Cocoon20 - Discussion thread

I think the crowd surf thing happened once before, around 2015 maybe, there's a good video of it on YouTube.
I was holding his legs on Monday lol. I was talking to him at benimussa he is mamanger of ants or something like that.

so...with a bit of delay, here are a few thoughts of mine.

I think between the lines people could read that this summer, cocoon had a few amazing dates, but also some underwhelming ones for me personally. but the last four shows - sven at underground, kraftwerk at ushuaïa, sven all night long at amnesia and now the closing party and its afters, those four parties were all truly amazing in its own right.

as for the closing party, as I'd said beforehand, even if the music was really good at amnesia, sven did hold back on the pearls a little, but played other fantastic stuff - which I loved because I had been of the opinion that during the summer, his sets had been too samey. also nice to see that this year he did play an encore at amnesia after people refused to leave the club - it's something I've not seen in years!

as for the crowsurf thing at amnesia:

Wait, @stivi did you start this???

I'm not the guy who 'started' this, but both in 2015 and this year I was involved (carrying aaron across the terrace, holding him from underneath). he's a good friend of mine and suddenly he came and said 'oi guys, I think it's time we repeat this and a few seconds later we were underway'.

then the afters were brilliant again. such great music, such a friendly atmosphere. this year more than ever people came and said hi. for future reference, no matter how much I'm into my music, I'll never get pissed off if anyone comes saying hi. don't be surprised though if I can't remember your face right away, it's got nothing to do with the state I'm in, but I am good with remembering names and such, but I very often need to see people twice until I can remember the face to the name (I've always been like that). anyway, great to see you all again out in force! I think it's the event where most spotlight forum members congregate every season.

we did leave the afters before they finished, I think it was around 3am when my wife and a friend couldn't hack it anymore and so we called it a day...but then again we'd been going for more than 24hrs by that time.

without further ado, and unsurprisingly, these were my favourite 24hrs of the season, period. there are still some good parties to come, but I don't think this can be topped.

oh and as for people thinking this was it for cocoon....naaaah. more on this soon. not SO soon though.

Back home and well-rested enough to give my thoughts on this too...

Our group arrived at Amnesia and queued just shortly before midnight as we wanted to experience the entire party start to finish with Sven both opening and closing. Queues were already large by this time and we knew it was going to be both a busy and special night.

Contrary to what some others have said our group thought that both of Sven sets were excellent, particularly the second one where he really started hammering it. I've always particularly enjoyed Sven's 'all night long' sets because it's rare you get to see him warming the night up and IMO he is a true master craftsman of this part of the night too and really had Amnesia rocking early doors.

Our group also enjoyed the vast majority of Peggy Gou's set, although she did lose us a little towards the end. I thought this booking made perfect sense for Cocoon - she was quite widely acknowledged as one of the best guests last season and was clearly going to get punters through the door as she is very popular at the moment. The only small gripe is the sort of crowd she did attract - there were far more English people at Cocoon than I have ever seen before and far more people recording on their phones during her set than you would usually see at Cocoon, but still far less than other events.

Amnesia itself was the busiest I've personally seen it in some time - always pockets of room to dance but both rooms full from front to back and a great atmosphere.

Similar to @OllieNotts above I have to give a special mention to Ricardo Tobar's 'Nadivi'. Both at Amnesia and Benimussa it was a truly incredible moment to hear this record played

We left Amnesia at the end... taxi back to the hotel for a few hours of chilling, quick shower, food and a taxi to Benimussa Park for just after 4PM...

Once again Cocoon delivers my season highlight with the closing after hours - this event alone would have me flying out every season without fail. In every single aspect - musically, vibe, crowd it just delivers without fail like no other party I've ever attended. We stayed until the outside shut at 11PM as the majority of our group wanted to leave but we enjoyed every minute of Sven's set here. Personally, it was my first time at Benimussa Park and I was hugely impressed by the venue. It was also nice to see a few of you from here across the last few days again.

My personal thoughts, in summary, are that this season seems to have been a successful one for Cocoon and that the combination of a return to Amnesia and going bi-weekly with the parties is a working formula that I hope (and believe) will continue. When you see the pure happiness and joy on Sven's face and how much he clearly loves what he does, you really cannot see an end to Cocoon in the foreseeable future.

Anyone seen any footage of the little speech Sven made at the end? Remember him confirming Cocoon would be back and laughing while saying another 20 years, but the rest is a touch blurry.

as for the crowsurf thing at amnesia:

I'm not the guy who 'started' this, but both in 2015 and this year I was involved (carrying aaron across the terrace, holding him from underneath). he's a good friend of mine and suddenly he came and said 'oi guys, I think it's time we repeat this and a few seconds later we were underway'.

then the afters were brilliant again. such great music, such a friendly atmosphere. this year more than ever people came and said hi. for future reference, no matter how much I'm into my music, I'll never get pissed off if anyone comes saying hi. don't be surprised though if I can't remember your face right away, it's got nothing to do with the state I'm in, but I am good with remembering names and such, but I very often need to see people twice until I can remember the face to the name (I've always been like that). anyway, great to see you all again out in force! I think it's the event where most spotlight forum members congregate every season.

we did leave the afters before they finished, I think it was around 3am when my wife and a friend couldn't hack it anymore and so we called it a day...but then again we'd been going for more than 24hrs by that time.

without further ado, and unsurprisingly, these were my favourite 24hrs of the season, period. there are still some good parties to come, but I don't think this can be topped.

oh and as for people thinking this was it for cocoon....naaaah. more on this soon. not SO soon though.

Ha! This is legendary. Love it.

And yeah that was the busiest Cocoon I’ve been to since my first one back in 2009.

Another track ID from towards the end of of Amnesia.

Ha! This is legendary. Love it.

And yeah that was the busiest Cocoon I’ve been to since my first one back in 2009.

Another track ID from towards the end of of Amnesia.

This was played at after party too, great tune.
Il get a run through of tunes I remember at some point today if I survive work.

Just getting chance for quick review of the main tracks I remember from amnesia.

I didnt arrive to amnesia til after 3 as I came from pikes but what I heard of Peggy's set was ok.
She played 'Fargetta - music is moving' which is an old school rave anthem and I really enjoyed that.

https://youtu.be/Z3I8f4nfCSM

She played the 'laurent garnier - feeling good' track, sounded good in the terrace but its big safe festival type track. She finished with her own track 'it makes you forget' (or was it starry night?) either way most of the crowd loved it. For me it wasn't really a 'cocoon' set but she did what she was there to do which was help ram the place out.

Sven came on and I really really enjoyed his set. He went straight in no kissing
Early in the set he played 'kink - I remember (303 version)' and really had the terrace going.

He played 'rebuke - jump ship' and the drum solo breakdown really got the terrace attention then when the beat kicked in it sounded great.

He played lil Louis - French Kiss and fairmont - gazebo (baumel mix) so still pretty pumping at this stage.

As mentioned earlier no cocoon would be complete without some Ricardo Tobar magic and that came from the 'Nadivi' track. This were Sven seemed to bring out the euphoric spacey gems that we love him for.

He played 'Funk d'void - dybala', a cocoon favourite over the years and sounded great, (he also played this at benimussa)

He played 'Hugg & pepp - snabeln' and I don't have to tell anyone how amazing this was, it's pure euphoria

In the last hour and probably the track of the night for me was 'Paul nazca - memory', this was prime peak time in the terrace and the build that starts midway on the track seemed to go on for ages I think I had my eyes closed the whole time haha and then when the beat came in the whole crowed was elated. Such a good track this is!

His last track (before the encore) was simply beautiful and perfect. 'Stephen brown - sweet nothing'
The whole terrace sat down on the floor in appreciation and applauded during this track. Although I was sat on the floor I felt like I was being transported into outer space haha. imo it is just a stunning piece of warm spacey synths!
Slightly awkward though as this is a tune without a 'drop' and I'd say most of the floor probably weren't familiar with this tune so some people got bored waiting for the drop and just stood up again lol. Such a perfect end to the night.

I actually can't remember what the encore was, but some tracks above I just can't get them out of my head since last Monday. Few more will probably come back to me.

Il put up some of the tracks from benimussa and the rabbit hole when I get a chance.

Last edited:
Just getting chance for quick review of the main tracks I remember from amnesia.

I didnt arrive to amnesia til after 3 as I came from pikes but what I heard of Peggy's set was ok.
She played 'Fargetta - music is moving' which is an old school rave anthem and I really enjoyed that.

She played the 'laurent garnier - feeling good' track, sounded good in the terrace but its big safe festival type track. She finished with her own track 'it makes you forget' (or was it starry night?) either way most of the crowd loved it. For me it wasn't really a 'cocoon' set but she did what she was there to do which was help ram the place out.

Sven came on and I really really enjoyed his set. He went straight in no kissing
Early in the set he played 'kink - I remember (303 version)' and really had the terrace going.

He played 'rebuke - jump ship' and the drum solo breakdown really got the terrace attention then when the beat kicked in it sounded great.

He played lil Louis - French Kiss and fairmont - gazebo (baumel mix) so still pretty pumping at this stage.

As mentioned earlier no cocoon would be complete without some Ricardo Tobar magic and that came from the 'Nadivi' track. This were Sven seemed to bring out the euphoric spacey gems that we love him for.

He played 'Funk d'void - dybala', a cocoon favourite over the years and sounded great, (he also played this at benimussa)

He played 'Hugg & pepp - snabeln' and I don't have to tell anyone how amazing this was, it's pure euphoria

In the last hour and probably the track of the night for me was 'Paul nazca - memory', this was prime peak time in the terrace and the build that starts midway on the track seemed to go on for ages I think I had my eyes closed the whole time haha and then when the beat came in the whole crowed was elated. Such a good track this is!

His last track (before the encore) was simply beautiful and perfect. 'Stephen brown - sweet nothing'
The whole terrace sat down on the floor in appreciation and applauded during this track. Although I was sat on the floor I felt like I was be transported into outer space during this track lol. imo it is just a stunning piece of warm spacey synths!
Slightly awkward though as this is a tune without a 'drop' and I'd say most of the floor probably weren't familiar with this tune so some people got bored waiting for the drop and just stood up again haha. Such a perfect end to the night.

I actually can't remember what the encore was, but some tracks above I just can't get them out of my head since last Monday. Few more will probably come back to me.

Il put up some of the tracks from benimussa and the rabbit hole when I get a chance.

was so good to see you man!

Phones clearly allowed for soundhound, Just don’t dare point it at the dj or put it above waist height!
Most of those tracks I'd say cocoon regulars would recognise, no shazam needed at all.

I do remember trying to shazam something in the rabbit hole though and it wouldnt even work no signal in there.

Most of those tracks I'd say cocoon regulars would recognise, no shazam needed at all.

I do remember trying to shazam something in the rabbit hole though and it wouldnt even work no signal in there.
It wasn’t a dig at you mate. More a nod to hypocrisy elsewhere here. I haven’t been a cocoon regular for a v long time but it sounds like you had a great time and we need a lot more of that where the underground is concerned. Brilliant stamina, I doff my cap.

The whole terrace sat down on the floor in appreciation and applauded during this track. Although I was sat on the floor I felt like I was being transported into outer space haha. imo it is just a stunning piece of warm spacey synths!
Slightly awkward though as this is a tune without a 'drop' and I'd say most of the floor probably weren't familiar with this tune so some people got bored waiting for the drop and just stood up again lol. Such a perfect end to the night.

Awesome post....forgot about some of those, time to reminisce on YouTube.

If my memory serves me correctly 'Stephen Brown - Sweet Nothing' was also the record that he closed the outside of Benimussa Park with... I was in too much of a trance to Shazam then and hearing that again this morning has brought back some great memories. Incredible moment! Thanks Soha!

Back