Cocoon20 - Discussion thread

Nobody on here by any chance knows the ID of this record do they

Sven played it at Underground last week and again at Amnesia. Zilch from Shazam and it’s driving me a tad mental!

I didn’t think the atmosphere during Sven at DC10 was that bad to be fair then I can guess at Cocoon it’s probably a very different matter.

sounding like a broken record but cocoon still the best, AGAIN best night-out of my holidays. arrived at 0.30 and joined an unforgettable journey. nicely busy, the ‚right‘ crowd and svens family all over the place, his mother and brother dancing on the floor first row for a while.

main room had it hard, I checked carl craig for a while who started with almost no crowd, which was a shame as he had specially unbuttoned his shirt to the navel for the occasion. he played rather fast house music. when I returned at the end of his set he had an ok crowd. he closed with blue monday, which is a bit cheap to play for reactions these days. especially when nastia follows you with dubby techno.

returned to the terrace where it was absolute mayhem. sven again wearing a napkin as turban - mayhem. loots of classic tracks, always more house than techno.
I left to the tunes of funk d void - diabla at 5.45, which seemed like
the perfect end to this night, so I staggered out and had one of those vegan burgers for 10 euros. was acually quite nice and saved me from an even worse hangover.
oh and thanks for the beer, stivi :)

standout track of the night by sven:

yeah this monday was one of the best of the season. as much as I'm a fan of cocoon, this summer I didn't always leave fully satisfied. but that one was great.

now recharge batteries and get ready for the big one in two weeks time.

Is it fair to say, as successful as Cocoon has been this year, that Sven hasn’t really set the world on fire musically? Seems to be quite a few muted reviews of his sets and lots of reports of repeat tunes or predictable classics.

Is it fair to say, as successful as Cocoon has been this year, that Sven hasn’t really set the world on fire musically? Seems to be quite a few muted reviews of his sets and lots of reports of repeat tunes or predictable classics.

I think this has been a pattern for the last two or maybe already three years. he's simply a little less creative when it comes to putting his sets together, but tbh you really only can tell if you go and hear him out regularly. if you hear him twice a year, you can't tell. but if you see him 2-3 times a month, then you definitely can. the music he plays is still fantastic, but he doesn't change tunes around as much as previously and maybe also plays certain tunes for a longer period than years ago. many people (including me) did notice that.

I have to say though, the last two sets I caught (both his all night longs, the one at underground and the one at amnesia just this monday) were both fantastic. the sets weren't the same and the vibe was totally different. those were the two best cocoons of the season for me until now.

as for the closing party - I'm gonna repeat one thing I've said various times before: for openings and closings, where everyone knows there will be an after where sven will play another 8-12 hours, I always find he holds back a little during the night. so for the closing, at amnesia you can definitely expect him playing the hits and then dig out the pearls at the afters. the closing will be very busy by the way, it's easily going to be the busiest cocoon of the season.

Talking about afters...any clues on the venue?

I was waiting for someone to ask this ?

The afters venue is never usually announced until the day or at the very earliest 24 hours before. Previous seasons have included Destino, Benimussa Park, KM5 etc to give you a kind of rough idea of what kind of venue to expect!

Got redemption (points) flights out for next Saturday as some appeared... waiting to see if I can get similar back on Tuesday / Wednesday.

Here's hoping....

After going to both Underground ANL and Amnesia ANL I am bloody excited for this closing now!

Me and you both - absolutely off the radar this weekend and next week until we fly out next weekend.

Can Pilot > Amnesia > Afters! Culinary and musical heaven wrapped into one! Plus the friend I’m travelling with has been coming Cocoon with me in then UK and Ibiza for years and has never experienced the closing + afters so I can’t wait for him to experience this!

Back