☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were a US citizen I would probably not vote on Biden.
I'm not saying I'm a Trump-fan and he could probably have handled the Covid-approach at the start better, but at least he sees the importance of the balance between the Covid measures and the economy, mental health and other healthcare of his citizens.

If you think Trump cares about the average American, you're nutty as squirrel shit. Just sayin. ;)

If you think Trump cares about the average American, you're nutty as squirrel shit.
I don't think he cares about anything but himself. But he's just the face of the current gov there. He will get four more years and the Democrats have not even put effort in choosing a strong candidate because they KNOW 9 out of 10 presidents get their 4 more years and then that candidate is wasted. Trump hasn't done anything world shocking yet and because he wants to go into the books as the "peaceful savior of the USA" with noble prices for reuniting longterm enemies...I don't think he will do anything world shocking in the four years to come.
Just like Putin he's rushing a non-working vaccine out before the elections..just to say that he made America great again.
I agree with you, he's a nutcase...but I'm not too worried about him. So again, not a Trump-fan...but the alternative isn't that great either.

I don't think he cares about anything but himself. But he's just the face of the current gov there. He will get four more years and the Democrats have not even put effort in choosing a strong candidate because they KNOW 9 out of 10 presidents get their 4 more years and then that candidate is wasted. Trump hasn't done anything world shocking yet and because he wants to go into the books as the "peaceful savior of the USA" with noble prices for reuniting longterm enemies...I don't think he will do anything world shocking in the four years to come.
Just like Putin he's rushing a non-working vaccine out before the elections..just to say that he made America great again.
I agree with you, he's a nutcase...but I'm not too worried about him. So again, not a Trump-fan...but the alternative isn't that great either.

Biden is a shockingly bad opponent, but still better than Trump. Did you see Trump's comments on climate change/the climate emergency yesterday? The world can't afford 4 more years of that bullshit.

Seems something fishy about the UK testing issues. Gov said its staff shortages at the gov run labs. Just seen on ch4 news talking to guy who set one of them up, who said not short staffed but running at their 30k per day capacity.

Then there are new test centres setup in Bolton, but no one using them as you can't book them via site. But gov said capacity moved to hot spots that why less in other areas.

Either there is a problem else where, eg not enough test kit materials or transport issues, or the number of people wanting a test is a lot more than the 206k a day the gov is saying it is. (Capacity is around 245k).

Or perhaps when it was working "fine" only a fraction of the theoretical capacity was been used.

??‍♂️

Yeah saw on twitter that is seems to be an issue with the processing of them in the labs. Each test at 40-45 cycles takes approx 4 hours to run (each cycle is about 4 minutes).

I wonder if one part of the solution will be to reduce the cycle number down to the recommended 30. Would save an hour per test. Times that by hundreds of thousands and it’s a big win and would increase the amount of tests to be processed by around 25%?

Yeah saw on twitter that is seems to be an issue with the processing of them in the labs. Each test at 40-45 cycles takes approx 4 hours to run (each cycle is about 4 minutes).

I wonder if one part of the solution will be to reduce the cycle number down to the recommended 30. Would save an hour per test. Times that by hundreds of thousands and it’s a big win and would increase the amount of tests to be processed by around 25%?
Defo would help for sure, but also the boss of Heathrow said private labs have spare capacity that Heathrow could use for travelers.

So perhaps the private lighthouse labs they setup are fine (no idea why they decided to make them private instead of public institutions) but in themselves don't have enough capacity.

Was a select committee thing from near the start where gov said decided to go with a few centralised test centres (the lighthouses) and prev gov health minister asked why on earth choose that route instead of using many smaller labs that already exist. He didn't get an answer to that other than vague 'logistical reasons' ?‍♂️

The faster 90 min tests that are been trialled could be a game changer.

One thing is sure, if 200k+ people are getting tests a day in the uk (with many more unable to) and 20 million tested to date, only another 6 months until whole country tested ??

Back in April

And recently

So some conjecture that the private labs might be long term planned to replace the NHS labs... wouldn't surprise me, Cummings and that lot want to privatise it as much as possible. #tinFoilHat ?

Defo would help for sure, but also the boss of Heathrow said private labs have spare capacity that Heathrow could use for travelers.

So perhaps the private lighthouse labs they setup are fine (no idea why they decided to make them private instead of public institutions) but in themselves don't have enough capacity.

Was a select committee thing from near the start where gov said decided to go with a few centralised test centres (the lighthouses) and prev gov health minister asked why on earth choose that route instead of using many smaller labs that already exist. He didn't get an answer to that other than vague 'logistical reasons' ?‍♂️

The faster 90 min tests that are been trialled could be a game changer.

One thing is sure, if 200k+ people are getting tests a day in the uk (with many more unable to) and 20 million tested to date, only another 6 months until whole country tested ??

Cash for their pals no doubt comes into it.

The quick tests will only be a win IMO if they’re more accurate than the current version AND only pick up live virus. Dead, shedded virus RNA cannot continue to to be used as a barometer for restrictions.

Cash for their pals no doubt comes into it.

The quick tests will only be a win IMO if they’re more accurate than the current version AND only pick up live virus. Dead, shedded virus RNA cannot continue to to be used as a barometer for restrictions.
The same quality test but 2x faster would be good, the 20 min one fantastic if it pans out.

As for live vs dead virus, apparently that is really slow to do (have to culture it and see if it grows, and even then not 100% definitive), but never know what will come up with in next 6 months.

Basically it looks like tried setting up privatisation of test system via back door, claimed had x amount of capacity but it doesn't. (NHS test is doing around 100-120k per day, lighthouses can't keep up with their alleged capacity, liar liars pants on fire ??)

Cadena Ser radio update:

Crisis coronavirus. Las nuevas restricciones de movilidad anunciadas por el Govern Balear afectarán a la zona de Ibiza Centro en Vila y a la mayor parte del casco urbano de Sant Antoni.
Las medidas comenzarán aplicarse este viernes a partir de las 22 horas y se mantendrán al menos durante quince días.

Wouldn't this reduce the sensitivity, meaning less people in early stages of infection would be detected?

Here in Germany, testing is pooled. Samples from multiple people are being mixed together in order to conserve capacity. If the result is negative, it means all these persons are negative. If the result is positive, a second test (based on the same samples) is performed in order to find out exactly who is positive.

I was in Mallorca on Sunday, got tested at the airport on return around 10pm, and got my (negative) test result at 6pm the next day. So it's far from an "immediate" result, but there is enough test capacity at the present to test everyone who needs it.

Wouldn't this reduce the sensitivity, meaning less people in early stages of infection would be detected?

Here in Germany, testing is pooled. Samples from multiple people are being mixed together in order to conserve capacity. If the result is negative, it means all these persons are negative. If the result is positive, a second test (based on the same samples) is performed in order to find out exactly who is positive.

I was in Mallorca on Sunday, got tested at the airport on return around 10pm, and got my (negative) test result at 6pm the next day. So it's far from an "immediate" result, but there is enough test capacity at the present to test everyone who needs it.
Possibly but it’s a double edged sword, claiming people are “positive” when they were infected 6 weeks ago isn’t doing anyone any favours.

Biden is a shockingly bad opponent, but still better than Trump. Did you see Trump's comments on climate change/the climate emergency yesterday? The world can't afford 4 more years of that bullshit.

I did.

But have you also seen what happened in the White House today? It's more than historical but most of Europe press rather keeps ridiculing, criticizing and blame Trump for things that would have happened under a democratic president too, like BLM or the California fires.
In the Netherlands it's really cool and virtuous to say Trump is bad for the USA and the world....but is he really? I'm curious to see how we look back on him in a few years.

I’m not an NHS working in the UK. However, a few years of lurking and using this forum for its invaluable insight, I have found my voice as I thought this was quite appropriate for you. See you all in another decade or so, hopefully.
View attachment 10347
I'm very happy I gave you a voice after years....but do some better lurking about what the discussion has been about next time before you come with your mask propaganda.

I'm very happy I gave you a voice after years....but do some better lurking about what the discussion has been about next time before you come with your mask propaganda.
Yes, I have been lurking here for many years. It’s not that you gave me a voice (sorry, no credit there either), I am just less than keen to push forward my views to strangers on social media. However, you are quite dangerous so I felt compelled to do so.

I could have done some better lurking but you are clogging up multiple threads with your inane drivel about every subject you choose to post about. So, I will bring forward my 2030 post.

I don’t know about the Netherlands, but suggesting UK nurses or any (most) public sector workers are or ever will align to a Conservative government propaganda line is beyond ludicrous.

While I’m here, and I know this has been suggested to you several times, you need to take off your tin foil hat and get some education old chap, before it’s too late for you or someone you are close to. For some of us it’s well beyond that point unfortunately, in my case several time’s over. You maybe a brain donor, but I suspect you are a Covid time bomb waiting to go off if your behaviours match your opinions.

See you in 2040, I hope.

Last edited:
But have you also seen what happened in the White House today? It's more than historical but most of Europe press rather keeps ridiculing, criticizing and blame Trump for things that would have happened under a democratic president too, like BLM or the California fires.

True these would have happened under the Dems too. It's Trump's reaction to these issues that is the problem - his unwillingness to address them (in fact, to potentially inflame situations), his denial of science, his deflection of blame.

here are the areas that will be confined from friday night onwards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back