continent, I can't imagine a scenario where the UK isn't all tier 3/lockdowned soon. The government pulled the trigger too late in March. How are they going to react second time around?

I do think there will be attempts to keep the economy trickling along now that businesses are prepared, but it's going to be a long winter

Flu and pneumonia likely to be lower with increased uptake of the flu vaccine and social distancing, etc. However overall Covid is going to kill a hell of lot more than a really, really bad flu season

I will be amazed if deaths are low between now and March (I won't say remain as they arent low now in the UK). Hospitals are now getting the admissions from the high numbers of positive cases over the last month. So far survivability is higher but Covid is still killing a substantial proportion of those admitted with it.

The feeling here is it wont ever get as horrific as March but will last months rather than weeks

Are you sure covid is going to kill a lot more than Flu , 50,000 excess deaths in 2017/18 seems to indicate that a lot of this is flu deaths and thats with a (ineffective) vaccine?

Last edited:
Are you sure covid is going to kill a lot more than Flu , 50,000 excess deaths in 2017/18 seems to indicate that a lot of this is flu deaths and thats with a (ineffective) vaccine?

Goes to show how bad things can be without an effective vaccine. Covid probs worse than flu due to the weird long covid and other ways it affects the body which is different from seasonal flu.

Also depending on how you calc the stats, covid has killed between 45k - 65k people already. Still not reached winter months yet. ?

Attachments

• 20201029_181412.jpg
    20201029_181412.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 12
Back on topic (sadly) most of North Yorkshire been put into tier 3 now. Surely it’s a matter of time before we’re all there?

Back on topic (sadly) most of North Yorkshire been put into tier 3 now. Surely it’s a matter of time before we’re all there?
Suspect so. Sad thing is even tier 3 they don't think will reduce the prevalence, just slow the increase or "hold" it at the current levels.

Guess need to find myself a bubble buddy ??

someone at work sent me this. if you're A/ UK-based and B/ work at home you might be able to claim a few quid back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back