COCOON @ Amnesia 2017

One of the top night's of the season on paper, I'm sure it will likely go down as the same live in full effect.

hope so. always a great night when they play together and, for me personally, having dixon in the sandwich playing 2-5 looks like a fantastic idea. can't wait.

hope so. always a great night when they play together and, for me personally, having dixon in the sandwich playing 2-5 looks like a fantastic idea. can't wait.

I agree, Dixon can act as a great opener, but when he plays peak time and dives a little more into the techno realm it is typically really special. In more recent history caught him at an open to close party that went on in a huge warehouse in the Bronx in April, his selection from 1am - 430am (or so) was just unbelievable.

How would adriatique & dixon fit into a cocoon night? Last time I saw them in action they played very deep and melodic. I suspect cocoon is hard, pummeling techno?

Its one night im not too clued upon and never been too, would be willing to do a swap for music on to this if things come off

Starting to get excited now! I CANNOT wait !!

How would adriatique & dixon fit into a cocoon night? Last time I saw them in action they played very deep and melodic. I suspect cocoon is hard, pummeling techno?

Its one night im not too clued upon and never been too, would be willing to do a swap for music on to this if things come off

cocoon can be anything from deep & melodic when the likes of âme, dixon and now adriatique play, over to very percussive / minimal house (villalobos, moonear, zip etc) to full blown techno (sven, beyer, slam, klock...).

Unless it's a duff night (and assuming Music On hasn't changed much and numbers are still what they used to be), Cocoon is a way nicer party than Music On imho. Crowd, music, density on dancefloor ... crowds do change but my overriding memories of Music On are too much uninspiring music, agitated people, pushing & shoving, sausage fest and general unpleasantness. Also a very large number of Italians behaving exceptionally badly (even on a bad day Spanish-dominated crowds are usually friendly and well up for a fiesta ... not so with groups of Italian guys when things get coke-fuelled, unfortunately). Perhaps there aren't so many this year that might alter the balance but in the past it's been pretty awful and one of the worst crushes on the party calendar.

Peak time Dixon in the terrace makes me wanna book a flight. He's got some really great tracks he's been hammering lately. Adriatique in the main room is icing on the cake. Pretty much an ideal party for me.

Unless it's a duff night (and assuming Music On hasn't changed much and numbers are still what they used to be), Cocoon is a way nicer party than Music On imho. Crowd, music, density on dancefloor ... crowds do change but my overriding memories of Music On are too much uninspiring music, agitated people, pushing & shoving, sausage fest and general unpleasantness. Also a very large number of Italians behaving exceptionally badly (even on a bad day Spanish-dominated crowds are usually friendly and well up for a fiesta ... not so with groups of Italian guys when things get coke-fuelled, unfortunately). Perhaps there aren't so many this year that might alter the balance but in the past it's been pretty awful and one of the worst crushes on the party calendar.
Agree about the Italians, especially the women glammed up to the max, there for posing and attention instead of dancing, the lads had no respect for anyone, pushing right to the front not giving a shit about anyones personal space. (Mind you, if they go to a paradise night i suspect they would say the same about us Brits)

That line up is as good as afterlife closing for me musically

I'd say Music On had the leg up on Cocoon this year. I heard all the horror stories about Music On, but found both rooms to be busy but just perfectly so. Cocoon on both dates (July 10th and 17th) I went to kinda struggled with the number of ppl so there was some vibe missing, but Music On had more and the music was just as good if not better and everyone was in lock step.

The date I went to Music On was July 7th for Carola and Von Stroke in the terrace, and Pullen, Felix Da Housecat, and Neverdogs in Main as a frame of reference.

I'm still going. Played through it with prydz and deadmau5 tonight for what I thought would be something completely different. Prydz was as expected but the latter playing industrial techno for an hour was something of a surprise. Back on topic, Dixon and Sven were fab. Slow start from Sven but enabled Dixon to play peak time. My head hurts. Time for bed. Check out is at 11am. There maybe trouble ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still going. Played through it with prydz and deadmau5 tonight for what I thought would be something completely different. Prydz was as expected but the latter playing industrial techno for an hour was something of a surprise. Back on topic, Dixon and Sven were fab. Slow start from Sven but enabled Dixon to play peak time. My head hurts. Time for bed. Check out is at 11am. There maybe trouble ahead.

:lol::lol: How did the crowd at Hi react to that? Was there a degree of "what the f*** is this?"

P.S - no need for a quick reply, I'll wait to you're at least starting to get back to normality.......

I'm guessing Stivi is still at the afters

there wasn´t an after this week. that didn´t stop us to carry on at a friend´s house though - but it was just us, no cocoon djs or anything.

originally I wanted to be at amnesia very early, but in the end only got after 1:30am. was in the main room first for a bit of adriatique and then went over to see dixon. I loved his set and I can´t recall seeing him playing such a pumping set ever - I mean it wasn´t hard techno or anything, but it certainly also wasn´t his standard deep dixon set. really liked it. sven was also good afterwards.

What a night!
Arrived at 12:45 and went straight to the Terrace for Sven's warm-up. As @LuckyBlueSuit said, it started slow but it was just the intro I wanted after 2 heavy nights. As the goodies kicked in, and Dixon came on, the night developed into a wonderful dreamy journey of musical landscapes, touching on both melancholy and ecstasy at times. I didn't move from my spot on the terrace until 6am and that was only because I wanted to check out Ilario for a bit. But I didn't stay for long and had to go back to the Terrace for another hour and sample some more of that beautiful feeling.

Club was nicely busy all night but there was always room to dance. You felt that the crowd was there for the music, no aggro or attitude. Night of the year for me so far, no doubt. I'd even say, night of the last 2 years, at this moment.

@stivi - sorry I didn't get a chance to say bye. Had a quick look round but I was away with the fairies by the end. :confused: Great to see you though. You caught me in one of my more 'sober' moments thankfully! ;)

Back