Brexit

Oh, dear, the latest set of "Just In Case" warnings suggests that if there's no deal and no "emergency deal/arrangements" flights may well not be allowed to and from the EU, something about recognising safety standards.

Can't see it happening myself, but it's been such an omnishambles the EU could hold it as a blackmail tool, "give us the deal we (the EU) want or your planes won't fly and your holidays are stuffed".

Where's Wally, he's supposed to be on stage in half-an-hour? Still stuck at Southend, bruv, waiting for his plane to go.

Question from a neighbor who hasn't followed it in detail :
Did the brexiters talk about the Irish border problem BEFORE the referendum?

No. Because they either a) - most likely - didn't have enough knowledge/do enough research to think it would be an obstacle,
or
b) even if they did, they never thought they would win.

I can't recall it being part of the discourse. If it did get any coverage, it certainly wasn't prevalent enough, given how much of an issue it evidently is. There was a N.Irish gentleman who called into LBC this morning, who said that when Brexit was first discussed, he mooted this point to his Pro-Leave English friends and they dismissed him.

Here in France the BIG problem will be in Calais.
Like in Dover I think...
The other day a study said that if we'll have a hard brexit, we'll have 27km of traffic jam every day.
5 days to cross the border for the lorries...

I can believe it. Operation Stack often curtails me, being Kent-based. The next time, will no doubt coincide with the redevelopment of the M20 to a "smart motorway", which will only exasperate the situation further.
Kent voted Leave by the way. Still grimace internally, and smile externally when any of my leaver friends complain about our traffic nightmare in the county.

Mad really, as surely that's a real money spinner: a place where hungry and thirsty lorry drivers can stop, rest and grab something to eat?

Generally speaking, as these costs picked up/reimbursed by the employer? Or does the driver pick up the tab?

Unaffordable for all the eastern Europe drivers... Who today represent 70% of the long distance drivers...

Yes, of course .. I don't know for UK, but here the companies who own the highways are treating lorry drivers like shit.
The basic human rights of these people are not respected
A place to eat, to wash and to sleep in normal conditions.

Back