☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back home to the UK after a month or so working away overseas.

Transited back through Schiphol in Holland on Monday night. Social distancing was no bother here, place was totally dead. Was the same on the way out. Was really surreal. The place is usually manic. Was hardly even any aeroplanes there. Newcastle airport too, more staff than passengers (Greggs was open though ?)

Less than 20 people on my KLM flight, each way. My baggage was at the carousel before me.

Had to get a Covid test before I could travel onward and start work. Don’t know if anyone else has had one yet, feels great when they ram the rod up your nose ?

Usually if we are transiting through Holland on our way home we will pop into Amsterdam for a schmoke and a pancake ;) Some kind of tight curfews going on in the Netherlands currently, so we didn't bother. Was hard enough getting a bevvie in the airport.

Spoke to the staff at one of the few places that were open in the airport and sadly they told us they are all getting paid off soon. Gutted for them. They seamed pretty upbeat about it though, I think the Dutch benefit system helps them out at times like this.

Randomly the memories on my facebook took me to 2016. I was actually transiting through Schiphol on the very same calendar date and it just happened to coincide with the ADE ending. The airport was full of jaw swinging ravers heading home after what looked like a mega time in the 'Dam. I'd wrote an envious status wishing I was in the same state.

I had no TV when I was away and very limited WiFi, so haven’t really kept up with current affairs much (Still checked into this forum though. World is burning burning and I’m reading about Ibiza ?‍♂️?) seams like not a great deal of progress has been made, this so called second wave is running through like a boss.

I try not to pin my hopes on certain things too much, as I don't like to trip myself up into disappointment, but I'm really hoping the vaccines can make a difference for us all in 2021 ?

Moderate it and delete them?

Its very hard not to mention it all. It comes into the discussion of what events will be on, when does the season start (and finish), the price of flights and hotels, whether local busnisses will survive, will San An change...pretty much all the main topics.

Even new music is disrupted as major artists are delaying releases as they cant promote.

Agree that a few people need to calm the f down though!

Just got back home to the UK after a month or so working away overseas.

Transited back through Schiphol in Holland on Monday night. Social distancing was no bother here, place was totally dead. Was the same on the way out. Was really surreal. The place is usually manic. Was hardly even any aeroplanes there. Newcastle airport too, more staff than passengers (Greggs was open though ?)

Less than 20 people on my KLM flight, each way. My baggage was at the carousel before me.

Had to get a Covid test before I could travel onward and start work. Don’t know if anyone else has had one yet, feels great when they ram the rod up your nose ?

Usually if we are transiting through Holland on our way home we will pop into Amsterdam for a schmoke and a pancake ;) Some kind of tight curfews going on in the Netherlands currently, so we didn't bother. Was hard enough getting a bevvie in the airport.

Spoke to the staff at one of the few places that were open in the airport and sadly they told us they are all getting paid off soon. Gutted for them. They seamed pretty upbeat about it though, I think the Dutch benefit system helps them out at times like this.

Randomly the memories on my facebook took me to 2016. I was actually transiting through Schiphol on the very same calendar date and it just happened to coincide with the ADE ending. The airport was full of jaw swinging ravers heading home after what looked like a mega time in the 'Dam. I'd wrote an envious status wishing I was in the same state.

I had no TV when I was away and very limited WiFi, so haven’t really kept up with current affairs much (Still checked into this forum though. World is burning burning and I’m reading about Ibiza ?‍♂️?) seams like not a great deal of progress has been made, this so called second wave is running through like a boss.

I try not to pin my hopes on certain things too much, as I don't like to trip myself up into disappointment, but I'm really hoping the vaccines can make a difference for us all in 2021 ?

Frankfurt Airport looks dead too.
Never seen this. Strange times

Frankfurt Airport looks dead too.
I guess you didn't see FRA back in April - THAT was dead! Only a dozen or so flights for a whole day, they didn't even fill the entire departure board.

Now it at least feels like an airport - albeit a rather empty one.

Still undecided whether to fly to Catania for 2 days tomorrow... the flights are going ahead, there is no quarantine in both directions, the weather should be fine, but will it be fun?

Personally I would wind the thread up now. What hasn't already been said? Otherwise it just gets bitter and emotional and achieves what? If you can't persuade people then it's just headbanging. (yes am guilty too)

It might be more useful if people instead shared tips on staying positive, keeping morale up, ways of coping. Also how to best support the music scene and the industries which are most devastated. I thought that Music Walk of Fame debate in IBZ a few weeks back was really interesting. where do we go from here. Well worth a watch if anyone missed it.

covid will still 'entertain' us for a while and hopefully soon we will be able to share links to positive news re vaccines, therapeutics and so forth. I totally disagree to closing the thread

I guess you didn't see FRA back in April - THAT was dead! Only a dozen or so flights for a whole day, they didn't even fill the entire departure board.

Now it at least feels like an airport - albeit a rather empty one.

Still undecided whether to fly to Catania for 2 days tomorrow... the flights are going ahead, there is no quarantine in both directions, the weather should be fine, but will it be fun?

Was there because a Covid Test. My Company wants it. Was no Problem , but expensive. 215 E is not less.
90 E is only the Antibody Test.

covid will still 'entertain' us for a while and hopefully soon we will be able to share links to positive news re vaccines, therapeutics and so forth. I totally disagree to closing the thread
The media has been full of stories about possible vaccinations, what they might do and who will get them first. However as I understand, there are still several trials throughout the world, and the scientists say that they may only work partially, or may need frequent repeating, or that they might just relieve the symptoms so people aren't as ill. I'll take that last one, happily. If they can control the number of serious cases in hospitals, and control deaths to the bare minimum, that would give some beathing space and perhaps a bit of normality while betetr vaccines are developed.

Us mere laymen shoudl remember that vaccines take years and years, and that if they can produce one that works in 12 months is going some!!

Next year and Ibiza? Crystal Ball Gazing Time; Well, I can see it happening if vaccines work that they let you fly (and enter/depart Spain) if you have had the vaccine - and that might mean taking it privately if you aren't on the "at risk" list and the NHS does it for you. Might also be a condition of your travel insurance. So immigration at Ibiza may have to check your passports, insurance and vaccination certificate. Which will take time. That'sf rom the UK; they may have to re-introduce checks on domestic and EU travellers too to ensure even the Spanish have had the vaccine if they want to go to an island. Freedom of movement may well take a back-seat in 2021 as it has in 2020.

What would complicate things is if the vaccine only reduces the illness, not makes you clear and unable to pass it on.

Fair enough if people still find it useful. I probably misjudged the mood. Not my forum and not for me to preach. (feel the back pedal!)

I stick by my second comment though. I'd be interested to know how people are coping. Quietly getting wasted at home or actually doing stuff? I've only seen my friends here a dozen times or so since all this began. It's been really hard. I've got wasted twice since February (excluding marathon wine sessions at the weekends). So we've tried to use the time to be creative. My gf and I have been writing a book together, also learning to cook estofadas (Spanish stews) and I want to get into making music (if anyone's gone down that road?). I was always a bit wary of self-help guides and positive thinking advice but maybe time to rethink that too?

Fair enough if people still find it useful. I probably misjudged the mood. Not my forum and not for me to preach. (feel the back pedal!)

I stick by my second comment though. I'd be interested to know how people are coping. Quietly getting wasted at home or actually doing stuff? I've only seen my friends here a dozen times or so since all this began. It's been really hard. I've got wasted twice since February (excluding marathon wine sessions at the weekends). So we've tried to use the time to be creative. My gf and I have been writing a book together, also learning to cook estofadas (Spanish stews) and I want to get into making music (if anyone's gone down that road?). I was always a bit wary of self-help guides and positive thinking advice but maybe time to rethink that too?
Working, working out and getting wasted. Probably not healthy but its got me this far!!

I stick by my second comment though. I'd be interested to know how people are coping. Quietly getting wasted at home or actually doing stuff?
I am lucky that my profession (IT) allows work from home - was this way even before Covid.

Apart from work, video sessions with friends/relatives help a lot - lots of them are in the same situation. You can have a meal and drink wine together this way - it's a pretty good replacement for actually meeting people. For example, I was at my uncle's virtual birthday back in Spring, saw some people on Zoom I haven't met since my childhood.

Listen to online DJ sessions of course - while this isn't an actual club experience, it beats just sitting at home staring at the walls.

Learning to cook is a good opportunity, although I have to say my cooking hasn't improved much during the first lockdown (my favorite restaurants offering meals for takeout are to blame I suppose).

My alcohol consumption actually went down this year, since I mostly drink alcohol when going out.

So just try making the best out of it. If you have unexpected free time, maybe try learning some new skills, maybe a new language?

We've had this happen this week.☹️ And sadly it won't be the last..

Perhaps not a coping mechanism per se, but to while the hours away I shredded payslips backdated 2005-2009. Doesnt sound like much, but I was weekly paid! And they were too thick for the machine to do in one go, so each one needed to be separated into 3 parts. Killed a few hours

Regarding helping the industry, prior to the arts funding I'd been supporting various venues and promoters through their crowd funding. Got some lovely new merch via it. Secretsundaze, Village Underground/EartH and The Cause are a few I donated too. Haven't needed to go clothes shopping this summer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back